Author Topic: Other Writers Like Brandon?  (Read 3985 times)

Kierlionn

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Other Writers Like Brandon?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 09:21:36 PM »
@Calvin: Try the audiobooks for your second run through. The readers are very good. They get a few pronunciations wrong in the first book, but it is corrected after that. They are very good to listen to if you have read the books (so you have an idea of what is going on) while doing other things. Your library should have them all since they are best sellers.

I just started reading Lord Fouls Bane from Stephen R Donaldson. I do not know if his fantasy world is as complex as some authors today. However, he seems to be considered a classic and alot of modern authors site him for inspiration. I think Brandon has and I think Bookstore guy has said he likes.

Alot of people on the Books forum really like Stephen Erickson. The first book did not do anything for me. People keeping saying it is the 3rd book that grabs you.

Brandon has also raved about LE Modesit. Though I have not read him yet.
Tad Williams is one that Brandon read as a kid. I think he is more of a Tolkein clone, but I am not sure. Have not read them.

I really liked Weiss and Hickmans Deathgate Series from the 1990s. They are the founders of the Dragonlance universe.

Michael Moorcock from the 1960s Elric books. These tend to be shorter. The world is not as complex. However, it is very dark and basically nihilistic. These are pretty short books.

A woman I used to work with really likes Jennifer Roberson.
It's been a while since I have read Stephen R Donaldson but he is an amazing writer, I especially liked his Mordant's Need. It was really amazing, the series is like a war against reality though it can get very graphic compared to some books and I would definitely say it is for adults (Not one but my dad didn't remember that being in the books).

And yes Weis and Hickman are amazing world builders, I have 12 books of theirs from Dragonlance and  I love everyone of them.

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 02:06:00 AM »
It's hard to say that an author is like Brandon, his style imo really stands out. Having said that here are some authors I really like that I think are like like Brandon in some small ways:

Steven Brust - Almost every one of the Vlad Taltos books is a little like Final Empire. The main character runs a gang of criminals who have to work together to take out other criminals, steal something, kill someone, etc. Its one of the most high magic worlds I've read about. Sort of like Elantris in that the people in the city all have godlike magic, except they don't use it for the good of everyone like the Elantrians did.

Roger Zelazny is my all time favorite. I don't know if I'd say that his books are a lot like Brandon's but his world and magic is very unique. Their magic allows them to walk across dimensions, finding exactly what they desire. The stories are pretty epic.

Sabriel by Garth Nix is a great read and one of Brandon's favorites I think.

The Dresden Files is a must read.

Fred Saberhagen's Book of Swords is pretty interesting. Each sword possesses a certain magic and the story revolves around how they interact.

Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 02:25:11 AM »
Saberhagen is a good author, but I feel his characters are often somewhat bland.

Brandon tends to use his characters as a focus, with the magic and setting forming the backdrop. Saberhagen puts the magic center stage, and the characters feel secondary.

That's not to say the characters are entirely one-dimensional, but they're not well developed, either.

That's how I see it, anyways.

Zelazny is a good author, I agree, though I'd recommend skipping the last five Amber books.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.