Author Topic: A couple of notes on formatting  (Read 5099 times)

Renoard

• Level 20
  • Fell Points: 0
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
Re: A couple of notes on formatting
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 12:43:21 AM »
true except: 1) some people are using plain text editors 2) I've seen recent examples where someone was NOT using modern .rtf/sgml styling and instead used a completely proprietary markup for things like emphasis.

So it *is* relevant. ;)

Of course there's always the option of using AWK or sed markup then running the pipe before submitting. . . .
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 02:11:12 AM »
Plain text doesn't mean 7-bit ASCII. There are dozens of better encodings, and UTF-8 supersedes them all for most uses.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 02:32:21 AM »
um Ryan?  What prompted my comment was your ++text++ notation . . . .

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2010, 02:52:40 AM »
this was an interesting conversation and I really dont know anything about your submissions or whatever, just wanted to chime in here:

RTF is "rich text format" and is a Microsoft proprietary standard. Many text editors can read it, but not all of them. It is especially difficult on people who use Macs or Unix based systems (like Linux). Also, some internet servers still dont "understand" it and garble it. even when I worked for Microsoft, I recommended against RTF and I am going to do so again.

also, for those who are using Office 2007, keep in mind that the default save setting is DOCX format, which can only be read by those using Office 2007 or older versions of Office with a 2007 converter. WordPad and other simple Document readers will not be able to open them.

lethalfalcon

• Level 5
  • Why won't insomnia leave me alone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2010, 03:34:12 AM »
Actually the wordpad in Windows 7 at least can open .docx, as can Openoffice, which is free for everyone (permission to install notwithstanding).

I usually don't have a problem with RTF files (in Linux, using Oo.org), until the other person's exporter munges it. Textedit on OS X should read .rtf just fine, too (although maybe not some of the newest crap Microsoft decided the format needed). It's supposed to be a very stable format, and it's human readable if you don't mind a bunch of control codes in the way. Of course, MS often likes to change things just to slow competitors down, and this format is certainly no stranger to this concept. So, .doc is easier, because its support is practically guaranteed by just about any OS in some way.

I wouldn't even have a problem with straight .txt files, as long as they didn't want any real formatting. Just double enter for each paragraph and I'm good to go. I'll just open it in OO and save it as .doc so I can enter notes.

This original thread came up because of  recent non-standard submissions.  I think the overwhelming response is "We'd prefer you send us things in .doc format, because practically anyone *can* read it. We don't care what you write it in, since there are a lot of different solutions to that. And please name your email title and document using a standard convention, which is actually listed in the rules for this board." Anything else in this thread is just a bunch of "well, my way of doing things is..." which only helps someone else if they're interested in a potentially better way to write their stuff. Oh yeah, and all of our technical knowledge about why things suck. :)
I don't have good days. I have great days, where I'm a magician ridding the world of all evil, or at least everything I don't like. And then I wake up, and it's back to work for me.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2010, 04:20:57 AM »
um Ryan?  What prompted my comment was your ++text++ notation . . . .

Shoot, that's a Ulysses thing and it shouldn't have gotten through the exporter. :\

(Ulysses' markup is customizable, but I had no problem with the ++ notation and so just went with it.)
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 08:01:30 AM »
The concerns over rtf mangling are a good point.  The problem is that MS .DOC format was until recently just an extended proprietary rtf.  "Real" rtf is superior for sharing files around because it doesn't allow for embedding scripts.  That limits the opportunity for sharing virii.  But like so many formats it grossly inflates the document, nowhere near as badly MS Word formats, however.

Derby

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 10:36:44 PM »
What font do you OO users use?  ???

My version does not have either Courier or Times New Roman.

Derby

LongTimeUnderdog

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2010, 03:52:06 PM »
Solution:  Update your version.

Derby

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 04:28:15 PM »
Solution:  Update your version.

Thanks for the reply and suggestion.  However, according to the Synaptic Package Manager, I have the latest version installed.

Looking closer I realize that I DO have the Courier 10 Pitch but that is monospaced and I really don't like to use monospacing.

I was wondering if Nimbus Roman No9 L is considered a good substitute for Times New Roman? ???

Derby

lethalfalcon

• Level 5
  • Why won't insomnia leave me alone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2010, 05:03:48 PM »
Install the ttf-mscorefonts-installer package
I don't have good days. I have great days, where I'm a magician ridding the world of all evil, or at least everything I don't like. And then I wake up, and it's back to work for me.

Derby

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2010, 05:33:19 PM »
Install the ttf-mscorefonts-installer package

Thanks, lethalfalcon,  I did install the suggested package and Times New Roman appears to now be my default font.  :)

I can now convert my micro story that I'll be submitting on Monday.

Besides being new to Reading Excuses, I fairly new to Linux.

Derby