Author Topic: One divine thread?  (Read 9017 times)

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: One divine thread?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 04:53:39 AM »
Someone asked Brandon if Hoid were a shard, and Brandon replied that while Hoid himself is not a shard, he is bonded to one.  Whether he is bonded the same way Leras and Ati were bonded to Ruin and Preservation remains to be seen.  Also, this shard may or may not be the source of his planet hopping skills.  But really, given what little we know, can you think of anything else that could give him this skill, as well as some sort of immortality?
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 08:04:59 AM »
" Brandon replied that while Hoid himself is not a shard, he is bonded to one" -- actually I recall public statements by Brandon that seem to deny this.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 08:56:12 AM »
And since when is hoid immortal?
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 09:24:34 AM »
" Brandon replied that while Hoid himself is not a shard, he is bonded to one" -- actually I recall public statements by Brandon that seem to deny this.

That notion that Hoid is bound to a Shard comes Tage, and Brandon said that Tage doesn't know as much he thinks he does.

Brandon said Hoid was there when Adonalsium was Shattered. Also, it's been said that it takes a very long time for a person with a Shard (say, Ruin) is molded really well with its Purpose. I'd venture at least centuries, more likely millennia. For all practical purposes, he's immortal.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 03:58:39 PM »

Fair enough.  You would know better than I would, certainly. 

Brandon said Hoid was there when Adonalsium was Shattered. Also, it's been said that it takes a very long time for a person with a Shard (say, Ruin) is molded really well with its Purpose. I'd venture at least centuries, more likely millennia. For all practical purposes, he's immortal.

And, well Brandon said in...an interview?...a QandA session?...(I'm not great about citing sources, apparently) that Mistborn happened first, with Warbreaker and Elantris some centuries after that.  So, immortality after a fashion seems the only viable explanation.  Or time travel.
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 07:46:44 PM »
Elantris happened before Mistborn.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 09:04:15 PM »
Yes, Brandon said "Elantris already has a sequel. It's called Mistborn."

It's the Liar of Partinel that happens centuries or millennia earlier.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

WrittenOnTheStars

• Level 2
  • Paradigms are for the weak-minded
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 09:58:07 PM »

Ok ... now I'm thoroughly confused again... will any of this ever be explained to those of us who just read the books and aren't in the inner circle? 'cause I can wait for that explanation... but all this is confusing me again!
"So this is how liberty dies, by thunderous applause." – Padmé Amidala, Star Wars Episode Three: Revenge of the Sith

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 10:48:48 PM »
There's clues around in the Shards of Adonalsium topic, the Hoid topic, and especially the Hero of Ages spoiler thread. There's not really too much insider knowledge to go around, and hopefully the people who ask Brandon questions at signings post the answers here ;)

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 10:59:42 PM »

Ok ... now I'm thoroughly confused again... will any of this ever be explained to those of us who just read the books and aren't in the inner circle? 'cause I can wait for that explanation... but all this is confusing me again!

Don't forget that you don't NEED this info for the books. I honestly doubt Brandon will ever come out and explain everything that is in the cosmere. Just me speculating though. I keep reading tid bits about how Way of Kings will really open up the doors to knowledge about the cosmere and shards and the such.

I consider the Cosmere info in book to be like video game and movie easter eggs. They're there, if you see them and KNOW what they are, then it's epic. If you don't know what they are then you are basically not seeing them at all and it doesn't effect you in the least.
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 11:17:04 PM »
That's a very good way of looking at it.

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2010, 11:35:07 PM »
That's a very good way of looking at it.

Thank you.  :D

Recruit of the Omegas.

WrittenOnTheStars

• Level 2
  • Paradigms are for the weak-minded
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2010, 11:53:01 PM »
Hmm...yes, very good way. Guess I shouldn't mope. It just all sounds really cool! And somedays I'm just too lazy to go surfing the internet, following multiple threads. Haha. Time to become devoted to the Sandersonian religion I guess ;)

And, probably a lot will be revealed in WoK...why else would the weapons in it have the words "Shard" and everything high and mighty and divine in the cosmere be focused around "Shards"? Just two more months-ish! :D
"So this is how liberty dies, by thunderous applause." – Padmé Amidala, Star Wars Episode Three: Revenge of the Sith

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2010, 12:28:52 AM »
There are definately some great threads in here that start from the beginning, back before anybody KNEW anything, all speculation.

The only one off the top of my head is the Shard thread.

> http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?topic=7006.0 <

Recruit of the Omegas.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2010, 06:53:36 AM »

Fair enough.  You would know better than I would, certainly. 

And, well Brandon said in...an interview?...a QandA session?...(I'm not great about citing sources, apparently) that Mistborn happened first, with Warbreaker and Elantris some centuries after that.  So, immortality after a fashion seems the only viable explanation.  Or time travel.
Time travel and immortality!  Hoid is a Time Lord!  Hahaha!!!
(google it)
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?