Author Topic: Which book should I read first?  (Read 9008 times)

kari-no-sugata

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Which book should I read first?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 05:04:53 PM »
However, I do plan to start up Brandon’s books afterwards. Now, which book/series do you recommend I start first? I was thinking of going with Mistborn as that series is completed (well, at least I think it is), but would it be better to go with Elantris or Warbreaker first?

I guess I just want to avoid the “Oh, that’s a good series, but I would have started with ________, first.”

What do you suggest?

Well, you can do what I did and download Warbreaker for free from the author's website:
http://www.brandonsanderson.com/portal/Warbreaker

I then ordered the hardback later. You can get a signed version too:
http://www.brandonsanderson.com/store/item/45/Signed-Warbreaker-andmdash-Hardcover

Apart from that there's no obvious order to read them in (except of course the Mistborn series should be read in series order).

Hobbun

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 05:24:43 PM »
Oh, already have the paperback all ready to read.  And not just Warbreaker, but also the Mistborn series and Elantris. The only one I don't have is Alcatraz.

I probably will get the hardcovers as well, if I really like the books (which I am guessing I will). I do know about the pre-signed books on Brandon's site, but I am one who always prefers to get signatures personally, unless it is just not possible anymore.

Also, the Warbreaker signed books have the remainder marks on them. To some, it is not an issue, but I am picky with my books.   :)

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 06:27:52 PM »
As for my comment of reading Mistborn because it is ‘complete’, I said that because of a rule I have instigated now (for myself) that I try to wait until the series is over, or at least to the point by the time I finish the second to last book in the series, the last one is just coming out. I basically want to read all of them together. I started that rule because of WoT. I had to reread the series over twice as it was just too long between books and I would forget a lot of the little things (and some bigger ones) from prior books.

Thanks again to all for your suggestions.  :)

The only series he has that will be anywhere near that will be Way of Kings that is due out in August. Until then you are good with all his series being complete ones.

You're welcome. :D
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

kari-no-sugata

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 07:41:41 PM »
Oh, already have the paperback all ready to read.  And not just Warbreaker, but also the Mistborn series and Elantris. The only one I don't have is Alcatraz.

Oooh, how about this then: read the first chapter each for Elantris, Mistborn #1 and Warbreaker. Then continue with the one you liked the best...

I'd be curious to see which one you pick.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2010, 04:38:28 AM »
Mistborn is the quickest draw-in....
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2010, 07:30:39 AM »
I started with Mistborn and I think it was a good place to start.  I'm a big fan of Brandon's fight scenes and magic systems, and Mistborn has the blend that really got me hooked and led me into his less action/magic heavy Elantris (not saying that there is not plenty of magic in Elantris, simply that most of the magic is passive for the majority of the book and the type of magic use I prefer to read doesn't kick in until near the end) where I could be more focused on the character and plot.  Then I read Warbreaker, which is great and a bit more involved on the magic side than Elantris.  If I could go back I would say Mistborn, then Warbreaker, then Elantris.  Though you've got to read Alcatraz in between things, cuz it's just so much dang fun!
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Hobbun

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2010, 02:25:58 PM »

Oooh, how about this then: read the first chapter each for Elantris, Mistborn #1 and Warbreaker. Then continue with the one you liked the best...

I'd be curious to see which one you pick.

To be honest, I would prefer to start with the one I like the “worst”, so each subsequent book just gets better and better. Very much like Phaz’s suggestion. And I am still seriously thinking about going with his suggestion and starting with Elantris first, then go to Warbreaker.

Obviously going by this reasoning, I am not going to read the Mistborn series out of order, even if the earlier books in the series are viewed as “better” (which I hope isn’t the case).

The only other question is going by my “worst” to best suggestions, where should Alcatraz be at?  I am pretty sure I am still going to start with Elantris and Warbreaker, but wonder if I should go to the Alcatraz books before reading Mistborn.

And the reason I was putting worst in quotes is I am not saying any of them are bad, but when you go from a book that is great to one that is awesome, that great book is the “worst” one.

