Author Topic: New Writer Advances  (Read 3578 times)

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
New Writer Advances
« on: May 18, 2010, 08:45:09 PM »
So I was talking to Chaos last night (I know, its a bad habit and I'm trying to quit) and the topic of how much people get for their first book came up. He seemed really surprised that an unpublished author could get like a $10,000 advance for their first fantasy book.

Its my understanding that this is pretty standard for a fantasy book.

Now, I know that six figure advances for non-fantasy books can get much higher. Twilight got $250,000 per book ($750,000 total). I have a friend who just made a deal for between $100,000 - $250,000 I think (he won't tell me, anyone have a publishers marketplace account? lol). His book is called The Monster Hunters and its a middle grade book about kids who figure out monsters are real. He's supposed to be taking the slot Holly Black's Spiderwick Chronicles had.

What I'm really wondering is what's the highest advance you've heard of for a first time fantasy author? I want to say Brandon got $20,000 for both Elantris and Final Empire (so really $10,000 per book). Anyone heard of someone who's gotten more than this?

Anyone know what's considered standard for other spec fiction? I'm mainly curious about advances from the more established publishers. I know there are a lot of smaller publishing companies out there that where you would get a lot less, but personally I've always felt you are shooting yourself in the foot by signing with one of them.
Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!

Jexral

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Blog!
Re: New Writer Advances
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 01:06:54 AM »
Terry Goodkind's first book 'Wizard's First Rule' was auctioned for $275,000.  So, that's a bit more than 20,000.  That is, though, the most ever paid for a fantasy novel by a first time writer.
Truth is treason in the empire of lies.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 01:16:02 AM »
Terry Goodkind's first book 'Wizard's First Rule' was auctioned for $275,000.  So, that's a bit more than 20,000.  That is, though, the most ever paid for a fantasy novel by a first time writer.

Umm... why? Was everyone drunk?
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 01:18:23 AM »
Robert Newcomb got more than Goodkind. And look where that got him.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 01:39:18 AM »

Umm... why? Was everyone drunk?

Considering how well the thing sold... I'm gonna go (reluctantly) with "no" on that one. :P

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 05:38:17 AM »

It was also so long ago that I wonder if it should even be included. The business has changed a lot in sixteen years. Hell, David Farland just posted an article about how its changed a lot in the last five years.

Still, that's pretty awesome. I didn't know they'd ever shelled out that kind of money for a fantasy book. I'm wondering how much books like Sabriel, Lies of Locke Lamora or Name of the Wind got.

Robert Newcomb got more than Goodkind. And look where that got him.

That was for 3 books though. Goodkind's advance was just for the 1 book.
Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 07:18:14 PM »
I believe Neecomb's one-book number was still higher than Goodkind's.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 11:13:09 PM »
I tried to read The Fifth Sorceress once, and even though it was a long time ago, the only thing I remember about it was that it was bad.  Wizard's First Rule was actually a pretty good book.  It's the ones that come after it that devolve so quickly into rubbish.  Unfortunately, Tor has signed him back up for more books.  Guess there are enough people that will buy his stuff.  I've been forever cured of that certain malady, however.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 11:15:12 PM by WriterDan »
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 11:44:55 PM »
I believe Eldon Thompson's advance was enormous as well.  I heard $120K a novel, but I can't find anything to back that up.  That first novel was awful.

If there is one drawback to being a book reviewer, it is that Terry Goodkind writes novels that have to read.  I wish he would retire to save the sanity of reviews around the world.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 11:47:55 PM »
I tried to read The Fifth Sorceress once, and even though it was a long time ago, the only thing I remember about it was that it was bad.  Wizard's First Rule was actually a pretty good book.  It's the ones that come after it that devolve so quickly into rubbish.  Unfortunately, Tor has signed him back up for more books.  Guess there are enough people that will buy his stuff.  I've been forever cured of that certain malady, however.

Agreed. I never even read the last one.