Author Topic: Terry Pratchett and Discworld  (Read 9212 times)

guessingo

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Terry Pratchett and Discworld
« on: March 14, 2010, 04:09:47 PM »
I want to try these out, but there are so many of them. Which 4-5 would you recommend? It appears that Color of Magic is his first, but I read somewhere that it is not one of the best ones. When someone has 30+ books, especially in one setting, there are probably books that are better than others.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
Re: Terry Pratchett and Discworld
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 09:47:42 PM »
My favourites are the Moist von Lipwig novels, of which there are currently two: Going Postal and Making Money. Read Going Postal before Making Money, though. The Truth is another favourite of mine. Guards! Guards! is great too, and gives a nice introduction to the Civil Watch characters, who are some of my favourites.

It's hard to pick a fifth one, as there are so many good novels of Discworld. The above cover the two Moist von Lipwig books, an individual novel, and a Civil Wacth novel. I can't decide to recommend a Rincewind novel, a Granny Weatherwax novel, a Death book, or Tiffany Aching...
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 10:41:03 PM »
Pratchett is one of my all time favorites, and if I were going to list a few that are easy to get into:

Guards! Guards!
Men at Arms
Small Gods
Lords and Ladies
Interesting Times

Now, the above books are out of order (except for Guards! Guards! and Men at Arms; they are books one and two of the night watch series.  Also, Small Gods is a stand-alone.), but that doesn't really matter.  They are all highly entertaining on their own, and you won't be too lost.

The thing about Pratchett, though, is you have to give him 100 pages.  The stories read fast, and some pick up faster than others, but after a 100 pages in, you will love the story.  He does a lot of set up in the beginning, but it all pays off marvelously.  Of the above books, Guards!  Guards! and Small Gods are probably the two most difficult to get into, but they are also two of my all time favorites, so I feel they are worth the read.  I can remember that in both books (heck, in pretty much every Pratchett book), I would reach a point where I'd have to put the book down and walk out of the room because I was laughing so hard that I was near hyperventilation. 

He is very much worth your time.
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 11:21:16 PM »
I know there was a dark period where Pratchett wasn't putting out very high-quality stuff. It was thankfully short. It's true that some are better than others, but the worst are usually merely good instead of his usual phenomenal. The only Discworld book (that I've read) that I recommend skipping is (Faust) Eric. When I got through with that one, I put it down and thought, "That...actually wasn't very good. How unlike you, Terry!"

In the first couple books Pratchett was still finding his voice. However, they explain details of the world in more, well, detail than you get from other books, so they're worth reading if only for that.

This reading guide may help. Read them all. I need to read them again; my main problem is that I've read so many that I don't rightly remember which I've read and which I've not.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 01:20:02 PM »
Thanks. That link is very helpful. It looks like Color of Magic was made into a TV movie in England. It is availabe on netflicks. I might check it out. I was going to start with the Color of Magic since it was the first one until I read somewhere that it is not as good as some of the others.

I am going to listen to these on audiobooks. My library has alot of them on audiobooks.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 11:55:34 PM »
I know there was a dark period where Pratchett wasn't putting out very high-quality stuff. It was thankfully short. It's true that some are better than others, but the worst are usually merely good instead of his usual phenomenal. The only Discworld book (that I've read) that I recommend skipping is (Faust) Eric. When I got through with that one, I put it down and thought, "That...actually wasn't very good. How unlike you, Terry!"

I think "Eric" was supposed to be an illustrated novel, a la "The Last Hero," which probably explains why it is so different (and short).  It would probably have been seriously better with illustrations.  Also, I found it's tone to be very similar to the earlier Rincewind novels, although there are some pretty gaping plot holes.
Nature hates being reified.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 12:14:16 AM »
Faust Eric is an illustrated novel, though it was later reissued as a paperback with no illustrations. It's one of the books I haven't read, but when I do I plan to read the illustrated version.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 12:55:11 AM »
so the rinceworld novels are not as good? I see multiple recommendations for the Watch Novels.

ryos

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 12:58:37 AM »
Rincewind is in the worst Discworld books. That said, some of them are pretty good, and keep in mind that the "worst" for Discworld still means "pretty good" most of the time.

Also, everything involving wizards in the other books is a lot funnier if you get the background on Unseen University from the Rincewind books.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 01:51:02 AM »
I like the Rincewind books...
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 02:12:27 AM »
I think they're a bit like Kibo's Spot stories. If you aren't in the mood for a loud, annoying main character, you should read something else. At the right time, they're hilarious.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 04:08:29 AM »

Me too. Rincewind is essentially my favorite character from discworld. I just love the cowardly protagonist.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

ryos

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 04:15:03 AM »

Me too. Rincewind is essentially my favorite character from discworld. I just love the cowardly protagonist.

Don't get me wrong - I don't dislike the Rincewind books. They're just my least favorite in the series.

If we're picking favorites, mine is Vimes. Weatherwax is a close second.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 04:19:00 AM »

Don't get me wrong - I don't dislike the Rincewind books. They're just my least favorite in the series.

If we're picking favorites, mine is Vimes. Weatherwax is a close second.

Moist von Lipwig is my favourite, even thought he's only been in two books so far. I have a fondness for con artists, plus he always has such interesting supporting cast.

Rincewind is my second favourite, followed closely by Vimes and the Patrician and Death in a tie for third. I have a hard time getting into the Granny Weatherwax books. Her character just doesn't appeal to me as much as the aforementioned. I don't dislike her, and I love the books she's in, just the character herself isn't my favourite.

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 06:50:50 AM »
If you're going to read the Rincewind books, don't start at the beginning.  Start with Interesting Times.  It's awesome, and you can go back and get the back-story later.  You won't miss it. 

The thing to do with Pratchett is to fall in love with the books first, which is why most people recommend starting with the Night Watch books since they are the most easily accessible.  Once you love Pratchett, you can read some of his older stuff and still get a kick out of it.  If you start with the older stuff, well, it's harder to swallow and you might get turned off of Pratchett, which would be tragic because he is the awesome.

Also, if you are a true Pratchett fan, you will realize that my avatar originates from the series.  + 10 points to the person who can name the character/book :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 06:53:40 AM by Recovering_Cynic »
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot