Author Topic: Going to the Los Angeles signing on Monday.  (Read 9039 times)

guessingo

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Going to the Los Angeles signing on Monday.
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2010, 03:43:12 PM »
This is not the first time that Wheel of Time has been optioned for a movie. I believe it was optioned in the 1990s and it lapsed. The author still gets paid for the option.

I think Hollywood options alot more books than they actually make and alot of books get optioned multiple times before they are made. I think books getting made into movies get stalled on all kinds of things. Dianna Gabaldon had her books optioned, then the woman who really wanted to make it had a baby and lost interest. Stuff like this happens.

This does not mean Mistborn will never be made into a movie. It just looks unlikely right now. I could not even find a webpage for the company that optioned mistborn. Looks like a small startup.

Does anyone know how the option process works? I think these development companies basically develop a script and a storyboard then try to sell it to a studio. Is that how it works?

Troubadour

• Level 4
  • Fantabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2010, 05:08:43 PM »
I could not even find a webpage for the company that optioned mistborn. Looks like a small startup.
Once more, in BS's words: "They have great staff, they have great funding, they don't have access."

Does anyone know how the option process works? I think these development companies basically develop a script and a storyboard then try to sell it to a studio. Is that how it works?
That's essentially it, unless a studio picks up an option directly (like Dreamworks did with Alcatraz and Universal did with WoT).

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2010, 06:18:15 PM »
I would be willing to bet that the odds of mistborn being a movie will be greater if the last 2 WoT books hit #1 on the NYT(almost a given) and his new Way of Kings book does well.

Maybe Brandon will get lucky. Some hollywood producer is a big WoT fan and they go who is this Sanderson guy? Then they read mistborn, come here and then track downt he guys who optioned his book.

I am not really sure how well Mistborn will tranlsate into a movie. A TV series might be more appropriate, but the only 2 networks that can do this well are HBO and Showtime. Free TV does not do sci-fi like this well at all. There has to be an arc in each episode which does not really translate well.

HBO is doing GRRM. I don't know if they want 2 fantasy series. There big thing is being the historical show network (I like that about them.. the pacific is very good)

Showtime does not do sci-fi anymore. They had a terrific time travel series several years ago that they cancelled mid-season (I cant remember tbename of it)

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2010, 07:05:53 PM »
I would be willing to bet that the odds of mistborn being a movie will be greater if the last 2 WoT books hit #1 on the NYT(almost a given) and his new Way of Kings book does well.

Maybe Brandon will get lucky. Some hollywood producer is a big WoT fan and they go who is this Sanderson guy? Then they read mistborn, come here and then track downt he guys who optioned his book.

I am not really sure how well Mistborn will tranlsate into a movie. A TV series might be more appropriate, but the only 2 networks that can do this well are HBO and Showtime. Free TV does not do sci-fi like this well at all. There has to be an arc in each episode which does not really translate well.

HBO is doing GRRM. I don't know if they want 2 fantasy series. There big thing is being the historical show network (I like that about them.. the pacific is very good)

Showtime does not do sci-fi anymore. They had a terrific time travel series several years ago that they cancelled mid-season (I cant remember tbename of it)

I can actually see Mistborn as a movie rather well. It's The Wheel of Time I think that wouldn't translate well to the big screen. It's far too complex and complicated to fit into 2 hours, possibly even 3. I was thinking a series on HBO or another network like that would work better. A film would have to cut too much to make it into a nice little chunk of movie.

That's not to say it's not possible, just that I can't see how it could work. Plus a trilogy (Mistborn) is a lot easier to manage than a ... um... quattuordecilogy.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2010, 08:29:24 PM »
Heh. I used the word quattuordecillion in my high school graduation speech.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!