Author Topic: I guess now's as good a time as any to announce  (Read 10106 times)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: I guess now's as good a time as any to announce
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2010, 07:52:09 AM »
Chris, it's me.  We need to do a skype four way and discuss a couple of things.  Like for one the name change -- which I'm sure you'll agree is needed in light of certain... readings.

We need to discuss a lot of things! Haha.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2010, 10:05:04 PM »
Yeah, we do.  Right now though we need to see when Chris is available...
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

BloodlessVictory

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Portalstones.com
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2010, 02:24:03 AM »
Side note:  I'm making preparations to do a Stormlight Archive fan site, although someone else seems to have official status for Stormlight Archive (Roshar.net).  I'll be watching Hoids Compendium with interest and hope you guys do a great job with it.

Roshar sounds like it may develop a wiki, but you guys also seem to have a wiki in mind.  Since your site overarches all of Brandon's work, itd make sense to contact others (Roshar and Mistborn Empire) and see if you can get everybody on board with contributing to the Hoids Compendium wiki so there is one chief source that everyone can go to for encyclopedic info about any Sanderson book or series.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2010, 05:05:30 AM »

Jordan has the official SA fan site title and we are going to already be working closely with him.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2010, 02:12:12 PM »
We will be looking at all the Brandon fansites, so if anyone forms one, we'd love to know about it.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2010, 05:03:46 PM »
Did you hear about Adonalsium.net?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2010, 07:26:15 PM »
Indeed, I did. They seem to be doing something quite different from what we're planning--that site is mostly just a communal meeting place (at least, from what I can tell).

Our site essentially intends to be Brandon's Dragonmount.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2010, 04:59:31 AM »
So the site's not working now?  Oh, good, I thought the link was broken or something, cuz it took me someplace weird.  Not good that the site is down, though, I wanted to go there!  >:(
Can't wait to get into this!
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Tegal Savian

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2010, 08:53:30 PM »
Indeed, I did. They seem to be doing something quite different from what we're planning--that site is mostly just a communal meeting place (at least, from what I can tell).

While not a role-playing game site, www.adonalsium.net is a community of diverse individuals from around the globe who have a keen interest in the novels of Brandon Sanderson, not to mention those of many other fantasy and science fiction authors.  We are far more than a meeting place (an understatement, to say the least) and I invite any and all of you who are interested in pursuing discussion on a great many topics to join us!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2010, 05:35:44 AM »

While not a role-playing game site, www.adonalsium.net is a community of diverse individuals from around the globe who have a keen interest in the novels of Brandon Sanderson, not to mention those of many other fantasy and science fiction authors.  We are far more than a meeting place (an understatement, to say the least) and I invite any and all of you who are interested in pursuing discussion on a great many topics to join us!

I stand corrected.

Though what I meant was it seemed like a discussion board with an emphasis on, you know, community. There wasn't much content production itself, which is what our site is going for.

Not that either is better, of course. I did intend to insult. Community based sites are the major pillar in fandom :D I meant those words with the utmost respect

Tegal Savian

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2010, 06:15:02 AM »
Although I'm brand new to TWG, Chaos (and that was my very first post), I thank you for the apology and retraction.  There is indeed a great deal more to www.adonalsium.net than at first meets the eye.  For starters, as a new member to that site, one is only allowed access to a certain variety of forums and their topics (obviously).  (As a guest without membership, the options are even less.)  As an intermediate member (for which one can apply after one month's membership), one is opened to another level of forums and is invited to choose a path (i.e.:  Magus, Noble or Cleric).  The path of Magus includes Elantrians, Mistborn, Keepers and Awakeners; the path of Noble includes Mistborn and Returned; the path of Cleric includes Elantrians, Keepers and Gyorns.  This path may be chosen only after a member has been at the intermediate level for two months (during which each is able to explore every path and find her/his way within them).  Note:  More paths will be made available once The Stormlight Archive has made a significant mark on The Adonalsium Mythos, on which www.adonalsium.net is based (with Brandon's go-ahead; there's a link to the site on his blog).

Okay, I apologize if this came off as an advertisement; I didn't intend it as such, but more a description of the site and just how one might navigate through it.  Nevertheless, please do come visit us again, Chaos; I and others would welcome your input and that of anyone else who is intent on the progress of Brandon Sanderson through his own series and the completion of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2010, 08:08:24 AM »
I'm actually registered there as Julian Casuana, though I was slightly peeved that I couldn't use my regular username.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2010, 11:34:25 PM »
You can't see the whole forum for a month after joining?  That's not something I'd be willing to go along with, really.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

MaeLavanya

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Adonalsium.net
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2010, 10:05:36 PM »
Hey guys! :)

I just registered... I'm the founder of adonalsium.net. Tegal indeed is one of my administrators. With all good intentions, she seems to have gone a bit overboard with posting about my site everywhere. It's very much appreciated of course but I do hope we have not offended anyone by it.

Anyway, I am sorry that we have hijacked your thread, Chaos! Congratulations on founding your own site, I've known about it from short after it was registered as a site, I am very excited to see what it will become.

I will explain a little about my site, because I believe some things are a little unclear (which I take from the comment from Fireborn).
When you first register, you get access to all book discussion forums and the new members section. You will get to know the people a little. Then, after making 10 posts in total (which is easily reached by just posting "hi" to all new members in the new members forum), you get acces to about 5 more forums. You have then reached the "Wanderer" rank. When you have spent a month at this rank, you can become an Adventurer, which will then allow you to choose one of the paths we offer that Tegal specified. The final stage is where you attain the priviledge of being a full member of one of those paths.
With every path, you gain access to a couple more forums. With becoming a Wanderer, you gain access to *the* most important forums of the site, as that is where the site is the most active.
If you'd like to learn more, this here is a pretty interesting guide

Chaos: the reason why you can't use your name, like Chaos2651 (assuming that is your regular username), is because we would like to have the forums set in a way that we could be characters in any of Brandon Sanderson's worlds. Also, it gives you a more personal name but it still protects your privacy (with that I mean is that we would never require anyone to use their real names, of course). I hope that makes more sense. I do understand why you would dislike that you cannot use your regular username, but I hope you can see the fun side of it too!

We're still a young site, however, and still evolving a lot. We've only been opened since February. It's a tough process to build our site and to actually find an audience who would like to be active at our site. It's hard to advertise because I don't want to come off as obnoxious on other forums or sites, but I do want the word out. It's hard to find a balance, in that way. It's why I personally am a bit more reserved if it comes to advertising and that is the same thing that I ask of my members!
But it's also a lot of fun and very challenging.

I would love to learn more about your site and I would be open to any cooperation. If you need any of my help (I've lots of experience in this field!). Feel free to send me a message to [email protected] at any time and I will reply as soon as I can :D (Oh and for your information... The name I registered with here is the same as I use at my site. I thought it would be handy!)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 10:20:26 PM by MaeLavanya »
You know you want to join us at Adonalsium.net!

Korwin

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2010, 02:20:40 PM »
follow on twitter and friended on facebook...