Author Topic: Pain of Glass and Nightbringer  (Read 7608 times)

libraloco

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Pain of Glass and Nightbringer
« on: June 19, 2010, 03:56:08 PM »
Hello! I have two quick questions that I was hoping someone could answer. Yes or no will do fine, but details would be nice.

1) On Dan's Twitter, he said, "Guess what, manuscript I've been revising for months: PWND. The latest draft of my new book, PAIN OF GLASS, is done and sent to my editors." Since he's sent the manuscript to his editors, does that mean it's been bought by a publisher?

and

2) I read on the comments section of the blog post "A Whole Nother Book: Literally" (http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net/?p=338), Dan said, "Nightbringer will still happen, I’m just stopping to write [Extreme Makeover: Apocalypse Edition] first." Does that mean he plans on writing Nightbringer next or just at some point in the future?

Thanks for taking the time to look at this. Dan's books are amazing and I'll be excited for whatever he decides to publish!

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
Re: Pain of Glass and Nightbringer
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 04:20:51 AM »
One can only hope that the title is improved before it gets to bookstores.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 04:08:47 PM »
Which title?

His editor LOVES EM:AE and wants to try to get the rights. And having read the first part of the book, it's a perfect title for it. But there is at least one backup title.

Anyway I think Nightbringer won't be written anytime soon. Instead he has a horror series in mind that his publishers will want.

Most of Dan's books have working titles that are subject to change.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

libraloco

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 07:03:53 PM »
I think Extreme Makeover: Apocalypse Edition sounds amazing. Will Pain of Glass get a title change, or is that the final title? Will it be published by Tor as well?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 12:33:56 AM »
None are under contract but editors are interested. Personally I think Pain of Glass is a good title but didn't really fit the book Dan wrote. He just finished a massive rewrite, so maybe it fits better now.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 03:20:19 AM »
Pain of Glass is a bad pun.  It might fit a Xanth book but it would make a horror story all the more offensive.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

libraloco

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 04:40:37 AM »
Pain of Glass is a bad pun. It might fit a Xanth book but it would make a horror story all the more offensive.

I agree. That's kind of why I asked if it was final or not. I was really hoping it'd end up being something as cool as IANASK or EM:AE, something that'd make me stop in a bookstore and go, "That sounds cool!" Still, it may end up having some huge significance to the story that we just don't understand because we haven't read it.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 05:48:34 AM »
Neither Karen nor I think that title relates to the story. :)

libraloco

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 03:54:58 PM »

Well, I guess one of the editors could change it. Wasn't I Don't Want to Kill You originally titled Full of Holes before Moshe asked him to pick a new one?

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 04:39:22 PM »

I bet the PAIN OF GLASS title gets changed.  I don't think it fits quite well enough, though after reading it I could see where it could have been derived from.  Like most of his titles, I figured it was tentative.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

libraloco

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 09:49:58 PM »
None are under contract but editors are interested.

So Pain of Glass hasn't been picked up by a publisher yet?

Instead he has a horror series in mind that his publishers will want.

Is that the "big book proposal" Dan mentioned today (http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net/?p=638)?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 10:30:53 PM by libraloco »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 10:31:25 PM »
A lot of pro writers don't write a book until it's under contract. That's not how Brandon works, and it may have rubbed off on Dan. ;) I know some writers (Lois Bujold has mentioned this) feel they write better when there's no contract and the pressure's off.

Dan waited to pitch it to his editors until after he'd written the first draft.

About the big book proposal: I wouldn't speculate.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 10:33:36 PM by Peter Ahlstrom »

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 04:27:35 PM »
This is what I get when I don't check the forums.

Pain of Glass: The book is not under contract, but has been heavily revised and sent to my editors and agent to see if they want to buy it. So far only the German editor has gotten back to me, and he loved it (and said it was one of the craziest books he's ever read). The title (as are all my titles) is just a working title unlikely to survive. Though if people think it makes the book offensive, I'm more likely to fight for it :)

Nightbringer: Wow. I love this story, I just really don't think the time is right for it. I've got 1...2...3 more ideas that I'm far more excited about than this. This is why I write books before going under contract: because what excites me changes so rapidly, I'd hate to be stuck with one thing when I really wish I was writing something else.

Extreme Makeover: Apocalypse Edition: This book is really fun, and would be awesome with that title. I guess we'll see, but I can't imagine a situation in which it would be possible.

New Submitted Proposal: I will say only that it is neither a book nor a publisher you expect. It's a wacky idea, but could be a lot of fun if it works out.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 06:57:08 PM »
And all that merely serves to excite me more... *sigh*
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

Ipood

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 02:30:41 PM »
Isn't Pain of Glass the new title? I think there was some other title, something Summet, or am I wrong?