Author Topic: Elantris - *Some spoilers*  (Read 1924 times)

Hobbun

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Elantris - *Some spoilers*
« on: August 16, 2010, 01:33:31 PM »
About a month and a half ago, I started a thread asking everyone's opinion on which of Brandon's books should I start first, once I had finished another series I was working on.

Well, I finally finished up the series and decided to go with Brandon's first book, Elantris. I am only about 150 pages in, but I will say I am enjoying it, and is an easy read. Now to clarify, I don't mean 'easy' read as in simple. But easy as quick to get into, a fun read, and therefore stay interested.

I have found one of two things can happen with myself when  starting a book. I either find myself rereading several passages because I am saying "Wait, what they say again?" or "This is starting to drag a bit." and find I am forcing myself to continue reading, telling myself "Ok, I know this will improve if I just keep reading."

Or, I will begin a book and it will just 'flow', everything makes sense and becomes very 'easy' to read. It is where I am telling myself, "Ok, after this chapter I am done." However, when I finish, I look how many pages are for the next chapter and tell myself "Oh, this is only 10 more pages, I will read one more."

I have found Elantris to be the latter. I was hooked as soon as I started the Prologue. I had gone into Elantris, not knowing anything about the book, not even reading the back of it (which is an oddity for me). The description of the city of Elantris had me enthralled and was looking forward to the story dealing with this utopian of a city. And then the final line of "Eternity ended 10 years ago." I was immediately intrigued.

I will say, there have been a couple of things that have annoyed me, but they are small overall. But there have been a couple of times Brandon has introduced a word, a word for his world that has a different meaning, and really did not describe what it meant.

The two I can think of right now is ‘sule’ and ‘kolo’.  I think I finally was able to figure out ‘sule’ is a substitution for what I believe is ‘friend.’ But I’m not sure what ‘kolo’ is?  Does it just mean ‘ok’? It would have been nice if Brandon had put in (after using the words for the first time), some kind of indication what they meant. Or if he did, I just missed it.

But again, this complaint is minor, and as I said, I am enjoying the book a great deal.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 03:10:55 PM by Hobbun »

JustTee

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Re: Elantris - *Some spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 02:23:46 PM »
Not knowing what the duladel (forgive me if this is spelled wrong, I'm at work...haha) is saying is kind of on purpose, I believe. You figure it out by the end of the book, but the point is that it's a foreign language to everyone but the one guy speaking it, so explaining it would feel a bit forced, I think.

I like when books don't hit you over the head with explanations. That being said, I prefer Brandon's methods of introducing new things as opposed to say, Steven Erikson. I love the Malazan books, but each time you start a new one, you spend the first 30% (or more) of the book generally puzzled and confused.

Hobbun

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 04:29:58 PM »
Ahh, ok. Was not aware you not knowing was done purposefully. I’m just surprised Raoden does not ask him what they mean, since Galladon uses them so often with him. I mean if it is a foreign tongue and Raoden doesn’t understand, I was assuming that he knew, since he did not ask.

I can understand you don’t want to be hit over the head with explanations, but if it’s something that is used often (like with sule and koko), I’d just like a one-time translation of what is said so I am not sitting there each time thinking I am missing something important. But if it was done purposefully, for some plot reason, then I guess I can understand, just as long as I do find out, eventually.  :)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 06:31:03 PM »
I think Raoden does know those few words already. He's met Dulas before.

Every fantasy book has some kind of learning curve, and some handle it differently than others. Some readers get annoyed if you explain things too much. I think Brandon strikes for a balance somewhere in the middle.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Hobbun

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 07:03:08 PM »
Thanks for your input, Peter.

I also don't like a lot of information beat over my head, as long as it's pretty obvious in the story what it represents. But with the two words I have indicated (sule and kolo), it is not obvious (at least for me). So I am sitting there wondering what the heck he is saying. I believe 'sule' represents 'friend', but I am not positive.

As long as I find out eventually, that works for me. But if it is something that just isn't explained or made obvious in a plot device, I'll be a little annoyed. However, again, it would still be a minor complaint because as I said, I am enjoying the book a great deal.

Morderkaine

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 10:00:22 PM »
The annotation for Chapter 4 does a pretty good job of explaining it. I suggest giving it a read, just don't read the spoilers until you've read the whole book.

Hobbun

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 12:52:19 AM »
Yes, that did help, thanks.

Both sule and kolo were pretty similar to what I thought they were. I was thinking that sule was 'friend', which Brandon did make reference to in the annotation. I was thinking that kolo was 'ok? ,used like a question at the end of the sentence. His description was similar in ',eh?' or ',understand?'  From how I read it, it doesn't necessarily translate to one word, but is that word that is the end of the sentence that confirms something by a question.  "This is the book, right?" or  "You wanted to leave at 10, correct?"  At least that's how I understand it.