Author Topic: Brandon's chat room  (Read 6232 times)

Terrisman243

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Join the Omegas!
    • View Profile
Brandon's chat room
« on: July 12, 2010, 04:07:35 PM »
So Brandon had a chat room last night, and Dragonmount.com was kind enough to copy it all.
Here it is for anyone interested:
http://forums.dragonmount.com/index.php/topic,59600.msg1741700.html#msg1741700

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
Re: Brandon's chat room
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 05:59:32 PM »
Brandon and Christopher Paolini on one panel?  *drool*
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 09:28:49 PM »

*drools all over Christopher Paolini's writing so that no one else has to suffer through it*

I'm doing this for your own good!
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

Obsessiforge

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 09:59:34 PM »
Wolfstar is a hero among men. Truly! My former theater director had to do an adaptation of Eragon for the stage once. It...did not work. at all. Mostly because their objective is revealed futile halfway through and its a lot of wandering around. Deeply saddening to audiences.

Anyways. I'm wishing I'd been able to make it to that.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 10:02:03 PM »

Oh... this can't be good.. you do realize that such a vast difference in creative talent, originality, and pure writing ability brought within such a close proximity could very well rip a hole in the fabric of reality, right?

If only the ostrich incident had happened in reality, and not the twisted world within which I live...
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 10:13:29 PM »
Like it or not, Paolini has sold more books. So there are a large number of Paolini fans who will go to the panel...and get to hear Brandon and Patrick be awesome.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Obsessiforge

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 10:22:55 PM »
Well, that's where we come in, right? The mob of devoted fans, dedicated to spreading the word of Sandersonism to the (insert number) corners of the earth?

In fact, I issue a challenge! Everybody hold on a second while I make a thread for my challenge.

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 03:18:00 AM »
Like it or not, Paolini has sold more books. So there are a large number of Paolini fans who will go to the panel...and get to hear Brandon and Patrick be awesome.

I'm just thanking the Forgotten Gods that Stephanie Meyer isn't included with her glampires.  If that signing were being held in my backyard, even with Brandon there, I would not attend.
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

Obsessiforge

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 05:23:57 AM »

I'm just thanking the Forgotten Gods that Stephanie Meyer isn't included with her glampires.  If that signing were being held in my backyard, even with Brandon there, I would not attend.

That's why I'm saying after we take down Paolini, Meyers is next to go. THEY WILL FEEL OUR WRATH.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 06:04:10 AM »

Oh... this can't be good.. you do realize that such a vast difference in creative talent, originality, and pure writing ability brought within such a close proximity could very well rip a hole in the fabric of reality, right?

If only the ostrich incident had happened in reality, and not the twisted world within which I live...

*drools all over Christopher Paolini's writing so that no one else has to suffer through it*

Hey, I like the Inheritance books!  It was my first epic fantasy book!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 07:17:08 AM »

Hey, I like the Inheritance books!  It was my first epic fantasy book!

BABABAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Obsessiforge

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 08:25:39 AM »

BABABAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

what he said, man!

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 08:31:42 AM »
 >:(
You guys can be real snobs sometimes.

Obsessiforge

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 09:53:52 AM »
Now here is where I guess I've got to come in and tell you why I can't take Paolini's work seriously. Its not an issue of snobbiness, I just read that first book and it made me very very sad. I was seeing bits and pieces of cliched plots that had been done before put together in what was honestly kind of a haphazard manner. I mean, from the whole "My uncle who raised me is dead I must quest for understanding, also run for my life" thing was a little Luke Skywalker meets...well everyone else. And the fact that the magical mystical [noun] him and Old Man Mentorpants are search-questing for for hundreds and hundreds of pages ends up being...well, completely redundant is a huge letdown for the readers.

I've found that the best speculative fiction is the kind that is subtle with its cliches, the kind that doesn't immediately announce itself as something you've seen before. Inheritance instead, for me at least, waved a big flashy sign saying "YARR, HERE THERE BE BADLY REHASHED TOLKIEN!"

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 10:10:42 AM »
>:(
You guys can be real snobs sometimes.

I really do like Paolini's books.  I'm stuck in the story.  He is not however a good author.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。