Author Topic: J.V.Jones  (Read 3676 times)

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
J.V.Jones
« on: February 28, 2010, 03:34:42 PM »
Hey, I was wondering if J.V.Jones was worth reading.  I've been considering her books for quite some time now.  I was going to read the Book of Words series first since it was completed but I think I might end up reading Sword of Shadows first.  If anyone could tell me which series is more fast-paced and action-filled and which one they perfer it would be greatly appreciated.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
Re: J.V.Jones
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 05:11:10 PM »
Start the Sword of Shadows series with A Cavern of Black Ice.  Her Book of Words (kinda a lame series title) series is meh.  Her Sword of Shadows series is extremely well done.  She (Jones) is one of the best authors out there--especially with her current series.  Nick and I got the 4th book in the mail last week.  I've yet to pry it from his hands, but he told me the 4th one was very good.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 06:56:09 PM »
I hope that it's good, after the Martin-esque tome of meandering the last one was.  The first two books in this series were awesome, and if the fourth can return to that level of awesomeness, then I think this'll probably rank as one of my more favorite series.  Read it!  :)  Haven't read the Book of Words series.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 03:30:55 AM »
Thanks for the help you guys.  One of things I was worried about was though how long of a wait it is for each of her books.  I think I remember it being said to be a 5 book series and how long of a wait is there between each book in the Sword of Shadows?

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 04:41:39 PM »
I think it's been 2 years per book.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 07:51:54 PM »
I just bought Caverns of Black Ice on Saturday along with The Blade Itself.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

WriterDan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 09:30:41 PM »
One of things I was worried about was though how long of a wait it is for each of her books.

So far, this has been her time line:

Book 1:  1999
Book 2:  2002
Book 3:  2007
Book 4:  2010

Seeing as how there's only supposed to be one book left in the series, and that she said Book 3 was a quirk, I'd expect Book 5 to come out in 2013, maybe 2012, but no sooner.  Granted, when she pitched the series to Tor initially, it was for three books.  So, I guess there might still be the possibility that the series could get extended again.  You never know.  :)  Just read and enjoy.

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 05:55:28 PM »
Thank you Writer Dan that really helped.  I don't know why but I like to see timelines of when books come out so I can see how long of a wait there is.  I think I can wait two years between a book.  Besides that's probably what the wait for Brandon Sanderson's second book in The Stormlight Archives will be.

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 01:32:43 AM »
Also I was wondering which one in the series did you think was the best?

WriterDan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 08:55:30 AM »
I liked the second one the best, but only marginally.  The end of the first was possibly a bit anti-climactic for me, and I think that's what makes the difference.  I really enjoyed both of the first two.  The third was just tough for me.  Not because of writing, or characterization (both of which are really good) but because it seemed like absolutely NOTHING happened that moved the plot forward.  The long, lonely hump in the middle.  Hoping for some good speed-up on the downward side of the series though.  Onward to Watcher of the Dead!

Looking forward to EBR's thoughts on it.

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 12:20:52 AM »
Yeah I've noticed that with some authors in the middle of a series it can a little stretxched out.  Thanks for the ahead of time warning. 

mtbikemom

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 05:33:10 AM »
I really loved book 1, disliked book 2 and hated book 3.  Not sure I can stomach book 4.