Author Topic: The Virgin Suicides  (Read 2066 times)

Jexral

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • My Blog!
The Virgin Suicides
« on: May 02, 2010, 09:50:56 AM »
I watched this film several weeks ago, and it has been just playing over and over in my head ever since.  I find myself thinking back to it frequently.  I was just wondering if anyone else has seen it and had a similar reaction.  Like it?  Dislike it?

I think it's so haunting because of its mysterious quality - it's haunting for the same reason that the boys can't stop thinking about the titular suicides. 

I've also seen Sofia Coppola's other films, Lost in Translation and Marie Antoinette, and they share a similar element.  She seems to make great films, IMO.  Her new one should be out this year... Somewhere, I think it is called.
Truth is treason in the empire of lies.

MaeLavanya

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Adonalsium.net
Re: The Virgin Suicides
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 11:21:38 AM »
I've seen this movie, and I have seen Marie Antoinette and Lost in Translation.

I really like The Virgin Suicides the best of all three. Lost in Translation was a bit of a disappointment to me after I had read all the praising reviews.

The thing about The Virgin Suicides is that it is a good story but what makes it so good is the mysterious quality you mention. The end is absolutely horrifying and from what I can remember, it's rather unexpected (too bad the title of the movie kind of ruins the surprise :p).

Anyway, it's a long time since I saw this movie so I might be wrong. Perhaps I should see it again.
You know you want to join us at Adonalsium.net!

Jexral

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Blog!
Re: The Virgin Suicides
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 07:43:03 AM »
I liked Lost in Translation the best out of her films, but I hadn't even heard of it before I watched it.  No expectations.
Truth is treason in the empire of lies.