Author Topic: Way of King Discussion (Chapters 4-6) *SPOILER ALERT*  (Read 7315 times)

jjb

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Way of King Discussion (Chapters 4-6) *SPOILER ALERT*
« on: July 09, 2010, 02:47:43 AM »
Three new chapters were put up at Tor.com today, so if you haven't yet, check them out now at http://www.tor.com/stories/2010/07/the-way-of-kings-chapters-4-5-and-6

They don't have the text available(only audio), and I was a bit disappointed because I prefer reading to listening. Since I am a visual learner, that way I will have the character's names more ingrained in my brain and I can go at my own pace. I was pleasantly surprised by how well the chapters were read, though. So kudos to Kate Reading and Michael Kramer.

Honestly, I'm not really that interested in Shallan's character right now. I know once the story progresses she'll probably get into some trouble and her character will become interesting, but she's not there yet for me. That whole "I'm going to steal her stone" thing at the end of her storyline so far probably was supposed to be a big plot twist that makes your mind go "Wow!" or "Oh no!" or some strong emotion, but I just thought "Ok. Good for her. She might get interesting soon"

I really got invested in Kaladin's character in these chapters, though. Especially when he became a bridge carrier. At that point the story started to get really interesting for me.

Anyway, I know I haven't done any speculating or much discussion of new character development, but that's what this thread is for, so... Discuss!

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
    • View Profile
Re: Way of King Discussion (Chapters 4-6) *SPOILER ALERT*
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 03:57:03 AM »
Bridge Crews FTW!
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

EndOfDiscOne

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 04:05:53 AM »
I haven't listened to these chapters yet but I remember people mentioning "bridge crews" months ago.  What the hell could be so interesting about a bridge crew?

That was a rhetorical question of course, I'll have to find out for myself  ;)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 04:49:01 AM »
I haven't listened to these chapters yet but I remember people mentioning "bridge crews" months ago.  What the hell could be so interesting about a bridge crew?

Nothing.  You pick up a bridge, run, put it down, pick up a bridge, run, put it down, repeat, repeat, repeat.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

jjb

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 07:12:18 AM »

Nothing.  You pick up a bridge, run, put it down, pick up a bridge, run, put it down, repeat, repeat, repeat.

Simple, really. Anyone could. Arrows shot at you while you're carrying the bridge? No big deal!

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 08:35:41 AM »

Hahahahahahaaaa...  ;D

The Shattered Plains are a fun place.

jcats

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 11:41:16 AM »
omg...  ;D i love this!  i'm gonna be hearing the Slavers voice like that every time i read it.

wow... bridge 4, the only thing i've heard that sounds worse than running through the Trenches of WW1, Bravo mr. Sanderson, bravo  :o

Hobbun

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 12:37:03 PM »
Just how much of the book are they going to put up on the internet ahead of time?

I remember you actually had to wait until the book was released to be able to read any of it.    :D

kari-no-sugata

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 01:16:44 PM »
Just how much of the book are they going to put up on the internet ahead of time?

I remember you actually had to wait until the book was released to be able to read any of it.    :D

Well, it's less than 2 months to go until the book is released. I imagine we'll get another batch of chapters early next month. But, even with all that it'll probably only be about 10% of the whole book, at most.

Every chapter so far, I'm dying to know what happens next. You think I'm not going to buy the book ASAP?  8)

Hobbun

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 01:22:31 PM »
No, didn’t say that. Wasn’t trying to criticize how it is now in seeing advance chapters online. Happy for those who take advantage of it. I guess I just come from the old school where you didn’t see advance anything, except maybe what you saw in ads or what the author/publisher would tell you.

I like when I open to “Chapter 1” or “Prologue” it is completely fresh to me. But that is just my own personal preference.   :)

luminos

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 07:53:29 PM »
These chapters are great.  I'm already invested in Kalladan's (sp?) character.  Shallan is interesting too, I just haven't gotten into her part of the story yet.  I'm really much more interested in what makes that one woman a heretic than I am about Shallan's financial troubles.

KhyEllie

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 02:08:35 AM »
I agree, jjb, Shallan isn't clicking for me, I just don't feel any ties to her yet, but I love Kaladin. His character is totally enthralling and I can't wait to see what happens next:)

This might be totally ridiculous, but is anyone else under the impression that Kaladin might be Hoid?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 02:33:20 AM by KhyEllie »

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 04:28:28 AM »

From her very first chapter I was totally in love with Shallan.  She is pretty much amazing.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 11:00:22 AM »
I don't see why so many of you aren't interested in Shallan. Maybe I'm just interested in scientists, and Shallan struck me that way. Then again, I get more excited about what might happen rather than what's actually happening, so maybe I'm atypical :P

I think the reason we get the "reveal" about her wanting to steal the soulcaster is just one of those "make sure you haven't missed it" things. If I wrote something like that, I'd be expecting experienced readers to get it before I had to tell them outright. When we heard that Shallan's family was in financial difficulty, that was enough for me to rule her original plan down to dangerous profit or theft anyway.

Simple, really. Anyone could. Arrows shot at you while you're carrying the bridge? No big deal!

I'm so waiting for someone to start using magic on the bridge crews now, just to make things interesting. :P

Terrisman243

• Level 5
  • Join the Omegas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 04:28:09 PM »
I don't think Kaladin is Hoid. However, the oldish man with the leathery face that tells him to count his breath- I think he is Hoid.