Author Topic: Magic of the Stormlight Archives  (Read 14611 times)

happyman

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Magic of the Stormlight Archives
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2010, 09:01:16 PM »
Actually, now that you say that... I somewhat recall reading that at one point or another.  Has Brandon said whether Shards "cross" worlds?  I'm guessing no, since there hasn't been any crossing of magic systems in the books, but would it be possible that a Shard created 2 different magic systems?

My take on the cosmology is that Shard's don't so much create magic systems as represent them.  That is, the magic exists, latently, in the entire universe, with each Shard attuned to its own part of the natural order.  Then every Shard that creates or influences a world will naturally, almost automatically, make creations that are also "more" attuned to that power or aspect of creation than anywhere else, resulting in powers that we call magical simply because baseline humans can't access it.
Nature hates being reified.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2010, 01:28:51 AM »
My take is that the Shards output a constant, passive flow of magical energy that influences everything in its vicinity, specifically its world.  This ambient energy changes humans, in the case of Allomancy, and certain aspects of the world, in the case of Hemalurgy.  When multiple shards show up in the same world, their different energies produce additional effects, like Feruchemy.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Nightfire107

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2010, 03:59:41 AM »
I personally don't think Hoid is a Shard.  He does clearly have epic powers, though.

I seem to recall that hoid is bonded to a shard.
"We're Bridge Four, we've been around. We've liven in the crem and been used as bait. If it helps you survive, it's good. That's all that needs to be said about it."

JustTee

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2010, 03:18:46 PM »
My take is that the Shards output a constant, passive flow of magical energy that influences everything in its vicinity, specifically its world.  This ambient energy changes humans, in the case of Allomancy, and certain aspects of the world, in the case of Hemalurgy.  When multiple shards show up in the same world, their different energies produce additional effects, like Feruchemy.

My take on this is similar, but a bit shifted.

From what I understand, the genetics of the people on given planets determine their reaction (if any) to the influence of a shard's presence.

Brandon said at some point, talking about Mistborn and Elantris, that if you took people from one planet and transported them to the other, that they wouldn't neccessarily lose or gain any magic - it all had to due with the specifics of their genetics.

So to me, that means that the shards just put out a passive  "magic" passive field. If you have the correct genetic structure, you can then take advantage of that field to perform extraordinary feats. Genetics play a big part in the magic systems. How much of a part I haven't really figured out, but there's definitely something.

As for the shard influencing people - I think that's where the aspect of the shard matters. Less so than the specifics of the magical system involved, and more just that a shard like Ruin influences just general destruction. Endowement is about helping and bestowing blessings on people, essentially. It's like the aspect of the shard influences the personalities of the people that use its power, and the person bonded to the shard itself even more so.

Maybe Hoid's shard is Wanderlust? :P

My 2 cents.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2010, 07:46:20 PM »
I personally don't think Hoid is a Shard.  He does clearly have epic powers, though.

I seem to recall that hoid is bonded to a shard.
Brandon said that the post which first reported this had several important errors and should not be counted as anything more than speculation.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2010, 07:57:24 PM »

Brandon said at some point, talking about Mistborn and Elantris, that if you took people from one planet and transported them to the other, that they wouldn't neccessarily lose or gain any magic - it all had to due with the specifics of their genetics.

Because it states that they wouldn't lose any magic I would say that the energy output buy a shard affects there genetics.  After they leave a planet there genetics stay the same so the magic comes from there body not from the shard.  The genetic mutation is what comes from the shard. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 03:05:40 PM by Rrikor »

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2010, 08:41:05 PM »
I think genetics are one of several aspects that shape how a magic system forms.  One is what sort of Shard it comes from, another is the world itself, and third is the genetics of the people.  There are probably other factors as well, but these are the ones that I've observed.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Obsessiforge

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2010, 11:53:01 PM »

From what I understand, the genetics of the people on given planets determine their reaction (if any) to the influence of a shard's presence.

So to me, that means that the shards just put out a passive  "magic" passive field. If you have the correct genetic structure, you can then take advantage of that field to perform extraordinary feats. Genetics play a big part in the magic systems. How much of a part I haven't really figured out, but there's definitely something.

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2010, 12:32:47 AM »
Technically, midichlorians were a ubiquitous symbiotic lifeform (that reminds me of Brandon's idea of viruses that give people superpowers, now that I think about it...) and not a passive magical field, but whatevs. :)

Obsessiforge

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2010, 02:39:08 AM »
I was referring to having an anomaly in your genetic structure (Midi-chlorians) that allow you access to a passive, magical field. Perhaps one that "binds us and penetrates us?"

in OTHER news, as this is supposed to be a thread about the magic of the Stormlight Archives, here's an interview with Brandon where he goes into how the magic system is going to be based on the three great forces, I.E. Gravity, Electro-Magnetic Force and Nuclear Force.

http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2010/07/cc-interview-brandon-sanderson.html

I swear to Sazed, if there's a dude in these archives that can emit radiation as his magical ability, I'm gonna flip out. That would be WAY TO FRICKIN' AWESOME.

