Author Topic: I dislike this  (Read 6946 times)

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: I dislike this
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 04:55:39 PM »

So these are the Japanese covers for WoA. . . .

They changed the name to Mistspirit and I really dislike the art.

Yeah, if you don't like Japanese... anything, this isn't going to sit well.  Sometimes I think they like staring at cartoon girly boys more than they like looking at their actual women.

As for the title, "born" is probably one of the top 10 most difficult words for Japanese people to say and to read in Katakana.  Why they have to use the transliterated English "Mistspirtsuto" blah instead of something equivalent in Japanese that gives the same effect is another question.  They probably just think English sounding things are cool. 

But for the first one it was ミストボーン So it would have already been recognized that way.

Sorry I don't understand what the "If you don't like Japanese  . . . anything," meant.

Music, art, animation, cinema... he probably meant culture in general.  From what I understand, disliking Japanese culture is the opposite of your personality, Ne?
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 07:43:26 PM »

Oh I love Japanese culture and language and music, but I'm not someone who does things like "Oh gosh, that's so kawaii!" Because I frankly find that extremely irritating.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 10:23:12 PM »
Who is Shane?
Ah, hecks, I spelled his name wrong.  I meant Zane!
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

KhyEllie

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 03:32:26 AM »
I thought the guy was Elend, which was okay but still scary, and then I was like "OMG, It's Zane!"
Which is like three thousand times scarier. What does Brandon say?

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2010, 04:52:28 AM »

Brandon has either seen them or will soon.  You'd have to ask Peter though to know for sure of Brandon's opinion.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 12:53:08 PM »
Japanese artistic tastes could easily be different than americans. So an American style cover may not sell in Japan.

Mistspirit? That could easily be a translation issue. It may mean something close to mistborn in the English. I think that fantasy and science are probably hard to translate.

does anyone know how long it takes someone to translate a book to Japanese or any non-western language? Is it 2 weeks of work? 4 weeks?

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2010, 04:05:05 PM »
Japanese artistic tastes could easily be different than americans. So an American style cover may not sell in Japan.

Mistspirit? That could easily be a translation issue. It may mean something close to mistborn in the English. I think that fantasy and science are probably hard to translate.

does anyone know how long it takes someone to translate a book to Japanese or any non-western language? Is it 2 weeks of work? 4 weeks?

Nah.  The first book was still called Mistborn in Japanese.  I think they wanted to distinguish the two, so they named it Mist Spirit after Preservation, who hangs around creeping out Vin throughout much of the book. (Both in Katakana, meaning just the english word, but adjusted to how the Japanese speak, i.e. MiSuToBo-N and MiSuToSuPiRiTo.)

Japanese and English have completely opposite grammar patterns and what sounds cool in Japanese can sound really stupid in English (look at poor anime dubs for proof of this) and Vice Versa.  With books this size, and checking every sentence for correct meaning (as opposed to a simple literal translation, which would be horrible), and then making sure you are consistent in how you translate you fantasy elements, I imagine this takes a great deal longer than a few weeks.  Granted, they can(and do) just take any new English word and put it in Katakana, but there's still the rest of the book to consider.
-Peter Ahlstrom

Troubadour

• Level 4
  • Fantabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2010, 05:25:29 PM »
Quite a few names in Mistborn would translate terribly to Japanese, when you think about it.
Vin = Bin,
Kelsier = Kerushia (Or Kerushie, if you follow the "correct" pronunciation),
Straff = Tsurafu,
Beldre = Berudore,
Sazed = Seizeddo
Lestibournes = Resuttobounzo,
and so on.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2010, 07:05:05 PM »

If I remember, when I bring my books from one house to the other I'll look into how they are written in the Mistborn books.  They did a really good job for Elantris.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

KhyEllie

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2010, 02:30:10 AM »
I kind of like the Kelsier and Straff translations...Kelsier takes some getting used to, but I could get into it. :-\

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2010, 03:07:34 AM »
Hmm... If I were doing the katakana I would probably go with SuToRaFu for Straff...
-Peter Ahlstrom

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2010, 04:12:06 AM »

These are the names as they appear in the beginning of both volumes of Final Empire.

ヴィン                 - Vin
キャモン             - Kyamon
ウレフ                 - Urefu
ケルシヤー         - Kerushya-
ドクソン             - Dokuson
ブリーズ             - Buri-zu
ハモンド(ハム)  -Hamondo(Hamu)
クラブス             - Kurabusu
レスティボウルネス         - Resutibourunesu
イエデン             - Ieden
マーシュ             - Ma-shyu
セイズド             - Seizudo
ヴェンチャー     - Venchya-
ルノー                 - Runo-
トルスティング                - Toresutingu
ディモー             -Dimo-
ストラフ             - Sutorafu
エレンド             - Erendo
シャン                 - Shan
エラリエル        - Erarieru
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 07:44:20 AM by Miyabi »
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2010, 07:20:26 AM »
Miyabi, when I need a small ィ, I type fi フィ and then delete the fu. I'm sure there's an actual standard way to do it...
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2010, 07:46:47 AM »

Thanks Peter.  I decided to take a minute and look it up now that I had time.  You type xi, xu, xa, etc. for the smaller vowels.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Troubadour

• Level 4
  • Fantabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2010, 04:21:17 PM »
Ah, thank God for that. I've always typed something ridiculous like dyi for small vowels.