Author Topic: Tor Hugo Award Review...  (Read 3214 times)

mbarker

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Tor Hugo Award Review...
« on: May 27, 2010, 10:32:29 AM »
Over here...http://www.tor.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=blog&id=59372 talks about why he doesn't think Schlock Mercenary is Hugo material. Down in there is the notion:

"Fun is not enough. I don’t want to just like it, I want to twist my brain around it and spend hours pondering the work the author did with the characters and plot once I’m finished."

I'm fascinated with the implications. I guess unless a piece forces you to work hard to understand it, unless it is hard to understand -- well, that's just not art, my man!

Odd. I'm a reader, and I actually prefer something a bit lighter. But I guess that just proves that I don't have the proper approach to reading. I should be looking for the obtuse, the impenetrable, the literary pains that force twisted brains and similar delights.

I don't know. I think I'll stick with Schlock.

YEAH! Thanks, Howard, for writing something that is understandable. Even if that does disqualify you in some eyes. Please don't stop.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
Re: Tor Hugo Award Review...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 07:59:33 PM »
I think Mandelo's negative opinion comes from only reading the nominated story. Schlock is a tale with epic scope, and Howard has spent ten years building a galaxy-spanning conflict that honestly blows my mind. Most of the complexities and undertones come through in light of the weight of those years of backstory.

But, if you read just LOTA, you come away with a light, fun, worth-reading-but-probably-not-hugo-material piece. In that regard, I agree with her, and perhaps Schlock really isn't hugo material for that reason: it's only truly awesome in large doses, and the hugo awards bite-sized chunks.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 09:20:30 PM »
The Hugos are nothing but a popularity contest anyway, where typically those most visible get nominated.  So I think it funny that the author of that blog post talk about how it isn't deserving and isn't "Hugo Material".  The simple fact that it was nominated shows that amongst the few hundred people that actually nominated anything, Schlock has a measure of popularity.  That in itself means it is Hugo material (which to me doesn't mean much--Schlock is better than the current iteration of "Hugo Worthy") regardless of what that guy thinks.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 01:09:34 PM »
When I went to the hugo awards page, I noticed that maybe 300-400 people voted in each category. That is not alot of votes. They should find another voting method to get more votes. This way it is more inclusive of the community and you get a better pick of books.

It may be low this year since it is in Australia. I would think that bulk of the Fantasy/Sci-Fi readership community is in the US and Europe. That is an expensive trip, especially in a tough economy.

It was also the same weekend as Dragoncon and dragoncon just looked to be more fun.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 08:18:19 PM »
But that's the definition of a Hugo Award. It's the award given by Worldcon members who vote. Period.

Dragon*Con is perfectly able to start its own award.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!