Author Topic: Magic of the Stormlight Archives  (Read 13430 times)

Obsessiforge

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Magic of the Stormlight Archives
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 06:51:30 AM »
really? I haven't read them either (I want to save it) but that sounds like they're crucial right off the bat, right?

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 07:01:33 AM »
really? I haven't read them either (I want to save it) but that sounds like they're crucial right off the bat, right?

My understanding is that pretty much any battle in WoK's is decided by how many Shardknights each side has.

Its like if you are a normal army with two guys in Iron Man armor, you better hope that the other side doesn't have 3 guys in Iron Man armor. :D
Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 07:52:00 AM »

My understanding is that pretty much any battle in WoK's is decided by how many Shardknights each side has.

Its like if you are a normal army with two guys in Iron Man armor, you better hope that the other side doesn't have 3 guys in Iron Man armor. :D
Basically, yeah.  But because they're super rare it's more like one side might have a plate OR a sword and the other side might have two.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Obsessiforge

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 07:59:31 AM »
Lol, that Iron Man analogy really pulls the lid off the target audience here. Especially since it put me so quickly at ease...

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 08:09:19 AM »
Okay, so everyone failed their Detect Sarcasm checks...
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010, 02:39:29 PM »

That's because there's no way to hear sarcasm in text and there are people stupid enough to make your previous statement in complete seriousness.

Seriously, use sarcasm tags next time.
Nature hates being reified.

Obsessiforge

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2010, 04:01:59 PM »
I read on some website...that there are these weapons/armors that are sort of a big deal.

The Shardblades/Shard-armour-whatsits? How do you figure?

I mean, admittedly, I haven't read the sample chapters yet, but I have a feeling that the Blades and armour won't have that much of an impact on the story. MAYBE a few mentions here and there, in passing, but I doubt they'll tie into any of the book's plotlines.

Sarcasm whatsits? How do you figure?

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2010, 04:06:44 PM »
Nice reference.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2010, 07:48:25 PM »
I caught the sarcasm. It was pretty thick in my opinion.
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2010, 08:33:06 PM »
I caught the sarcasm. It was pretty thick in my opinion.

I agree.

Also, I swear I've heard the total number of magic systems throughout SA is in 30's as well. I didn't hear an exact number, but I remember hearing "30's" and thinking "What the...?!" Unfortunately, I can't remember where I heard/read it at....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2010, 05:21:32 AM »
I'm pretty positive he said, and I paraphrase, Depending on how you count, there can be anywhere from 10 to 30ish magic systems.  You can take every individual way of using magic and count that as one, and you get 30...ish.  However, many of those are related, and if you count a group of related magics as one, then you get closer to 10.
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2010, 04:35:42 PM »
Ah. Yes. That makes much more sense....and actually, now that you state it like that--with even just a paraphrase--I'm starting to remember reading that....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2010, 11:43:56 PM »
Since we're talking about magic systems... could Feruchemy have its own shard, just like Allomancy is paired with Preservation, and Hermalurgy is paired with Ruin.  It can't be THAT unrealistic (in Brandon's world) to create a shard (a "god" one might say) who is intent on BALANCING the world.

The closest thing I can think of to this, is the gods of Balance in the Dragonlance universe.  There are clear gods of light, and gods of darkness, but there are also gods who work to maintain the balance between the others.

What do you guys think?
Now why'd you have to go and push that button?!

- Famous Words of Doom.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2010, 12:16:56 AM »

No Feruchemy doesn't have it's own Shard.  Brandon has basically said it.  At the time we had Warbreaker, Elantris, and Mistborn.  He said we have seen (I can't remember the numbers exactly) 5 shards, 4 of which we've seen direct effects of.  Something like that though I'm pretty sure I'm wrong about the numbers.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2010, 03:52:15 AM »
Actually, now that you say that... I somewhat recall reading that at one point or another.  Has Brandon said whether Shards "cross" worlds?  I'm guessing no, since there hasn't been any crossing of magic systems in the books, but would it be possible that a Shard created 2 different magic systems?
Now why'd you have to go and push that button?!

- Famous Words of Doom.