Author Topic: Mistborn Movie-Casting?  (Read 34187 times)

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn Movie-Casting?
« Reply #150 on: July 20, 2010, 10:26:32 PM »
You want ruthless, watch Hard Candy.

What do you guys think of starting a poll about how terrismen were pictured?   I always pictured them as the same race as everyone else, perhaps paler, but many people seem to have pictured darker skinned, or even black.
Do you guys in the second camp also picture the Lord Ruler this way?  And Peter, is it all right to ask how brandon pictured the races in Mistborn?
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 20, 2010, 10:32:16 PM »
Someone could ask him at a Q&A.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 10:33:50 PM by Peter Ahlstrom »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 0
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #152 on: July 20, 2010, 10:34:47 PM »
You want ruthless, watch Hard Candy.

What do you guys think of starting a poll about how terrismen were pictured?   I always pictured them as the same race as everyone else, perhaps paler, but many people seem to have pictured darker skinned, or even black.
Do you guys in the second camp also picture the Lord Ruler this way?  And Peter, is it all right to ask how brandon pictured the races in Mistborn?

Yeah, i pictured them slightly paler. This is because they hail from a mountainous region to the north. being in colder, less sun-bathed regions does not generally produce darker skinned people.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Obsessiforge

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 21, 2010, 07:46:41 PM »
I always pictured them as darker, Indian or African in comparison...why is that?

rasen

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 22, 2010, 02:27:37 PM »
You want ruthless, watch Hard Candy..

Hard Candy...that's right, I forgot that Ellen Page was the main girl in that movie.  I saw that before I was really familiar with her as an actress.  Well I got to say, Comatose, that changes my opinion entirely.  Thanks!

On the Terrismen subject, I agree with Eerongal completely and for the same reasons.  A darker skinned person in a northern climate will have a harder time absorbing Vitamin D.  Less Vitamin D means less calcium, which can lead to bone disease such as rickets.  With this determinate it is unlikely that a dark skinned person would be selected for the type of northern region described in the book.  Plus the Lord Ruler is described as being "Handsome, with jet black hair and pale skin, the Lord Ruler was tall, thin, and confident."

Willow: See this acorn? I'll throw it at you and turn you to stone!
Madmartigan: Ooh, I'm really scared. No! Don't! There's a- a peck here with an acorn pointed at me!

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #155 on: July 22, 2010, 03:05:05 PM »
Plus the Lord Ruler is described as being "Handsome, with jet black hair and pale skin, the Lord Ruler was tall, thin, and confident."

heh, i didn't even remember that.

Obviously, i agree that i think they'd be pale, for reasons previously mentioned.

However, i wouldn't look too much into the description of TLR, simply because he's really very much so a different animal from any other human. who knows what sort of weird things could have changed his physical body over the centuries.

That being said, though, as far as i'm aware, that's our only reference to any terrisman's skin color.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

MajorTom

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 22, 2010, 10:50:39 PM »
Matt Borner and Willie Garson. I don't know how they look seperate from the show, so heres a look at them:

http://poptimal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/whitecollargal_04.jpg

Hey, the guy on the left was on Chuck!  Could fit Kelsier, could do.

VinVenture

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 25, 2010, 07:34:19 PM »
Definitely Ellen Page for Vin.  She really is a strong actress, and looks the part. Definitely NOT summer glau as vin. She is too old, even for the older Vin and even looks her age, and is not a strong enough actress IMO.

For Kelsier I'd say either Robert Downey Jr, or Simon Baker (the mentalist). Perhaps if we had Downey Jr's talent in Simon Baker's body, that'd be perfect  ;)

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #158 on: July 26, 2010, 05:59:52 PM »
Terrispeople haven't always lived in the region they live in now, correct? TLR built his citadel where there were mountains, but turned them into plains. Apparently, Luthadel was difficult enough to reach pre-TLR that several people in the expedition died before arrival. Of course, some of them were killed, but to get back on topic... I think TLR forced them all to move up north when he took power. That's what I'm going to do to my family.

People can tell the difference between the nobles, Skaa, and Terrismen by sight. Not all Skaa can pass as nobles, but some can (just those with noble blood?). I don't remember seeing anybody mistake a Terrisman for anything else. Then again, they all dress funny and stuff. Just cast people that look similar enough for each race and it doesn't matter what was intended?

I have to stick to the Tennant-Jackman Kelsier-Marsh combo I suggested a while back.

OR!:
Kelsier will be played by Rand al'Thor (he already has stuff on his arms!).
VinGT will be played by Megatron (boyish figure and good looks!).
TLR will be played by the Ringworld.
Spook will be played by Dolly the Sheep.
Sazed will be played by a ball of yarn.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #159 on: July 26, 2010, 06:22:27 PM »
Kelsier will be played by Rand al'Thor (he already has stuff on his arms!).
VinGT will be played by Megatron (boyish figure and good looks!).
TLR will be played by the Ringworld.
Spook will be played by Dolly the Sheep.
Sazed will be played by a ball of yarn.

I support these casting decisions. Make it so, hollywood. Do not disappoint me.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 26, 2010, 07:09:54 PM »
Yeah, I was having trouble deciding between Ringworld and Ringworm, but I think I made the right decision.
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 26, 2010, 07:28:35 PM »
The terris stewards stand out partly because of their height and abnormally long limbs which comes from being a eunuch.  Other than that, I think it is mostly their brightly coloured dress and body decoration (primarily the stretched ear lobes) that sets them apart.  The Lord Ruler is Terris and imitates a noble, but I suppose he might have changed his physique with the power.  Camon also impersonates a nobleman and as far as we know, he has no noble blood.  In a discussion I believe Ham mentions that the only difference between Skaa and Nobles is that Skaa have more children and are usually shorter, which could be due to malnutrition.

"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 26, 2010, 11:43:24 PM »
Twitter tells me that Obsessiforge has the official word. I'll let him tell, since he did the work.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 11:46:43 PM by sortitus »

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 01:12:42 AM by Brenna »
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

Valkynphyre

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 12, 2010, 07:37:57 PM »
Hayley Mcfarland, huh? I think you may have something there.
Bow before The Worldbringer, Squirrel King![/color]