Author Topic: Computer Trouble  (Read 4396 times)

Terrisman243

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Join the Omegas!
    • View Profile
Computer Trouble
« on: May 15, 2010, 02:34:44 AM »
I figured that some of you are computer savy, so I figure I'll ask here.

My computer (Windows XP SP2) has been infected by a virus called Data Protector that tells me that my computer is infected and that I need to buy the full version to get rid of the viruses.

Now I used Task Manager to end process dataprot.exe, but it kept starting up. I discovered that a program called iexplorer.exe ( I use chrome so I know that's not right) that kept starting up the program. However, iexplorer.exe keeps starting up. I tried to delete the Data Protector files in the Program Files area, but it won't let me delete the .dll files because 'they are currently in use'.

I use Windows Defender, and it noticed the file, but it didn't do anything about it. (It told me it was going to show Microsoft what it was, because Defender was unsure what it is) 

According to research, this file (Data Protector) is a virut, which attaches to exe files and corrupts files. Apparently the only solution is to clean the disk and reinstall windows. Is this really the only solution? And would it be safe to transfer My Documents to a flash drive, and then to my iMac (10.6.3)? I would dislike losing my files on there, but I will if I need to.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Computer Trouble
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 04:50:16 AM »

Boot in safe mode then try deleting the DLLs.  If that doesn't work you may need to do some tricky regedit stuff.  So I'd say if booting in safe mode won't let you delete the DLLs either purchase a good anti-virus or backup your files and reinstall windows.

You could also live boot Linux and delete the DLLs.

EDIT:: You should also uninstall IE before you delete the DLLs and reinstall it afterward.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 06:28:42 AM »
Is it even possible to uninstall IE under XP? I thought it was a critical piece of the system. They could have fixed that by XP or one of its service packs; I'm too lazy to google it.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 06:43:28 AM »
As far as I know, it is. I've never actually tried, but to my knowledge it's  Vista (and probably 7) in which you can't uninstall IE. I remember the complaints about it.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 08:55:42 AM »

I'm not sure if you can uninstall it, but I know it needed to run a lot of stuff in Windows so that's why I said to reinstall.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Terrisman243

• Level 5
  • Join the Omegas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 03:01:39 PM »
Would it be safe to put My Documents on a flash drive?

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 06:31:43 PM »

Generally speaking it should be yes.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 12:54:11 AM »
Programs like that can be a real pain to remove. If its one if the bad ones, you might have to just reinstall windows. I know as much about removing those things as anyone and I often just resort to formatting and reinstalling windows because its a lot less time consuming.

The one you have is a pretty bad one. Hard to remove. There are some free removal tools online that you can try. Here is what I would do if it was me:

Click the link below and run their removal tool. I've never used it before but its the first thing I'd try.

http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-data-protection.html

IF that seems to remove most of it, I would then go here and run their free web based scan:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Afterwards I would download this program:

http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/

It can do a different type of scan of your computer and shows any changes made to your startup, browser, etc. Actually, if you want you can do that first, then copy and past the log here and I'll take a look at it for you and can tell you what to remove.

Hikackthis is great, but if you just check things and remove them you can make valid programs not work.

For backing up things, most of your files should be in c:\documents and settings\<your username>

A lot of times that folder gets pretty big, The main folders inside it that you want to backup are the favorites, desktop and documents.

Hope this helps!
Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 02:33:02 PM »
In addition to all the great advice you've received, i'll throw this out there. If you can figure out the virus signature (most anti-virus software tells you what it is when it alerts you to it, even if it doesnt remove it properly) you can usually locate tools made specifically for removing and cleaning up that specific virus.

Example of how virus signatures (its mainly just the "name" of the virus) look (taken from mcafee's virus database):

Exploit-PDF.cn!stream
FakeAlert-AntiVirusPro
W32/Blaster.worm.a
VBS/Loveletter@MM
VCL.883

If you can figure out what your specific virus is, i would run a google search for it, you can usually find some specialized tools for removing it, along with step-by-step instructions for doing so.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 10:57:39 PM »
If you can figure out what your specific virus is, i would run a google search for it, you can usually find some specialized tools for removing it, along with step-by-step instructions for doing so.

That was actually the first link that I sen him:

Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 11:56:28 PM »

That was actually the first link that I sen him:

ah, didn't notice that. however, even if i did, i likely would have mentioned it anyways, as it's just plain a useful bit of advice in my opinion (i.e. look up about your specific virus and find any and all specific removal tools related to it). :P

I just glanced over the links real quick and thought they were all generic removal tools, obviously not noticing the one specified to data protector :P
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Terrisman243

• Level 5
  • Join the Omegas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 01:18:24 PM »
Thank you all very much, this was very helpful, and my PC is up and running. I used the www.2-spyware.com/remove-data-protection to get rid of most of the virus, then I downloaded Lavasoft's Ad-aware program and used that to clean up the remnants.

Thanks again!

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 12:14:55 AM »
spyware removal programs, according to a lifelong PC tech (me, 40 years old) ;)

1: Super Anti-Spyware
2: Spybot Search& Destroy
3: Ad-Aware

I do recommend using ALL THREE. Because they do, in some ways, complement each other.