Author Topic: "Death" of Ruin and Preservation  (Read 22172 times)

Wolfstar

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: "Death" of Ruin and Preservation
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2010, 11:07:07 PM »
Something I'm hoping to see, eventually (and perhaps even sooner than later), is a timeline placing Elantris, Mistborn, Warbreaker, and The Stormlight Archive chronologically for us fans.  I imagine the Master will make us wait until he's revealed more about the events surrounding the Shattering and Hoid's plot, but it never hurts to dream.

That might be difficult if relativity holds in Sanderson's cosmology.

Even if it did, wouldn't the story have a chronology from the perspective of Hoid, the Shards, and any other forces involved?

Yes, but those chronologies might have the same things happening in different orders.  If Hoid is getting around FTL and relativity holds, then time travel gets thrown in the mix as well.  Time gets funky on Galactic scales, and Vin could have been in an entirely different galaxy than Lightsong for all we know.

Agreed, but there is so much we don't know that I don't think we can come to that conclusion yet.  For one, we don't know what Hoid's mechanism for traveling is.  I've read some decent theories about him jumping between the 3 Realms and pulling himself out at different locations.  I tend to feel that Relativity in the sense you are implying would break down under such circumstances.

And again, it would all depend on your reference frame.  I've gotten the feel so far that Hoid isn't jumping through time, or, at least, he's not jumping backwards at any point thus far.  If I were less lazy, Id' find annotations and other forum topics to cite and such.
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

Obsessiforge

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2010, 10:00:07 PM »
wait, I've forgotten, do we know for a fact that its always the same Hoid?

Maybe it was just a really popular baby name...30-60 years before every book Brandon writes...

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2010, 10:59:47 PM »
wait, I've forgotten, do we know for a fact that its always the same Hoid?

Maybe it was just a really popular baby name...30-60 years before every book Brandon writes...

I believe in a Dragonsteel discussion here on the board, we are led to believe that there are at least 2 Hoids.  Or some awesome time-breaking things going on.  I haven't actually read Dragonsteel, so I wouldn't know if that was just an odd assumption, or if that's what the situation is.
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

KhyEllie

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2010, 02:19:33 AM »
And Adonalsium shatters near the beginning of the larger story.

OOoo!! so, he already shattered.

Yep, hence Ruin and Preservation and Endowment and everyone else we've seen so far and don't have names for as of yet, haha.

Something I'm hoping to see, eventually (and perhaps even sooner than later), is a timeline placing Elantris, Mistborn, Warbreaker, and The Stormlight Archive chronologically for us fans.  I imagine the Master will make us wait until he's revealed more about the events surrounding the Shattering and Hoid's plot, but it never hurts to dream.

I thought we already had a timeline somewhere...I just didn't bother to memorize it, other than that Stormlight Archives is the beginning of anything and everything......I think ???

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2010, 04:02:26 AM »

OOoo!! so, he already shattered.

Yep, hence Ruin and Preservation and Endowment and everyone else we've seen so far and don't have names for as of yet, haha.

I thought we already had a timeline somewhere...I just didn't bother to memorize it, other than that Stormlight Archives is the beginning of anything and everything......I think ???

I'm pretty sure the whole, "The Stormlight Archive comes first" idea came about because of something Peter said about Ati and Leras being in it.  He later said that this was a mistake, but people didn't seem to notice.
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2010, 04:27:55 AM »
I thought I had heard from either a blog post or this forum somewhere that The Stormlight Archive is somewhere around the middle of the larger story Brandon has created.

And then...

I hate quoting myself, but it was necessary for context this time.  I think that dismisses the theory about this being the beginning of anything, short of a new series.

Obsessiforge

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2010, 04:34:39 AM »
Does anyone know if Brandon's wheel of time contributions play into this overarching canon? Or is it just Meestbwarn, Elantris, Warbreaker...The Stormlight Archive...

is Alcatraz part of this too?

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2010, 05:08:22 AM »
Wheel of Time is a separate universe entirely. It is not a part of the cosmere and never was intended to be.

Since Alcatraz is based on Earth, it is not part of that cosmology either.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2010, 05:53:23 AM »
I said Ati's name appears in it. But that wasn't very interesting because you already know Ati's name, since it's Ati.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2010, 06:15:45 AM »
That's not true, I'm sure the reference to Ati is quite fascinating :P
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Obsessiforge

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2010, 08:20:12 PM »
weeeeell my local bookstore is heathen and terrible for only having one copy of one Brandon book on its shelves...namely the same one I bought from them a week ago...

So while I'm on my quest to find a copy of Elantris to snap up, I picked up the 1st WoT book, just to work myself up to the last one(s). Which is, of course, the only important one(s). Amirite?!

but soon I will understand the whole cosmology! I promise!I'm making it my goal in life or something.

KhyEllie

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2010, 12:16:21 AM »
I swear someone once said that WoK was mixed with Liar...

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2010, 06:21:27 AM »
Dragonsteel is mixed with Liar.  Brandon is writing WoK INSTEAD of Liar, which he was originally planning on, but that's about the only connection.
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2010, 06:41:03 AM »

Nonono.  The Shattered Plains were taken from Dragonsteel and used in WoK.  Nothing that I've read in Liar seemed remotely similar to what is in WoK.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2010, 10:51:39 AM »
That's not true, I'm sure the reference to Ati is quite fascinating :P

Haha, don't count your chickens. It could just be a throwaway reference. :)