Author Topic: "Death" of Ruin and Preservation  (Read 22162 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: "Death" of Ruin and Preservation
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2010, 08:35:33 PM »
Only the published ones count as canon. And Brandon has had 9 books published and will have 3 more by the end of the year, but only 6 of those will be Cosmere books.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Obsessiforge

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2010, 09:52:26 PM »
I guess I wasn't counting wheel of time 'n' Alcatraz. As you said, 5 so far in the Cosmere (which is an Awesome word, by the way), with a sixth on the way. Maybe I need to get my hands on Elantris and then...meditate for a day or so.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2010, 10:10:12 PM »
I'd like to add, though, that Hoid's little cameo in Warbreaker does actually tell us more about him than just the couple of sentences he gives about himself.  He seems extremely well-informed about the history of the world he is in.  I know he says he's just telling stories, and he might well be, but at some point he's clearly picked up the equivalent of a classical education in [Warbreaker World].  This means either that he has a way of getting information very quickly, or he has been living there for some time before the events of the story.  Possibly, given some of the time frames involved, a very long time.

By the same token, in all other worlds where he shows up, he's established---either he can hide his entrances and exits magically (changing memories?  something more subtle?), or he's there for a very long time.  And he does seem to have a lot of time.
Nature hates being reified.

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2010, 03:25:17 AM »
And thus, the mystery only manages to deepen.

I think it would only be fair to point out that we have taken a thread about two specific Shards and turned it into a tangential discussion on Hoid, the Cosmere, and Adonalsium.  Not that I'm complaining, haha, but purists might start throwing things.
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

Obsessiforge

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2010, 05:22:09 AM »
Dudemeister, look where you are. Have you seen a purist for miles?

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2010, 01:21:16 PM »
Dudemeister, look where you are. Have you seen a purist for miles?

Not exactly, but I fear them.
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

Terrornisse91

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2010, 03:23:15 AM »
Im pretty new to the forum here and i've only read the Mistborn triology, but is it connected to any other series he's written? Alcatraz, WOK, etc?
If they are connected does anyone know the "story timeline?"

Thanks

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2010, 05:52:26 AM »
It's linked to Elantris, Warbreaker, and Way of Kings (as well other unpublished novels). Alcatraz is not a part of the cosmere. As a guideline for the moment, if it's Brandon's adult fantasy, it's in the cosmere.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Terrisman243

• Level 5
  • Join the Omegas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2010, 06:04:11 AM »
We know three other things about Hoid
1. He is a leader. A year after being an informant to Kelsier, he goes to Terris (probably looking for the Well of Ascention), but when the Inquisitors come and take out the Keepers, he takes the Terrisman and hightales it to Luthadel.

He also was the leader of the beggars in Elantris that Sarene talks to to smuggle a weapon shipment in. Or maybe he isn't the leader. Maybe he just transports them in.

2. He smokes. Kelsier catches him smoking before he goes to him to ask for information. This may simply be a ruse for Kelsier's sake, but maybe not.

3. He shakes (occasionally) Elend notices the leader of the Terris refugees because he is shaking like crazy. This may be from the cold, or maybe even from so much built up energy in the Spiritual Realm. Hoid is probably tied very closely to the other Realms, so he could probably tell that the Well was full.

Of course, this is all speculation. But then, isn't everything about Hoid speculation?

One quick thing- is Cosmere capitalized or not? I know that Chaos doesn't capitalize it, but I see that Peter does. Cosmere seems to be more important than cosmere.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 06:06:05 AM by Terrisman243 »

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2010, 07:34:45 AM »
He is a leader. A year after being an informant to Kelsier, he goes to Terris (probably looking for the Well of Ascention), but when the Inquisitors come and take out the Keepers, he takes the Terrisman and hightales it to Luthadel.

I totally don't remember reading this, does it specifically say that Hoid was the leader?  Its late, and I sort of forget at this point, but now I'm curious :P
Now why'd you have to go and push that button?!

- Famous Words of Doom.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2010, 08:20:15 AM »
I can't remember if it should be capped or not. Find out soon!
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2010, 10:15:53 AM »
It's not capitalized in Way of Kings, so that's why I keep it not capitalized (the same reason atium, metals, and verbs like "charge" I don't capitalize) but unless that specific typographical choice has changed recently...
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Terrornisse91

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2010, 12:29:07 PM »
It's linked to Elantris, Warbreaker, and Way of Kings (as well other unpublished novels). Alcatraz is not a part of the cosmere. As a guideline for the moment, if it's Brandon's adult fantasy, it's in the cosmere.

Thanks, but do we know yet what comes first? For instance is Elantris supposed to happen before the Mistborn series? Or does it not matter?

Valkynphyre

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2010, 02:25:52 PM »
I'll tell you some certainties in a 13 days, and add a spoiler tag. I'll probably yell some speculation at you, too.

Until then, I can't say what I know.
Bow before The Worldbringer, Squirrel King![/color]

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2010, 05:01:47 PM »
Opened this thread and immediately decided I needed to read WoK again! :D
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."