Valkynphyre

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2010, 03:10:28 PM »
Alcatraz is fantastic, but short. Kid's books, you know? How bout an Alcatraz book after Elantris, One after Warbreaker, and one once you finish the Mistborn trilogy.
Bow before The Worldbringer, Squirrel King![/color]

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2010, 03:13:49 PM »
Obviously going by this reasoning, I am not going to read the Mistborn series out of order, even if the earlier books in the series are viewed as “better” (which I hope isn’t the case).

While I personally like Mistborn 1 the best of all of Brandon's novels, that really has a great deal of nostalgia attached to it. The endings of books two and three are superior to it. You'll become even more satisfied after each book.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Hobbun

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2010, 03:30:32 PM »
Alcatraz is fantastic, but short. Kid's books, you know? How bout an Alcatraz book after Elantris, One after Warbreaker, and one once you finish the Mistborn trilogy.

Yes, I do know they are shorter and are kid’s books.   :)  But also heard they are very good (like you said), so would like to give them a shot.

And yes, I suppose I could do that, throw one in between each book or series of books (Mistborn). 

Looking at the font now of these books, it’s pretty big (which is understandable considering the intended audience). And with the combined (shortened) length of the books overall, I am guessing I could whip through one of these a day. So I guess it doesn’t really matter when I read them compared to the other books.

While I personally like Mistborn 1 the best of all of Brandon's novels, that really has a great deal of nostalgia attached to it. The endings of books two and three are superior to it. You'll become even more satisfied after each book.

Awesome. That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks.   :)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2010, 05:35:49 PM »
I've whipped through an Alcatraz book in an evening, easily. Though that's only partially the font and mostly the excellence of the writing itself.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2010, 02:22:27 AM »
Well I knew you weren't going to pick Well of Acsension, Chaos.  After all, you practically didn't read Zane's third of the book ;)  And if I remember correctly, it didn't have a god-villian for you.

For me, thought for different reasons, the first and the third were my favorites, I can't decide which.  Like Chaos said, the first has the nostalgia of the crew attached to it, and Kelsier of course.  The third is just so intense though, so it's a real toss up to me.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2010, 03:30:52 AM »
Well I knew you weren't going to pick Well of Acsension, Chaos.  After all, you practically didn't read Zane's third of the book ;)  And if I remember correctly, it didn't have a god-villian for you.

Okay, this is a valid point. I like my god villains (I say that realizing that my current book I'm writing opens with me killing a god) but still. I hate Zane. The ending, however, as I've always said, that ending made the whole book worthwhile and then some.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2010, 01:59:54 PM »
One other thing. The audio books for WoT of time are excellent. There is a male and female narrator. If you do them on audio and listen to them in your car or while you are doing other things, its not much of a slog. These are best sellers so most libraries should have them. So you should not buy them. 

I have read the books and listened to t hem on audio. I listen to about 30+ audiobooks a year. The WoT audio is great. To be fair some of the pronunciations are wrong in The Eye of the World, but they get corrected after that. For example, Taveren is pronounced like Tavern.

Hobbun

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2010, 02:19:01 PM »
One other thing. The audio books for WoT of time are excellent. There is a male and female narrator. If you do them on audio and listen to them in your car or while you are doing other things, its not much of a slog. These are best sellers so most libraries should have them. So you should not buy them. 

I have read the books and listened to t hem on audio. I listen to about 30+ audiobooks a year. The WoT audio is great. To be fair some of the pronunciations are wrong in The Eye of the World, but they get corrected after that. For example, Taveren is pronounced like Tavern.

A friend of mine, when he used to be a truck driver, would listen to audio books on his trips. But I have all the books of WoT and prefer to read, anyways. But thanks for the suggestion.   :)

Besides, the books I was asking about was the one’s Brandon wrote on his own (Elantris, Warbreaker, Mistborn series, etc).  But, should have made that more clear in my post title, sorry.