Author Topic: "Death" of Ruin and Preservation  (Read 22158 times)

Obsessiforge

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: "Death" of Ruin and Preservation
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2010, 07:54:02 AM »
Now so far I've been a mistborn guy only. It sounds like a lot of Brandon's books take place in the same world, or universe. So I oughta read them over again. Now Hoid has appeared in a lot of books, who was he in the Mistborn trilogy? I'm having trouble remembering.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2010, 01:11:23 PM »
In Final Empire, Hoid was the fake-blind beggar informant that Kelsier used once.

In Well of Ascension, he was the unnamed guy leading the group of Terris people that Elend meets.

In Hero of Ages, he's the informant that Vin gets spooked about and doesn't meet.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2010, 02:26:57 AM »
Can Hoid change his appearance.  More than just disguises I mean.  I know he grew a white beard for warbreaker, but that's different.  In my head, it's very hard for just anyone to pretend to be a Terrisman and vice versa.  They don't look the same in my head.  So do they actually look more similar than I thought?  Or can Hoid also shape shift?
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2010, 03:03:05 AM »
We know so little about him it's hard to tell, isn't it?  I would ask "What do we actually know?" but I believe there is at least one thread already devoted to that, just for Hoid, and another for Adonalsium/The Shards.
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

Terrisman243

• Level 5
  • Join the Omegas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2010, 10:01:32 PM »
Can Hoid change his appearance.  More than just disguises I mean.  I know he grew a white beard for warbreaker, but that's different.  In my head, it's very hard for just anyone to pretend to be a Terrisman and vice versa.  They don't look the same in my head.  So do they actually look more similar than I thought?  Or can Hoid also shape shift?

I don't think he can shape shift. I think that he was able to pose as a Terrisman because he had the right clothes. Remember that TLR was able to pass as a nobleman, and not as a Terrisman.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2010, 11:59:47 PM »
That's right.  I suppose the main physical difference is the height and strange proportions , which can only be applied to the Terrismen Eunuchs.  The Lord Ruler however is a Terrisman and not a eunuch, so he might appear normal.
i guess the question is, is Hoid a Steward?
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2010, 01:54:44 PM »
I am dissappointed that Brandon won't tell us why preservation and ruin dropped a corpse when they died. He said he could not in his chapter by chapter notes on his website. I take that to mean he will give it away (in years to come) in his next mistborn series.

I hope it is not one of those "we find out in the last chapter of the last book" thing. I have a hunch why they drop bodies, but I can't get into Brandon's head since he can pick anything he wants.

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2010, 05:56:19 PM »
Presumably, those are the bodies of Ati and Leras from before they bonded with the shards.  Just like Vin, who apparently had no body when bonded with Preservation, had her body restored and dropped onto the battlefield.
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2010, 06:40:34 PM »
Agree with Link.  I think the only real mystery about the bodies is who they are, not why they dropped.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2010, 12:24:56 AM »
I agree. I meant to say who the bodies were.

Aranfan

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2010, 05:15:45 PM »
Something I'm hoping to see, eventually (and perhaps even sooner than later), is a timeline placing Elantris, Mistborn, Warbreaker, and The Stormlight Archive chronologically for us fans.  I imagine the Master will make us wait until he's revealed more about the events surrounding the Shattering and Hoid's plot, but it never hurts to dream.

That might be difficult if relativity holds in Sanderson's cosmology.

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2010, 07:04:49 PM »
Something I'm hoping to see, eventually (and perhaps even sooner than later), is a timeline placing Elantris, Mistborn, Warbreaker, and The Stormlight Archive chronologically for us fans.  I imagine the Master will make us wait until he's revealed more about the events surrounding the Shattering and Hoid's plot, but it never hurts to dream.

Even if it did, wouldn't the story have a chronology from the perspective of Hoid, the Shards, and any other forces involved?
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

Aranfan

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2010, 07:21:52 PM »

Even if it did, wouldn't the story have a chronology from the perspective of Hoid, the Shards, and any other forces involved?

Yes, but those chronologies might have the same things happening in different orders.  If Hoid is getting around FTL and relativity holds, then time travel gets thrown in the mix as well.  Time gets funky on Galactic scales, and Vin could have been in an entirely different galaxy than Lightsong for all we know.

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2010, 07:49:38 PM »
I sure hope we don't have to wait that long... but we probably will :(
Now why'd you have to go and push that button?!

- Famous Words of Doom.

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2010, 07:52:09 PM »
Actually, I just thought of something... I'm not sure if anyone else has read the core Dragonlance novels, but Hoid reminds me of Fizbain in those.  Fizbain is, as others may know, Paladine, a God, in disguise.  What if Hoid is smiliar, a shard in "disguise" or something like that... I know it sounds a little out there, but every time I think of Hoid, I immediately think of Fizbain.
Now why'd you have to go and push that button?!

- Famous Words of Doom.