Author Topic: Funny pic that sums up the Wheel of Time  (Read 5680 times)

Ruthie

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Funny pic that sums up the Wheel of Time
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 02:21:17 PM »
I mean really, the series would totally suck if Egwene's collapsing chair weren't in it. It was totally worth the pages and pages spent on it.

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 10:23:18 AM »
I'll be honest, I think I must have entirely tuned out the pages describing furniture, because I don't remember them at all.

I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing...

Warbreaker

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 09:46:50 PM »
Speaking of inanimate objects being important characters, Wilson from Castaway  and Nightblood were both important.  I'm visually-impaired and even with the magnification software can't really see the picture but I'll give you a laugh anyway.

Mellington the loony Gold Misting

• Level 5
  • Hoid's deranged yet cute stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 03:27:39 PM »
You know...when it turns out that the item being described in detail is a ter'angreal or a Mercedes Benz logo I can absolutely understand why we're spending so much time on it.  Then there are the giant swaths of pages on furniture which gives insight into a viewpoint character's personality/values.  Then there are times when it's just a random piece of furniture belonging to someone who isn't important and who will die half a page after we're done inventorying their household.  Or times when random character who was just made up and who serves no real purpose but to be a plot device/audience for important character to preach at for a single scene has a totally awesome chair and we need to hear all about it...for no real reason.

AllWrong

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 02:39:51 PM »
Edgar Rice Burroughs, anyone?  Tarzan (and John Carter) books are 200 pages (if that).  180 of them are descriptions of the scenery.  I mean, I love the guy's writing, just like I do WoT, but really...

Guenhywvar

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 06:04:26 PM »
description is good in moderation, too much and the reader gets bored, and too little and the reader has no idea what's happening, maybe alto of authors prefer to overdescribe than underdescribe?