Author Topic: Mistborn Movie-Casting?  (Read 33268 times)

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn Movie-Casting?
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2010, 03:49:34 AM »
I agree.  Nathan Fillion could never be Kelsier in my mind.  Much too beefy, and he just doesn't have the right look in my mind, that of course is just the my personal preference though.
This is just a passing thought, one that won't come true, but I like Brad Pitt for Kelsier.  After all, Mistborn was partially inspired by Ocean's 11.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2010, 10:23:41 PM »
Nathan Fillion doesn't work for me, like others have said, because he just doesn't look the part.  I'd imagined Kelsier as being slimmer.  Can you see him doing flips and things like he would need to?  I can't.  And I have the same problem with Brad Pitt.

Since when is Summer Glau curvaceous?  I'd always seen her as really thin.  And I think she might be too tall.  Vin is short in my mind.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2010, 10:44:26 PM »
Since when is Summer Glau curvaceous?  I'd always seen her as really thin.  And I think she might be too tall.  Vin is short in my mind.
Link for decency's sake (not nakey, but 'sexy' photo). Notice the hourglass figure?

IIRC, vin was supposed to be able to pass as a boy. This is not the usual case with someone who has such a figure.

Granted, glau is not as "stacked", per say, which does help in this regard, though. They could easily just warp her chest down to fit the part, i would assume.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2010, 04:37:52 AM »
Now, I realize we all understand this, but WOW.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2010, 05:15:25 AM »
Um. In that shot she looks silly, airbrushed, and not hourglass (the curve on the right is from the angle—check out the left side). Aside from the silly posing, if she had short hair I could buy her as Vin.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2010, 02:58:26 PM »
Um. In that shot she looks silly, airbrushed, and not hourglass (the curve on the right is from the angle—check out the left side). Aside from the silly posing, if she had short hair I could buy her as Vin.

Ok, then how about this one. You can't tell me THIS one isn't showing her hourglass figure. It's straight on (maybe a little angled, but not enough to be able to deny it), no silly pose, and she's wearing tight-ish clothes so you can clearly see it.

Like i said, I think she has too much of a womanly appearance to be able to pull off vin.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2010, 03:28:59 PM »
i love Firefly as much as the next scifi fanboy, but really, Nathan Fillion and Summer Glau are not right for every part! LOL

However: Sean Maher (aka Dr. Simon Tam) is Kelsier in my opinion (not the Lord ruler): http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0536883/

Miranda Cosgrove could be a good Vin once her hair was chopped. (yes, she is iCarly and was the little sister on Drake and Josh) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1388927/

Lord Ruler, imho, could be none other than James Callis: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0130536/

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2010, 06:10:17 PM »
Ok, then how about this one. You can't tell me THIS one isn't showing her hourglass figure. It's straight on (maybe a little angled, but not enough to be able to deny it), no silly pose, and she's wearing tight-ish clothes so you can clearly see it.

Like i said, I think she has too much of a womanly appearance to be able to pull off vin.
All right, but clothes do make a difference. And if we went back in time to age 16 I bet...anyway, she's rather old for Vin now. :)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2010, 06:16:01 PM »

All right, but clothes do make a difference. And if we went back in time to age 16 I bet...anyway, she's rather old for Vin now. :)

That they do. Like i mentioned in my first post about it, it's possible that the magic of hollywood could take care of my issues with her and fillion through clever use of makeup and clothing, but i wouldn't know about that. I'm not in "the biz" :P

However, knowing hollywood, they wouldn't WANT to take care of these issues. These are seen as almost universally desirable at all times there :P
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard

Nightfire107

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2010, 08:16:05 PM »
i love Firefly as much as the next scifi fanboy, but really, Nathan Fillion and Summer Glau are not right for every part! LOL

However: Sean Maher (aka Dr. Simon Tam) is Kelsier in my opinion (not the Lord ruler): http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0536883/

Miranda Cosgrove could be a good Vin once her hair was chopped. (yes, she is iCarly and was the little sister on Drake and Josh) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1388927/

Lord Ruler, imho, could be none other than James Callis: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0130536/

I dissagree with your Vin and the good docter could be kelsier (there are better choices.) However, you hit the nail on the head with TLR. I should have thought of that. Baltar is so fun to hate that he has to be the antagonist.
"We're Bridge Four, we've been around. We've liven in the crem and been used as bait. If it helps you survive, it's good. That's all that needs to be said about it."

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2010, 08:25:48 PM »
for TLR, i honestly would think that someone large, and imposing would make a good choice. Which is why i think vin diesel would be a great TLR. He's big, imposing, can easily look the part of evil, and a relatively good actor.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2010, 09:22:13 PM »
I always thought of the Lord Ruler as leaner as well, albeit well muscled.  and remember, he's supposed to look surprisingly young.  I had this problem in the books, I kept picturing a man in his thirties, but if you have access to eternal youth, why be thirty when you can be twenty one?
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Nightfire107

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2010, 12:31:25 AM »
for TLR, i honestly would think that someone large, and imposing would make a good choice. Which is why i think vin diesel would be a great TLR. He's big, imposing, can easily look the part of evil, and a relatively good actor.
I always thought of the Lord Ruler as leaner as well, albeit well muscled. and remember, he's supposed to look surprisingly young. I had this problem in the books, I kept picturing a man in his thirties, but if you have access to eternal youth, why be thirty when you can be twenty one?

If i remember he was young. He was also well cut and during the execution at the square scene i seem to recall him being a slim guy. He has so much power that physical prowess is not necessary. Also he is not to look evil so much as strained and tyranical.

looking a bit older than early twenties coud help re-inforce a godly image. He looks in his prime but not young. 
"We're Bridge Four, we've been around. We've liven in the crem and been used as bait. If it helps you survive, it's good. That's all that needs to be said about it."

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2010, 02:20:10 AM »

I'm not sure about the others, but I really your pick for the Lord Ruler.

I always thought of the Lord Ruler as leaner as well, albeit well muscled. and remember, he's supposed to look surprisingly young. I had this problem in the books, I kept picturing a man in his thirties, but if you have access to eternal youth, why be thirty when you can be twenty one?

If i remember he was young. He was also well cut and during the execution at the square scene i seem to recall him being a slim guy. He has so much power that physical prowess is not necessary. Also he is not to look evil so much as strained and tyranical.

looking a bit older than early twenties coud help re-inforce a godly image. He looks in his prime but not young. 

Really, I'm cool with a lot of different things when it comes to the Lord Ruler, as long as he doesn't look like Ra from Stargate, who literally looked like a boy.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2010, 06:50:35 AM »
Miranda Cosgrove could be a good Vin once her hair was chopped.

no no no no. she cannot act and is no where near mature enough for the part.
i liked the idea of someone like Emily Browning playing Vin.
and isn't Kelsier supposed to be blonde? in my mind Viggo Mortensen fits the part very well.
And I like the idea of James Callis as the Lord Ruler. seems like a very good pick.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.