Author Topic: Interesting coincidence  (Read 2352 times)

Talyn

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Writings and Musings
Interesting coincidence
« on: May 28, 2010, 06:12:24 AM »
I have to share this.

My mother tells me this joke yesterday, and calls it engineering humor. I thought it was hilarious. And then last night I bought Serial Killer (finally). So today I'm reading along and lo and behold Margaret tells THE SAME JOKE. No lie.

To be specific, the set-up was slightly different (the way mom told it, the chief had three wives as opposed to three daughters) but all the elements were there, and the punchline was the same. I laughed out loud when I read it. Is that not completely awesome?
It begins with a character, usually, and once he stands up on his feet and begins to move, all I can do is trot along behind him with a paper and pencil trying to keep up long enough to put down what he says and does. ~William Faulkner

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Interesting coincidence
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 05:11:52 PM »
The real question is how long it took to tell the joke. I used a greatly abridged version in the book, but I've heard presentations of the hippopotamus joke that can last 30 minutes or more.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Talyn

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Writings and Musings
Re: Interesting coincidence
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 06:17:58 PM »
I'd like to see that. Mom's version was even shorter than yours, although she'd only just heard it herself, so she probably butchered it in the delivery :p
It begins with a character, usually, and once he stands up on his feet and begins to move, all I can do is trot along behind him with a paper and pencil trying to keep up long enough to put down what he says and does. ~William Faulkner