Author Topic: Suvudu Cage Match Finals, Rand vs Jaime  (Read 6127 times)

Phaz

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Suvudu Cage Match Finals, Rand vs Jaime
« on: April 03, 2010, 04:30:51 AM »
If anyone has been following the Suvudu Cage Match it's down to the final two putting Rand Al'Thor vs Jaime Lannister.   I was really hoping that Kvothe beat out Jaime but he just couldn't quite do it.

George R. R. Martin proposed an interesting idea on his blog.  He said the fight should be "Trial of Seven" from Westeros Tradition, where the heroes will fight along side 6 of their pals each.  He suggested he could take any six from his works and stories, and Rand be given a choice of 6 allies from the group of Jordan's and Brandon's works.   Kind of a fun idea.

That being said, which 6 would you pair up with Rand?

This would be my choice:

Sazed - Post HoA Sazed has to be a force to reckon with IMO
Vin - If she can be the same as the last time we saw her (end of HoA) then she could probably almost do this fight herself
Lord Ruler - This guy didn't survive so long because he was easy to kill
Vasher - With his collect of Breath's and his sword of course
Alcatraz - Chances are GRRM's picks would rely on a couple 'unbreakable' magical artifacts.
Matt - Can't lose with the dark one's own luck

I had a couple that almost made my list.  They were:

Lews Therin - Might as well have him and Rand.  All Rand's abilities and potential but he knows how to use 'em
Lightsong - I really don't think this fight would be in the bag and all 6 wouldn't be needed, might as well bring along some comic relief to make the fight more fun to watch.

I know people on the forum like this kind of thing, so who would you pick?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 04:34:57 AM by Phaz »

Aginor221

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Re: Suvudu Cage Match Finals, Rand vs Jaime
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 05:40:16 AM »
I probably wouldnt have put the Lord Ruler up there. Definitely Perrin. You gots to have the trio - with all that Taver'an at work they couldnt lose. Actually...you would probably only need them, they could take any number of GRRM's characters. Everyone else is perfect though, I especially like Vasher up there - with all the trappings of course.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 09:25:50 AM »
Hmmm... is Rand allowed to channel? Is magic in general allowed? If it is, then end of HOA Vin, the Lord Ruler, end of HOA Sazed and some of the others mentioned would be overkill. May as well bring in Ruin to make sure the job gets done. If not, it becomes a much more difficult fight. Rand can fight without magic, but Vin, the Lord Ruler, and Sazed I'm not so sure about - I think they can, but each seems to rely on their magical abilities more than their pure physical.

Mat. Definitely Mat. His luck can turn the tide, and he's a skilled strategist. Add in the reach provided by his ashandarei and his cool hat...
Perrin, because you can't have Rand and Mat without Perrin. He can smell what the opponents are feeling, and his other senses are just as highly attuned. All three Ta'veren in one place...
Vasher. Knows how to handle a sword, even if it's not his sentient blade. No certain how much use Breath would be, but if can use it, it can't hurt too much.
Aviendha can fight with weapons and without, and is strong in the One Power if channeling is allowed. Having her there, and in potential danger, would make Rand fight harder (is this an all-on-all brawl, or seven individual matches?)
Despite what I said above, I'm gonna pick Vin as well. She's tough, scrappy, and her size could prove an advantage against larger opponents. She's ten times as valuable if she can use Allomancy, but even without I think she's proven herself intelligent, capable, and resourceful.
The last spot is hard to pick... I want to go with another Sanderson original, to make it 3 from Jordan and 3 from Sanderson, but my gut is telling me to go with Gareth Bryne. He's a blademaster, one of the Five Great Captains, and he has the Warder bond enhancing him now. He's experienced, intelligent, and dedicated. The Warder bond is the only thing close to magic he has, and honestly I don't think he'd even need that. Just give him a sword.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 03:23:34 PM »
technically it could be

Rand
The Dark one
Lews Therin
God
Min
Ishamael

But that wouldn't be much fun.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 08:51:40 AM »
If magic is allowable, I don't see how GRRM's cast has a chance, regardless of whether or not you allow the inclusion of Shard Universe characters from Brandon's side.

Balefire = end of show.

Bejay

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 09:15:35 AM »
If Balefire is allowed, I'd ask that Rand challanges Richard Rahl to a side duell in the hopes that Rand uses a beam strong enough to burn all but the first two Sword of truth books out of the pattern....

Back to topic, I don't know all of GRRMs works, but I don't see how he could stand a chance against Vin, Mat, Elend, Perrin, Raoden and Lightsong (doing the commenting at the sideline, he won't be needed to fight)

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 05:58:20 PM »
The Rand vs. Jamie thing must just be them in a straight sword fight. Rand by himself with channeling could easily take over the entire Song of Ice and Fire world . . . and it wouldn't even take long.

If it wasn't for the girl with the 3 dragons I'd say that someone like 2nd book Vin could even do it. Hell, Vin could probably kill the 3 dragons too.

The contest would have to be without magic. I mean, Rand with his magic vs. Jamie Lannister??? That's like Bruce Lee vs. Superman. It's a little one sided . . .

But even without magic I'm thinking Rand would beat the snot out of Jamie.

*****SPOILER ALERT***********
(Highlight below to read)

I think the main reason to compare them is because both Rand and Jamie lose their weapon hand. So the question is: which cripple would win.

My money would still be on Rand.
Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 06:59:03 PM »
Yeah, the highlighting is totally not how to do spoilers.  Still can't read it.  Well, yeah I could, but it was way to hard.
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 07:04:05 PM »
Yeah, the highlighting is totally not how to do spoilers.  Still can't read it.  Well, yeah I could, but it was way to hard.

I had to change the colour of my highlighting to read it... :P
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 07:31:44 PM »
Good, then I didn't accidentally spoil things for you.  :D

And don't try to ruin all the hard work I did to find out the exact color I needed so that the text couldn't be read.  >:(
Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 07:35:21 PM »
The comments on GRRM's blog are interesting.

Very few of them mention Brandon's characters and most are just pulling characters from ASOIAF for the other side.  I'd say about 30% of them at least say "Just fight in a stedding and..."

That's pretty amusing.  Basically they are just saying "Take away all the advantages the other side has and then our side stands a chance"

I really hope Rand wins this.  GRRM has a huge dedicated following but WoT has so many fan sites to tap for votes.

Ogge

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • ogrens website
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 01:22:17 PM »
Rand
Jearom - Bestest Swordman ever!
Mat - Lucky
Lanfear - Evil
Perrin - Just along for the ride
Sazed - Well....he's kind of a God now isn't he?
Lord Ruler - Hard to kill
"Kneel or you will be knelt."

www.sveaulvar.com

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 03:24:52 PM »
Oh come on?!  No votes for Conan?  You have to have Conan, especially if they pull that stedding crap.  If that were the case (no magic), here's my list:

Vasher (resourceful and deadly)
Mat (lucky)
Perrin (merciless)
Conan (for brutality purposes)
Lan (a little finesse)
Paddan Fain (with dagger of course)

**edit**

I might be tempted to toss in Birget for a little ranged damage.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 03:26:55 PM by Recovering_Cynic »
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 03:56:29 PM »
Conan was already balefired out of existence.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 04:56:19 PM »
my fun lineup
Rand
Hoid
Vasher
Kelsier
Narg
Shaidar Haran
TLR

essential the fight goes like this:

Rand looks at his opponents, and freezes them in Air, eats lunch, and shakes them up and down until they die. His teammates didn't need to do anything.
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."