Author Topic: Way of Kings-Szeth  (Read 1950 times)

helios1014

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Way of Kings-Szeth
« on: April 01, 2010, 08:16:25 PM »
Szeth-son-son-Vallano, I did not have time to read the paperback past the first paragraph. Does this strange nomenclature get explained becase it is too obvious to be a typo?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Way of Kings-Szeth
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 08:42:47 PM »
It's never explained explicitly, but I think it means Szeth is the son of the son of someone named Vallano.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 08:50:33 PM »
Also (without giving much away) you can extrapolate something about it when you meet characters with similar nomenclature later in the book. It's not a typo.

I kinda like the way it rolls. His name is one of my favorites.

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 08:58:26 PM »
You should have kept reading Helios.  You know how everyone says it's awesome? They're right!  Shardblades and Shardplate and Lashing and Stormlight and Spren and a King and women with one really long sleeve, all in the same prologue!  I sure I had a big goofy grin on my face the entire time I spent reading it.  Epic Win! ;D
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 10:56:16 PM »
The book does have a higher learning curve than Brandon's previous books. There are terms that you have have to just figure out from context. It's not as bad as a Neal Stephenson book though, don't worry about that.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 11:26:02 PM »

I somehow had issues with "Spren" for a few chapters for some reason.  Everything else went well and my second time through I don't know how I didn't figure it out before.  It made me feel quite dumb.  I had just worked an 18 hour shift though. xD
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 09:04:49 AM »
The book does have a higher learning curve than Brandon's previous books. There are terms that you have have to just figure out from context. It's not as bad as a Neal Stephenson book though, don't worry about that.

And thankfully Brandon doesn't infodump the way Stephenson does. I mean, I loves me some Snow Crash, but the whole ten pages on languages as Hiro rides down the highway is kinda ridiculous. Cryptonomicon has a similar infodump on mathematics and cryptography, except that it takes place in the beginning part of the book.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 12:10:57 PM »
my favorite chapter in any book I ever read was the Deliverator.

what a name...

helios1014

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 02:18:22 AM »
Hiro is a pizza delivery boy and somehow I can only think of an ubercompotent version of Fry. On Way of Kings, I do have high hope for this series. Warbreaker is in my stack of books to read and I still have to ingest the Wheel of Time series for enough for me to get to The Gathering Storm, first time reading the series.