Author Topic: Franklyn  (Read 2036 times)

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 0
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
Franklyn
« on: June 04, 2010, 04:22:38 AM »

So i totally just watched this movie. Anyone else see it? It's a british indie sci-fi drama film from like 2009 or so. I thought it was most excellent. It had excellent production value, rivaling that of a professional hollywood film (surpassing some in many ways, if you ask me.)

The basic story follows 4 seemingly unconnected characters as they work through their own crises.

*--Minor spoilers--*[/i]

The first is an art student who seems to be obsessed with filming herself committing suicide to strike a blow at her mother.

The second is a man who has recently suffered heartbreak, and is trying to recapture the feeling of his first love.

The third is a man looking for his son.

And finally, the fourth (pictured in the poster), and most interesting, is a man set in a different place than the others. All the others are set in london, where as this man is set in a dystopian steampunk-like society called meanwhile city, where he is a fugitive for not believing in any of the place's religions, which is used as a form of "mind-control" on the populace, and his quest to exact revenge.

*--Minor spoilers--*[/i]

As i said, i thought this was a wonderful movie, especially as things start to come together towards the end. You start seeing the pieces fall into place, and start realizing the connections.

Great flick, i highly recommend it! I watched it on netflix streaming, so if you have netflix, you have almost no excuse for not checking it out!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 01:04:26 PM by Eerongal »
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
Re: Franklyn
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 06:08:36 AM »
I'm'a be honest: that description didn't hook me. You say several times that it's great, but I don't see what is so great about it.

I have a $4 streaming credit from Amazon, and it looks like this is available (conveniently) for $4, but I need more convincing. Your review makes it sound dull.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
Re: Franklyn
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 01:03:31 PM »
I'm'a be honest: that description didn't hook me. You say several times that it's great, but I don't see what is so great about it.

I have a $4 streaming credit from Amazon, and it looks like this is available (conveniently) for $4, but I need more convincing. Your review makes it sound dull.

well, it's not a film for everyone, i'll go ahead and say that right now. It's one of those types of films that doesn't really explicitly state what's going on, and is kinda artsy at times.

Here's the trailer for it:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8a75d_franklyn-official-trailer-hd_shortfilms

also: i wouldnt really consider the post a "review" so much as me expressing how i enjoyed the film, and not really an official review to give the reader a sense of how the film was or if they'd like it :P

I mostly just wanted to see if anyone else has seen it and what they thought.

Edit: also, it should be noted that the trailer makes it look much more action oriented than it is. There are action scenes, but it's by no means a pure action movie.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 01:07:09 PM by Eerongal »
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.