Author Topic: Brandon Sanderson Recommends?  (Read 1938 times)

atlas689

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Brandon Sanderson Recommends?
« on: June 04, 2010, 08:43:27 PM »
Is there a list of books somewhere of Mr. Sanderson's book recommendations? If so, could someone please link me to it? Thanks so much!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: Brandon Sanderson Recommends?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 09:48:56 PM »
I don't know about a singular list, but he's recommended The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss before.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

atlas689

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 10:46:30 PM »
Ive read it :-[

Ipood

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 11:20:42 PM »
Well, The Wheel of time for one... but, there isn't really a list, as far as I know, but if you browse a few old blog post, or the Writing Excuses episodes, you could find his recomendations.

Terrisman243

• Level 5
  • Join the Omegas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 12:41:18 AM »
Pretty sure he has a list on the... Barnes and Nobles Q&A? Let me look it up.....

Authors: "Right now, Pratchett is my favorite living author.  Jordan was my favorite for a long, long time.  I'd add the original three ladies--McCaffrey, Rawn, and Hambly--to that as well, as they were the ones to get me into this genre."

EDIT-
More specifically:

My question 3: Which is your favorite Pratchett novel and why?

The Truth is my favorite.  As a writer, and one who likes to explore the nature of the truth in his works, a novel that deals with someone trying to publish a newspaper in a fantasy world mixed philosophy and laughs in the way only Pratchett can.  However, Guards Guards the book where I suggest people new to Pratchett start.  (I suggest avoiding the Colour of Magic as your first experience, even though it's technically the first book in the series.  They are all stand alone novels, really, and Guards Guards can be seen as the beginning of the best sub-series within the series.)

Because it's semi-related...

Your favorite movies?

Gattica.  The Fifth Element, actually, is up there too.  The Prisoner of Azkaban movie.  Empire Strikes Back.  Sneakers.  Jacky Chan's Operation Condor. (I know, I know.) The Emperor's New Groove.  Star Trek: First Contact.   

To be honest, that's probably not a great list.  Those are the movies I watch over and over, but there are a lot of movies I love, but have only seen a few times.  I'm not generally a 'watch it over again' type of guy, so it's hard to pick favorites.  I come back to the genre films or things like Jacky Chan because they're quirky and rewatchable, but that doesn't actually mean they're my favorite--or that they've influenced me as much as other films.  For instance, Laurence of Arabia blew my mind, and The Sting influenced how I write quite a bit.  But I've only ever seen those films once.  But I do keep coming back to Gattica as one of the movies I think does what storytelling should do, when done perfectly right.   

Your favorite music?

Depends on the month.  Right now?  Daft Punk.  Before that?  Anything by Harry Gregson Williams. (Often, his music is better than the film it is in.)  Metallica has been a long-standing favorite of mine, though I've been listening to a lot of Desprez lately.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 01:48:15 AM by Terrisman243 »