Author Topic: Terry Pratchett and Discworld  (Read 9213 times)

Bejay

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Terry Pratchett and Discworld
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2010, 06:45:52 PM »
I too, read all the discworld books, plus the  Bromiliad trilogy, the Carpet people, Nation, the "Johnny" series, Dark Side of the Sun, Strata, the Tiffany spin -off (Crivens!) and of course Good Omens. I can recommend them all without a second thought.
Also, for those of you who like a bit of real science (non fiction) I HIGHLY recommend the "Sience of Discworld"-books. They are brilliant. Imagine the Wizards at UU trying to make sense of our world. (the books are divided into 2 alternating sections, short Discworld paragraphs and true explanations).

The only book from Pratchett that I have yet to read is "The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents" but I'll get to that eventually.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2010, 01:46:31 AM »
Hmm... you might be right.  It seems like I remember the undead magician in Reaper Man meeting Reg Shoe at a bar, but my memory is hazy (it's been like ten+ years).  I know the whole equal rights for undead satire didn't hit the forefront until Men at Arms though.

I've read Reaper Man more times than is really healthy, and what happens is that Windle Poons (said undead wizard) meats Reg Shoe at the fresh start club, which is essentially an undead rights activist club.  It has a menagerie of spoofs of undead stereotypes, like a middle-class shy vampire and a wereman (a wolf which becomes human at full moon.)  Reg is constantly spouting new slogans at the meeting.
Nature hates being reified.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2010, 07:29:46 PM »
Where do unseen academicals and making money fall on this chart? They are knew and don't appear to be on them.

http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/the-discworld-reading-order-guide-1-5.pdf

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2010, 07:46:40 PM »
They're the two most recent, I believe, Unseen Academicals being the latest.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Bejay

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2010, 09:14:26 PM »
That is correct

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2010, 09:20:10 PM »
Making Money goes after Going Postal.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2010, 05:45:34 AM »
There's this link on Wikipedia which gives a suggested reading of the Discworld books by arc. Of the Discworld books, I've only read (some of) the City Watch series and the Moist von Lipwig series. I think they're awesome; I've heard that many of the other books aren't as great.

Also, Nation is not a Discworld novel, but it's fantastic nonetheless.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2010, 01:42:24 PM »
I am going to start with Going Postal. Alot of people seem to like Moist von Lipwig. My public library has several discworld books on audio, but not all of them.

Dragon Shard

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2011, 04:16:02 PM »
You should start with the rincewind books, then read mort, hogfather, making money, going postal, guards guards, etc..

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2011, 10:27:34 PM »
Don't start with the Rincewind books. He is the least interesting character in the series. Only the luggage and the librarian are interesting around him.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!