I mean, it already sounds like Dr. Manhattan meets Magneto meets Gravitron. Could it get more awesome?

« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 02:44:59 AM by Obsessiforge »

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2010, 01:32:59 AM »
So, possible minor spoiler for people who haven't read the preview...

The nuclear force is also the force that binds things together. We may have already seen a system based on that in the preview chapters.

Obsessiforge

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2010, 03:57:37 AM »
ok, so not so much radiation based. but still.

'what's that? you don't like my hat/pants combination? well lets see how much you like it when I Literally UNDO the very forces that keep your molecules together! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!'

So...Still pretty much Dr. Manhattan, non?

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/io9/2009/02/manhattanmoloch2.jpg

Coupled with the proclivity Brandon's characters tend to have for, well, wearing clothes? This could very well be the most awesome thing ever.

Terrisman243

• Level 5
  • Join the Omegas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2010, 05:43:53 PM »

My take on this is similar, but a bit shifted.

Although I doubt Elantrians would be able to do anything., since their magic is tied into their world, which is called.... wait while I check Barnes & Nobles Q&A....  Sel. Sure, the other people would be able to access the Dor.

In fact, isn't that what everyone does? They all channel the 'Dor' or the 'power of creation' (isn't that what Brandon says)
As a note here, the powers granted by all of the metals--even the two divine ones--are not themselves of either Shard.  They are simply tools.  And so, it's possible that one COULD have found a way to reproduce an ability like atium's while using Preservation's power, but it wouldn't be as natural or as easy as using Preservation to fuel Allomancy.

The means of getting powers--Ruin stealing, Preservation gifting--are related to the Shards, but not the powers themselves.

Here it is!
The powers of Ruin and Preservation are Shards of Adonalsium, pieces of the power of creation itself.  Allomancy, Hemalurgy, Feruchemy are manifestations of this power in mortal form, the ability to touch the powers of creation and use them.  These metallic powers are how people's physical forms interpret the use of the Shard, though it's not the only possible way they could be interpreted or used.  It's what the genetics and Realmatic interactions of Scadrial allow for, and has to do with the Spiritual, the Cognitive, and the Physical Realms.

Condensed 'essence' of these godly powers can act as super-fuel for Allomancy, Feruchemy, or really any of the powers.  The form of that super fuel is important.  In liquid form it's most potent, in gas form it's able to fuel Allomancy as if working as a metal.  In physical form it is rigid and does one specific thing.  In the case of atium, it allows sight into the future.  In the case of concentrated Preservation, it gives one a permanent connection to the mists and the powers of creation.  (I.e., it makes them an Allomancer.)

So when a person is burning metals, they aren't using Preservation's body as a fuel so to speak--though they are tapping into the powers of creation just slightly.  When Vin burns the mists, however, she'd doing just that--using the essence of Preservation, the Shard of Adonalsium itself--to fuel Allomancy.  Doing this, however, rips 'troughs' through her body.  It's like forcing far too much pressure through a very small, fragile hose.  That much power eventually vaporizes the corporeal host, which is acting as the block and forcing the power into a single type of conduit (Allomancy) and frees it to be more expansive.

Anywho, to bring this back to WoK, I think that mistspirits seem quite similar to mistwraiths. Does anyone else see this connection? And as to why Kaladin can hear her... Maybe she is sort of like Nightblood? That would be a good question to ask Brandon. Is Kaladin actually hearing her, or is she speaking into his mind and mouthing along?

Sources:
http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?topic=6953.30 (World name)
http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?topic=6655.msg129246#msg129246

Mellington the loony Gold Misting

• Level 5
  • Hoid's deranged yet cute stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2010, 03:55:25 PM »
I've got some theories on Kaladin and his spren.  Most of it is probably nonsense (considering some of the thoughts conflict).

1.  He's able to communicate with spren as a result of magic he doesn't realize he has (and all spren are secretly aware of their surroundings but people don't realize it) and this whole experience awakened that ability/gave him opportunity to spend and extended time with one to discover it.

2.  He's able to raise the level of awareness of spren/things in general.  A sort of golden touch of sentience (and possibly more) that is probably leaking out into his surroundings.  Syl's comment about losing herself if she leaves Kaladin probably points to this option.

3.  He's discovered that spren are aware and can speak to us (no magic on his part involved)...they just generally aren't interested in most people (so this option is "Kaladin is special and Syl decided he was worth talking to").

Right now I tend to favor option number 2.  I think (with what little we have) that Kaladin leaks magic/generates a sphere/creates a field of influence.

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2010, 03:23:04 PM »
It could also be that each spren has an inate link to a certain individual due to being some type of spirit.  Most spren leave that individual at some point so they lose there memory so they wander aimlessly.  Syl has not left Kaliden for an extended period of time so she has retained her sense of self.