Author Topic: dragonsteel  (Read 6458 times)

guessingo

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
dragonsteel
« on: June 13, 2010, 06:59:28 PM »
ok I am sure this has been posted before, I can't find it. I saw some things from brandon about how his friends liked it. I listened to an interview from him on The Dragon Page from back in 2007 and he said he was working on that next. I take it that went on the back burner when he got WoT.

Why did he decide to work on Way of Kings instead of Dragonsteel? Or was he originally going to do both and just intermix the releases?

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
Re: dragonsteel
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 10:53:59 PM »
I have no inside knowledge of the matter. However, I did read his blog posts when he was talking about the WoK revisions. In those posts, he said he felt writing the WoT had stretched him as a writer to the point where he could handle a series as epic in scope as he wanted the Stormlight Archive to be. So, from where I'm sitting, I say blame Canada the WoT.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 11:32:04 PM »
If it were not for the Wheel of Time, he would have written the sequel to Warbreaker next, then started the Dragonsteel series. But the way he structured the Dragonsteel series was as a sort of backdoor epic--two books, then you skip hundreds or thousands of years and start a 5-book series that might even have a different series name. (Plus his first draft of the first book, Liar of Partinel, turned out bad; he tried using a more discovery-writing process and it just didn't work for him.) Instead, he felt that the series he should launch coming off the Wheel of Time would be an epic that was immediately identifiable as such and would most appeal to WoT fans. And it just happened that he'd been wanting to write the series starting with Way of Kings for years, and this made the time right.

Plus what ryos said.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 01:11:37 AM »
I'm much more comfortable blaming Canada.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 01:33:44 AM »
Is Brandon going to write all 10 Stormlight books straight through or does he plan to rotate series and do different things?
Does he have plans for the release cycle of these books? Is it every year, every 2 years?

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 01:42:47 AM »
I'd say wait another 8-12 months (when the WoT storm has settled) then ask again.  He's going to be swamped with marketing obligations as soon as book two comes out.  Again when the last volume is released (assuming this isn't it), and again when they decide to to do a revision that binds the books as a boxed set.  Then bug Peter, he'll know.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 01:57:31 AM »
I believe the current plan is two SLA books, then another book (Elantris 2, second MB trilogy, etc), then two more SLA books, then another.  As for the frequency of their release, I've heard three books every two years, but I could be remembering that wrong.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Red, White, and Joker

• Level 4
  • Jingle bells, Batman Smells...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 03:50:16 AM »
That's what he's said, fRR, but he's also said he'll have to see when he gets there.
¿snoıɹǝs os ʎɥʍ 'ʎllɐǝɹ 'ou no, really, why so serious?

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 03:52:33 AM »
Blaming Canada eh?
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 07:58:21 PM »
You know that everything's gone wrong every since Canada came along.

Valkynphyre

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 08:12:20 PM »
What was that you said about my mother?
Bow before The Worldbringer, Squirrel King![/color]

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 10:16:28 PM »
I think I'm missing the joke, but what does Canada have to do with WOT?

Also, the three books every two years, 2 SLA, one other, is the information I'm working from.

Honestly, I don't have enough information about Dragonsteel to say whether or not I'd prefer that or SLA next, but SLA looks totally cool.  Also, this will be my first BS book where I'll be with you guys from day 1!  Excited!
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 10:55:48 PM »
Well, DS and WoK are similar enough that Brandon has said to hold off on reading it until you've read WoK.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 11:17:38 PM »

DS is an amazingly wonderful book.  And what I've read of Liar was different but really good as well.  I would really like to see it done, but I think doing WoK first will cause that series to become better in the end, and from what I can tell it is going to be the series that finishes tying everything together.

The one I really want to come out is the Scribbler series. D:  I loves it so much.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 12:11:59 AM »
@Fireborn: It is a joke. There was a song that was nominated for an academy award in the South Park movie back in 1999 called Blame Canada.