Author Topic: Anyone else having trouble finding Warbreaker locally?  (Read 3366 times)

Phaz

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Anyone else having trouble finding Warbreaker locally?
« on: March 31, 2010, 09:11:42 PM »
I've just about given up on local bookstores.  I like to support them, but they never have what I want.

I've been to three places now (2 B&N and a Borders)  looking for the paperback copy of warbreaker and haven't had any luck.  None of them had it.  They weren't sold out, it wasn't in the back, they just didn't get them yet.  I could of ordered one on amazon and had it by now, it's really bad that these places don't.

They at least had a few copies of the Mistborn books (including the paperback sets) and one had 2 copies of the hardcover warbreaker, but the selection was generally quite bland.  I'm pretty sure that with how many of Brandon's books I buy a year I alone would almost be able to cover their quota.

It's getting to the point where I'm just about to stop checking and getting everything from amazon.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else having trouble finding Warbreaker locally?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 10:49:22 PM »
It's strange, because Tor printed a disturbingly large number of copies of the paperback (though this is probably explained by Walmart taking copies). (Check Walmart, by the way.)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Red, White, and Joker

• Level 4
  • Jingle bells, Batman Smells...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 03:30:43 AM »
Yeah, I found it at a Walmart (last Thursday, mind, but not the point)

However, on that note Peter, what is the quantity of this disturbingly large number of copies?
¿snoıɹǝs os ʎɥʍ 'ʎllɐǝɹ 'ou no, really, why so serious?

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 10:19:31 AM »
Yeah, I found it at a Walmart (last Thursday, mind, but not the point)

That KILLS first week sells.  You should have waited!  Not like you haven't already read it. *rolls eyes*
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 10:38:38 AM »
I got it at Barnes and Noble the day before I thought it was supposed to be out. I refuse to set foot inside a Wal-Mart, so was quite happily surprised to see it earlier than I thought in an actual book store.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 10:39:33 AM »
The BYU bookstore has a stack of them on the Permanent Brandon Display towards the front of the Sci-fi/Fantasy section. Say what you will about the selection at the BYU Bookstore, but one thing they always have is Brandon's books. I suppose professors have perks. :P
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 12:12:45 PM »
you can just order them online. with the discounts, the shipping cost adds back to be about what it costs at a bookstore.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 04:51:26 PM »
Miyabi, I'm not sure Walmart is counted by Bookscan anyway. And NYT already fudges their numbers.

guessingo, the idea is to keep local bookstores in business.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 05:07:38 PM »
so new york times uses estimates to get their numbers? can't they just use a service to give them sales?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 05:34:52 PM »
They collect their own numbers from NYT-reporting stores. Then they apply voodoo.

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 06:16:53 PM »
Found it at a B&N. I have yet to find a locally owned/run bookstore in Orange County, Mission Viejo area. Other wise I'd support them like crazy.

On a side note: The prologue was bloody freaking genius, coated with awesome, dipped in chocolate. (it was my first taste of SA so it blew me away) I'm really going to enjoy this series, I can tell.
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

Tynan

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 08:39:12 PM »
I don't know if this helps anyone, but as an employee at Borders, we just got our first copy in yesterday, in paperback, and we only got one copy. If you check Borders, they probably have it now.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 11:03:53 PM »
One copy is bad. Sheesh.

Joshua (Brandon's agent) said on Twitter: Warbreaker @brandonsandrson pb on sale Tuesday. Should be on the "stepladder" right when walk into B&N, and on new pb table at Borders

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 01:00:06 AM »
I haven't seen it around yet, but I think that's because it's yet to be released in New Zealand ;)

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 02:14:59 AM »
Found it at a B&N. I have yet to find a locally owned/run bookstore in Orange County, Mission Viejo area. Other wise I'd support them like crazy.

On a side note: The prologue was bloody freaking genius, coated with awesome, dipped in chocolate. (it was my first taste of SA so it blew me away) I'm really going to enjoy this series, I can tell.

That is the perfect description! I was trying to find a way to tell a friend how freaking awesome the prologue was, and that is definitely the right way.

Also, I haven't seen it at Borders yet. A friend who I've recently converted to Sanderson fandom was there yesterday to pick up a copy of "The Well of Ascension" and he didn't see any. Borders is always behind on these things... at least for books I am interested in. 
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift