Author Topic: Terry Pratchett and Discworld  (Read 10189 times)

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
Re: Terry Pratchett and Discworld
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 06:58:11 AM »
The thing to do with Pratchett is to fall in love with the books first, which is why most people recommend starting with the Night Watch books since they are the most easily accessible.  Once you love Pratchett, you can read some of his older stuff and still get a kick out of it.  If you start on it, well, it's harder to swallow and you might get turned off.

That's a very good point. I started with The Colour of Magic and honestly had to struggle a bit to get through the first half. The same with The Light Fantastic. I have a thing about reading books in order, even if the stories aren't completely sequential (for which, in Discworld, the only truly sequential stories are The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic; technically, the Night Watch books, the Granny Weatherwax books, etc follow each other, but it's not completely necessary to read them in order).

If it were me, I'd start with Night Watch or Going Postal.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 10:01:42 AM »
I'm pretty sure that's Reg Shoe, the zombie watchman. Don't remember what book though.

Good point about Interesting Times. It's definitely the best Rincewind book.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 02:18:35 PM »
I like the Rincewind books...

Me too. Rincewind is essentially my favorite character from discworld. I just love the cowardly protagonist.

Don't get me wrong - I don't dislike the Rincewind books. They're just my least favorite in the series.

If we're picking favorites, mine is Vimes. Weatherwax is a close second.

Man, i love Weatherwax, too. She's easily my second favorite. Mostly because she's a stubborn ol' coot.

Also: I always thought that Cohen and Granny weatherwax should get together. Make for some interesting exchanges. To my knowledge (at least in what i've read. I haven't read all of discworld, though i should really get around to it) they haven't met.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 02:21:21 PM by Eerongal »
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 04:15:09 PM »
have you guys read all of the 30+ discworld books? That is a major committment to one author.

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 05:23:13 PM »
Yes, it is Reg Shoe, and the book it is themed from is Men at Arms, although the scene is not described exactly.  That's when Vimes starts letting the Undead into the Watch.

And yes, I have read all 30+ Pratchett books, although I haven't gotten a hold of his newest few books (been busy and/or poor).  It's not so much a commitment to one author as it is just freaking fun to read what he writes.  Say it's a commitment makes it sound like a chore, and it is anything but.  He's one of those authors who I eventually want to collect so that I have everything he's ever written.

Also, if you get the chance, pick up his Bromiliad trilogy, Truckers, Diggers, and Wings.  They are some of the best books I've ever read.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 05:25:52 PM by Recovering_Cynic »
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 07:04:15 PM »
Yes, it is Reg Shoe, and the book it is themed from is Men at Arms, although the scene is not described exactly.  That's when Vimes starts letting the Undead into the Watch.

And yes, I have read all 30+ Pratchett books, although I haven't gotten a hold of his newest few books (been busy and/or poor).  It's not so much a commitment to one author as it is just freaking fun to read what he writes.  Say it's a commitment makes it sound like a chore, and it is anything but.  He's one of those authors who I eventually want to collect so that I have everything he's ever written.

Also, if you get the chance, pick up his Bromiliad trilogy, Truckers, Diggers, and Wings.  They are some of the best books I've ever read.

Also, discworld novels aren't too terribly long. Because of just that, i would rate the commitment behind reading all the discworld novels roughly similar to reading something like all of the wheel of time books, where the books are huge and there's quite a number of them (but not as many as discworld).

Also: I highly recommend checking out good omens, something pratchett wrote with neil gaiman.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 07:50:38 PM »
I have never read Neil Gaiman. The subjects of his books don't really appeal to me(and I don't like Young Adult books.. I know all of his books are not Y/A). I may check out good Omens.

@Cynic: Pratchetts books should all be in the library. You don't have to buy them.

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 08:52:27 PM »
I know I don't have to buy them.  I want to buy them.  And I also live on the Mexican border in the very darkest pit of Texas, so it takes them awhile to update their fiction section.
~T.S. Eliot

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 09:17:02 PM »
I haven't read all of Pratchett's stuff, but I want to. I second the recommendation for Good Omens.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2010, 11:03:37 PM »
Thirded. Good Omens was actually the first Pratchett book I read, and moving on to his other work, I was afraid that it wouldn't be close enough to his collaborative effort. :P
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2010, 11:39:33 PM »
Thirded. Good Omens was actually the first Pratchett book I read, and moving on to his other work, I was afraid that it wouldn't be close enough to his collaborative effort. :P

That's how I got into Pratchett work as well. Good Omens, then the Discworld novels.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2010, 02:27:30 PM »
I actually didn't read Good Omens until after I had read most of Pratchett's other stuff, but I will have to ditto everyone above and say that it is an awesome place to start.  Keep in mind, though, that it is not part of the Discworld universe.  If anything, you'd have to call it urban fantasy.
~T.S. Eliot

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2010, 05:01:48 PM »
I've read all the Discworld books, and I definitely recommend them, but I wouldn't recommend reading a lot of them in a row.   They need a little space between them.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2010, 05:03:56 PM »

I thought Reg Shoe first appeared in Reaper Man.  I'm certain that's where the slogan in your avatar came from.
Nature hates being reified.

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2010, 05:37:27 PM »
Hmm... you might be right.  It seems like I remember the undead magician in Reaper Man meeting Reg Shoe at a bar, but my memory is hazy (it's been like ten+ years).  I know the whole equal rights for undead satire didn't hit the forefront until Men at Arms though.
~T.S. Eliot