Author Topic: Release the kraken! (AKA Clash of the titans) *possibly spoilers*  (Read 2902 times)

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 0
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
Went and saw this last night. Anyone else go see it?

Honestly, i thought it was mediocre at best. I mean, it wasn't terrible, it was quite watchable, but the story was mashed up quite a bit, and it got a firm dose of hollywood "dazzle" on it.

Also: No mechanical owl (outside of a cameo) :(

One of the biggest things that irked me was the fact that they tried to make medusa look appealing, despite the fact that the movie itself claimed that "medusa was so ugly, men who see her turn to stone". So medusa had like a pretty-looking face, and the upper torso of a curvateous woman, with a snake lower body, and snakes for hair (if they didn't do THAT, i would kill someone)

edit: also, while i'm at it ranting about the movie, there's one other thing that was a fairly sizeable detrement to my enjoyment of the film.

This was the addition of a specific new character, who replaces andromeda as the love interest for perseus (andromeda is still in it and plays all the other same roles as before). They basically added a hollywood generic "Butt-kicking female" character to fill said role, likely to make it so that all the women in the movie weren't like "oh noes! We are weak and womanly, please save us big strong mens!" kinda how the older movie went down.

Now, i know this was likely because of the changes in society from then to today, and i dont have any problem generally with this type of character.

However, i do have a problem with them rewriting a classic, and adding something in only to appease a group of their audience, simply because of the mindset differences from now to then.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 07:52:41 PM by Eerongal »
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Release the kraken! (AKA Clash of the titans) *possibly spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 04:10:54 PM »
If I listed everything that was wrong with this movie, I would be transcribing the script.

Clash of the Titans?  More like Clash of the Pitiful and Boring Humans.

Thank goodness Christopher Nolan has a movie this year.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 04:25:51 PM »

This brings up another point that irked me. I really didn't like perseus being like "NO! I AM NOT THE SON OF A GOD! I'M HUMAN! *TEENAGE ANGST!*"

Also: Why was hades the bad guy? Simply because its easy to make him the bad guy? He wasn't even in the old movie, but now he's the primary antagonist of like everything.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 09:59:43 PM »

This brings up another point that irked me. I really didn't like perseus being like "NO! I AM NOT THE SON OF A GOD! I'M HUMAN! *TEENAGE ANGST!*"

Also: Why was hades the bad guy? Simply because its easy to make him the bad guy? He wasn't even in the old movie, but now he's the primary antagonist of like everything.

Hades was in this movie because in this version of mythology, he was the god of the oceans, and in charge of the Kraken...Poseidon was on holiday.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 10:28:41 PM »

Hades was in this movie because in this version of mythology, he was the god of the oceans, and in charge of the Kraken...Poseidon was on holiday.

The hell? That's stretching anyone's knowledge on Greek mythology far past the breaking point...
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 10:45:22 PM »

Oh, whatever.  Poseidon was there.  He only had like one line though:  "You ought to listen to him, brother," as he's glancing over his own shoulder, or some other such muck.  He might as well have not been in it though.

This movie was mostly just chaos, and I probably wouldn't have followed things very well if not for the fact that I watched the 1981 version like 15-gazilliion times when I was a kid.  They tried to go big, they tried to go complicated, they tried for the nostalgia-effect, and they pretty much failed all around.  Really unfortunate.  I thought it had a lot of potential.  Lots of big names, lots of computer graphics, but man...just, yeah.  I didn't really have a lot riding on it when I went into the theater though, so when it was all over I just like:  "Meh.  Another remake botch-job.  Oh well."

And then on the way out of the theater my brother told me that they're going to do a remake of Short Circuit.  Is Hollywood  seriously trying to destroy all[\u] of my awesome childhood memories?  I mean, COME ON!

But sooooooooooo excited about Inception.  Ha, ha!  At least someone knows how to make movies still.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 10:48:46 PM by WriterDan »
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 04:29:18 AM »
So wait, did they even A LITTLE try to stick to the original myth?
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 04:31:48 AM »
So wait, did they even A LITTLE try to stick to the original myth?

Kinda. All the *basic* plot elements were there, but essentially it was an entire re-imaging of it.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 04:43:23 AM »
Ick.  Maybe I won't see it then... at least not and pay for it.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 04:52:53 AM »
Ick.  Maybe I won't see it then... at least not and pay for it.

Heh, well, see, i see all my movies for free. My girlfriend's sister is a manger at a movie theater. I even get to see 3D movies free. I dont think i've *PAID* for a movie in like 2 years.

Also:  kinda off topic, but it made me think of it as a good summation for this movie....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJHTh6rAuBg
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 05:09:47 AM »
NICE!!!  I wish I could do that... mine are more like borrowing movies from the local library. Kind of...