Author Topic: Posting on the Forum  (Read 1942 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Posting on the Forum
« on: May 18, 2004, 12:31:17 AM »
Just a thought, folks.  I was thinking that maybe the entire forum experience would be more interesting if we tried to explain ourselves a little more.

Let me give an example.  The 'TV Shows you loved as Kids' thread.  A lot of the posts are simply lists.  Now, there's nothing wrong with that--but I wonder if the thread would be more interesting if we tried to give some explanations.  Pick ONE show, instead of a whole list of them, and put it in your post.  Then, tell us why you loved it, or what you think of it now.  Make some sort of contributory comment.

I fell similarly about a lot of the threads, such as those in the Music section.  The "What's Playin'" thread has started to annoy me a little bit.  I started it as an interesting experiment to see what we could learn about each other.  However, people soon started listing five or six songs in one post, and I grew bored, feeling that the thread had simply turned into people listing their favorite music.

Instead, what if you randomly (it HAS to be random) played a song out of your list, then tell us where you got it, why you bought/downloaded it, and what you think of it?  Wouldn't this be more interesting.

Cool Lyrics.  WHY do you think that's a cool lyric?

Quotes.  Who gave the quote!  Half the time these aren't even attributed.  Tell us where you found it, and why you were thinking of it when you decided to post.

Again, I'm not really very annoyed by this; I've just always thought we were missing out on some interesting discussions because people didn't give proper thought to their posts.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 12:31:55 AM by EUOL »
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: Posting on the Forum
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 02:32:40 AM »
I agree, EUOL. Most of the time I skip reading those threads, because of the list aspect. Occasionally I contribute, but feel as if it doesn't really generate any discussion. (And, of course, it's not like I contribute to the discussion by just posting a list.)
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 04:49:39 AM »
But I like random lists. Particularly in post-it note form.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 04:53:52 AM »
I'd also agree. I think pointles sthreads, like lists, should be restricted to the rants forum personally, and every other forum should require discussion worthy material. I for one am going to start putting more effort into posts, I belive.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 05:10:06 AM »
I have to agree with 42, I like the lists as just that, lists.  I don't want a paragraph or two one why someone likes a lyric or the Thundercats.  If I, or someone else, realy wants to know then they can ask.  Nor am I going to want to explain why I like something unless I get specific qustions as to why.  I know you're trying to help but I realy don't want or think the forum should be that literary, not all of us care for haveing longwinded debates on such things.  It's one thing if several members want to do it themselfs, its another if the admins start asking or requireing it.  If you create the thread do what I do and make a list of "rules" for that thread.  Then those that want to post there then can.  But if I'm going to have to expound on evey detail of a post then I'm going to stop comming here.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 05:10:14 AM »
It isn't that the threads are pointeless, JP.  It's that people MAKE them pointless by posting short, list-like entries.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 05:27:42 AM »
Yeah, that's what I meant if I didn't make it clear. A topic like "What's playing?" is a very good and discussion worthy topic, but after several pages of random people suggesting random songs, it really doesn't have much of a point.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2004, 09:01:08 PM »
Well, I will have to agree with Spriggin on this one.  If you guys want to explain everything YOU say, be my guest, I will just end up skipping large chunks of it anyway... but unless someone wants to know the 150 million reasons I like cheese I am not going to list them, I am just going to say, "I like cheese" and someone else can list something else they like or dislike or whatever we would be posting about.  There are other topics that are discussion worthy, even if you find the lists horribly boring.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!