Author Topic: Going to the Los Angeles signing on Monday.  (Read 9041 times)

Troubadour

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Fantabulous
    • View Profile
Going to the Los Angeles signing on Monday.
« on: March 18, 2010, 03:10:18 AM »
I'm going to the LA signing on Monday to have my beaten, worn, beloved Elantris and Mistborn paperbacks signed. Any Cosmere/WoK questions you all want me to bring along?

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
Re: Going to the Los Angeles signing on Monday.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 03:39:28 AM »
This particular Mistborn has been really bugging me lately:

"Is the Atium we're familiar really the base metal or an alloy, maybe with Electrum?"

If you could ask that and get a straight answer, that would ROCK.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 06:28:59 AM »
It's most likely the base metal, due to the fact that there's different names for electrum-mistings (oracles) and atium-mistings. (seers) That's certainly not proof, though.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 03:24:10 PM »

Ask what a Lerasium Atium alloy would do.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 04:04:29 PM »
I've been trying to get an answer on a few bizarre Allomantic Savants for a while and I still haven't gotten anything definite.  I might just have to wait and see if I can ask at JordanCon myself, but if you want to spend time on some rather less serious questions:

Assume a mad scientist has access to modern medical technology, an unlimited supply of all allomantic metals, and as many willing mistborn test subjects as he needs, and is absolutely determined that this chart titled "Benefits of Being an Allomantic Savant" must be completed.  What would he determine for the metals listed below?  Alternatively, if Sazed were writing such a table down honestly with his full knowledge granted by possession of two Shards, what would he write?

In approximate order by increasing absurdity:
pewter
gold
electrum
duralumin
chromium
nicrosil
atium
malatium
aluminum
lerasium

For aluminum, the mad scientist pokes a feeding tube down the mistborn's throat and pumps in a constant influx of the metal so that the test subject is able to continuously burn it despite constantly using it up.  If necessary a second tube is used to pump out excess water to prevent damage from an overfilled stomach.

Make sure you get to the last four, and especially the last two, even if you have to skip some of the others to fit them in, and present the solution for how an aluminum savant might be created in the first place.

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 06:50:54 PM »

Go with that one. :)
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

Red, White, and Joker

• Level 4
  • Jingle bells, Batman Smells...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 11:55:24 PM »

Go with that one. :)

I second that.
¿snoıɹǝs os ʎɥʍ 'ʎllɐǝɹ 'ou no, really, why so serious?

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 02:37:32 AM »
It's most likely the base metal, due to the fact that there's different names for electrum-mistings (oracles) and atium-mistings. (seers) That's certainly not proof, though.
I'm not sure what your logic behind this statement is.  Are you saying that because the names for the two misting types are different that they can't be connected?  Well, even if my theory is right, Atium and Electrum would still be two different metals, just put together to get what we've observed.
I think that this would be something that Preservation would want to do.  Raw Atium would be extremely powerful, so he'd want to diminish its power, as well as offering a power that would better fit into his plans.  So he had Ruin's power manifest in a place where it would mingle with an already present metal to dilute its power.
It makes sense in my opinion, but I just need one more proof to make it official, and that's Brandon's confirmation.

I do want to know what a Atium Larasium Alloy would do, though.

And that's simply bizarre, douglas.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 05:52:58 AM »
Well, even if my theory is right, Atium and Electrum would still be two different metals, just put together to get what we've observed.
Atium is just Atium. The Malatium we see at the end of tFE is Atium+Electrum.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 04:30:59 PM »
Malatium is atium+gold.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 09:59:35 PM »
Malatium is atium+gold.
Yeah, so my theory still has a shot!  Though it's not really my theory, it's more of a popular idea that I've kind of adopted, but still, I would like some vindication!

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 02:05:30 AM »

Don't we already know it makes mistings?

I'm not sure what your logic behind this statement is.  Are you saying that because the names for the two misting types are different that they can't be connected?  Well, even if my theory is right, Atium and Electrum would still be two different metals, just put together to get what we've observed.
I think that this would be something that Preservation would want to do.  Raw Atium would be extremely powerful, so he'd want to diminish its power, as well as offering a power that would better fit into his plans.  So he had Ruin's power manifest in a place where it would mingle with an already present metal to dilute its power.
It makes sense in my opinion, but I just need one more proof to make it official, and that's Brandon's confirmation.

I do want to know what a Atium Larasium Alloy would do, though.

And that's simply bizarre, douglas.

I'm saying that in-universe they think they're different things. I did say it's not proof by any means, it's merely the suggestion of an answer.

libraloco

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 04:04:59 AM »
Any Cosmere/WoK questions you all want me to bring along?

Can you ask him if he's planning on doing novellas or short stories based on Roshar like GRRM's Tales of Dunk and Egg or Steven Erikson's Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach? That'd be awesome. Thanks!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 08:29:55 AM »

No.  A Mistborn's descendants become Mistings because the Lerasium becomes diluted.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 08:58:36 AM »

No.  A Mistborn's descendants become Mistings because the Lerasium becomes diluted.

No, that's just how Mistings occur genetically. Lerasium alloyed with any Allomantic metal and burned turns the user into a Misting of that metal. A Lerasium/Atium alloy would create an Atium Misting.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?