Author Topic: Art of the Stormlight Archive (and other merchandise stuff)  (Read 3391 times)

Phaz

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Does anyone (Peter?) know if there's marketing plans for any of the Stormlight archive artwork?  It looks gorgeous. 

I know I would pay for prints of the sketches from the book.  I'd probably even bid quite a bit on at auction (however unlikely that would be) if any originals were for sale.   Same goes for anything that was drawn up but not included (if there were any)

I know merchandising is somewhat of a divisive topic, since some people look down upon it, but I really want to hang up some stuff in my room or throw things on my bookcase from the series. 

The same goes with other books as well.  Does anyone know if there was any progress made on a Nightblood replica, etc?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 10:37:56 PM by Phaz »

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
Re: Art of the Stormlight Archive (and other merchandise stuff)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 12:36:28 AM »
I think most people out there haven't seen the images you're talking about yet... you'd need an ARC or some other inside track for access to them. And from what I understand, the print quality of the ARC is bare-bones. The artwork will look much finer in the full hardback.

I think it's still early to speculate on this stuff, but I'm sure something will be put together eventually. If one can make it to Dragon*Con this year, I believe there's a Monday morning panel that focuses specifically on this very topic.

I want a big ol' landscape poster of the cover painting without the markup, but I don't know if that's something that has to come through Whelan or Tor or what.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 12:45:17 AM by Inkthinker »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 01:18:09 AM »
Brandon has talked to Michael Whelan about a landscape cover poster. He has his own print store and they are not cheap. We'll have to see what happens. (Oh, and you know how Brandon bought the original art for the WARBREAKER cover from Dan Dos Santos? The original art for THE WAY OF KINGS is so much more expensive than that that Brandon probably won't buy it...unless the book hits #1 on the NYT and his bonuses kick in; then he might have enough...)

There will be poster versions of the endpage art that so far none of you have seen. Isaac designed them as posters from the start. Also, Inkthinker's sketchbook art is a high enough resolution to do something with. At the moment I can't remember what rights we bought regarding that. ;)

If you're coming to Dragon*Con, there will be an Art of THE WAY OF KINGS panel on Monday featuring Inkthinker and Isaac, as well as Brandon and Tor's art director Irene Gallo. I'll be there too. [EDIT: Oh, I see you said that already.]
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 01:20:06 AM by Peter Ahlstrom »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 10:15:51 AM »
I guess I am allowed to talk about it some, then.  ;D

Yeah, I'd want to make something happen eventually.  When the book is out we'll be better able to gauge the response to the artwork and see what Brandon and Co. want to do.

In the meantime, if you can make that panel at Dragon*Con there should be a chance to hear all about how the artwork in this book has been handled different from most any novel I can think of, and hopefully you'll even get to see some super-secret behind-the-scenes work that only a few have ever laid eyes upon. Good times.

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 01:49:15 PM »
Brandon has talked to Michael Whelan about a landscape cover poster. He has his own print store and they are not cheap. We'll have to see what happens. (Oh, and you know how Brandon bought the original art for the WARBREAKER cover from Dan Dos Santos? The original art for THE WAY OF KINGS is so much more expensive than that that Brandon probably won't buy it...unless the book hits #1 on the NYT and his bonuses kick in; then he might have enough...)

There will be poster versions of the endpage art that so far none of you have seen. Isaac designed them as posters from the start. Also, Inkthinker's sketchbook art is a high enough resolution to do something with. At the moment I can't remember what rights we bought regarding that. ;)

If you're coming to Dragon*Con, there will be an Art of THE WAY OF KINGS panel on Monday featuring Inkthinker and Isaac, as well as Brandon and Tor's art director Irene Gallo. I'll be there too. [EDIT: Oh, I see you said that already.]

I figured as much with stuff like the cover art.  For the stuff inside the book itself was that all digital, etc so there weren't really 'original' copies?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 05:41:32 PM »
Yes, the interior art was all done digitally. But that doesn't mean we can't sell prints.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!