Author Topic: How's Scott Lynch doing?  (Read 5530 times)

morppp

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
How's Scott Lynch doing?
« on: April 06, 2010, 01:15:25 AM »
Firstly, let me apologize for posting this question here but Mr. Lynch's site doesn't offer any new info on how he's doing. I'm a huge fan of his Gentleman Bastards series and am hoping he's able to make a comeback, his talent as a writer is considerable and imo as good as Mr. Sanderson.

Secondly, does anyone know a bit more about how he's been?

Kind Regards,

morppp

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: How's Scott Lynch doing?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 04:46:46 AM »
Why, has he been ill? I haven't heard anything like that, but I haven't paid attention to news surrounding him.

I don't believe Brandon has ever corresponded with Scott.

Also, we have a Books forum.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 05:41:56 AM »
The last post on his LiveJournal on March 8th states that he's in therapy for depression and panic attacks, both of which have interferred not only with his writing, but with every aspect of his life.

I don't know if that was what morppp was referring to, but regardless, I hope everything is going well.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 10:28:14 AM »
Yow. I hope he's not cracking up, I really enjoy his books. I wonder what's getting under his skin?

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 04:01:16 PM »
He had a family member pass away last year, and yeah, he's been dealing with bouts of depression. 

As far as I can tell, the prequel novellas to his series comes out in a month or so in the UK, and REPUBLIC OF THIEVES is slated for October.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

morppp

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 11:22:56 PM »
Yeah I was referring to that, the flow of information via his site stop quite suddenly, a few days after I first read his first GB book, and I've been keeping an eye out for an update on him and his problem but no luck in that department.

Man I hope he can get his life back on track, he seems like a really nice guy and is a fantastic writer.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 12:49:20 PM »
he just posted an update on his blog. first time in months. Apparently he got divorced and is still not writing.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 07:46:24 PM »
Where'd you find that?  I just checked out everything I can find on him through Google and can't see anything that even hints to this.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 09:00:01 PM »
Where'd you find that?  I just checked out everything I can find on him through Google and can't see anything that even hints to this.

His blog can be found here: http://scott-lynch.livejournal.com/

And, good news from his most recent post - it looks like he's writing again! As much as he can as his anxiety attacks permit, it seems.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Unicorn

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 07:18:44 PM »
Any news about Mr. Lynch? I loved the first two books and can't wait to read Republic of Thieves.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 04:44:04 PM »
Don't hold your breath.  I've put him with Martin in the "never gonna finish the series" category.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 03:01:44 PM »
Scott Lynch has medical issues that are apparently incapacitating him.
George RR Martin just doesn't want to work on that hard on the series. He is clearly using his fame from Ice and Fire to make money off of easier projects (short story books that he edits, public appearances, the TV Series).

These are too different things. I have never had an illness like Scott Lynch. I would cut the poor guy some slack. His life appears to be a mess.

hubay

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 03:15:50 AM »
Meh, I don't like to judge Martin for his anthologies, cuz I think he honestly enjoys them. And I'm fine with the tv series because it should inspire/force him to write more. But I don't think we want this thread to turn into a martin forum.

I saw a thing for Republic of Thieves on suvudu's New Releases section last week, which really confused me because I thought it meant his book was out now. Must have just been a mistake, though, because they've taken it down already. Anyone know why that might have made it up there?

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 09:08:00 AM »
Don't know if any of you have caught this yet or not...

Found a link to a recent Scott Lynch interview through Pat's Fantasy Hotlist.

The link is here:  http://www.orionbooks.co.uk/books/the-republic-of-thieves-hardback  Click on the extras tab there to see it.  Four mp3's.

As a side note, Lynch's voice totally threw me.  For the first half of the interview or so, I was asking myself if someone would have the audacity to do a fake interview.  Just his voice in comparison to the pictures of him I've seen on the internet didn't match with each other.  Was a good interview though.  They said that Republic of Thieves is slated for a 2011 release, but failed to give a month.  :(  Ah well, at least it's coming.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

fireflyz

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 02:11:09 PM »
I spoke with Scott at World Fantasy at the end of October.  He seemed to be doing better.  I asked him about the next book and he said that he hoped to have it out this spring.  Having said that, I don't know if it will actually happen.  Usually when there's months in between posts it's not a good sign.  I feel bad for the guy.  His exwife has a live journal that she posts very candidly about their relationship.  A few months after she left him she was posting about how great it was to be free and there are several posts about dating other people and wanting to be with someone else.  Obviously, there are two sides to every story, but if you're having panic/anxiety attacks and then your wife leaves you and starts putting up stuff like that, I can't imagine it's very helpful in moving on with your life.
Follow my journey from aspiring author to published phenom.  Along the way we'll discover the dos and don'ts of successful writing!

http://twitter.com/ryanvanloan