Author Topic: Alice in Wonderland ::Maybe Spoilers::  (Read 3275 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Alice in Wonderland ::Maybe Spoilers::
« on: March 05, 2010, 02:37:38 PM »

OK so I personally loved the movie.  A lot of my friends however - who claim to be huge Burton fans - complained about the ending being lame.

I watched it in IMAX, it was a four hour drive both ways, but we got the midnight release in IMAX. ha ha.  The plotting was brilliant for a sequel. =]

Honestly . . . don't claim to be a Burton fan, then complain about a classic Burton ending.  Sheesh.

What did you guys think of it?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

clarissavandell

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Alice in Wonderland ::Maybe Spoilers::
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 01:38:24 AM »
I went with a friend, and we both wore lame costumes for fun.  I looked more like Dorothy in Wizard of Oz than Alice, however.

Aside from that, I found it a fun movie.  The heads floating in the moat were a nice, Burton-esque touch, I think.  I agree, it fit with the traditional story, and I felt like it kind of completed the story.  We never DID find out how Alice got to be in Wonderland in the first place; what made her so special?  How did she end up in Wonderland/Underland when no other children did?

And I like Johnny Depp as the Hatter... the dance at the end was a bit pointless, but I think he did a pretty good job at his character.  And the quote about the best people being mad... I liked that.

Jexral

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Blog!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 10:12:33 PM »
Hmm... I really like most films by Burton, but hated this one, largely because of the end.  It wasn't, as you say, a "classic Burton ending."  He abandoned the characters in lieu of a relatively uninteresting and unbelievable action sequence.  Look at Big Fish or Corpse Bride.  Sure, they get more exciting at the climax, but he doesn't obliterate all the interesting things about the characters, and make them mindlessly fight.

I dunno.  The only one of his films I liked worse than this one was Sweeny Todd, though, I'm really not sure why I didn't like that movie. 
Truth is treason in the empire of lies.

clarissavandell

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 03:11:29 AM »
When you say mindless... Well, that's a bit of the point to the Alice in Wonderland story, isn't it?  I don't know, perhaps I'm just trying to justify the fact I liked the movie...  But the ending did lack something for me.

I thought it was the stupid dance, personally.

And I don't think they 'mindlessly' fought.  They're fighting for the crown to be liberated from an usurping, tyrannous queen. 

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 06:51:06 AM »

For me everything fit and made sense.  The ending seemed perfect.  Each side fought for their leader and the good guys won.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 05:07:24 PM »
Did anyone like the dance? Anyone?  I thought it was ghastly, but it wasn't enough to ruin the movie for me. The only thing that really bugged me about the end was the whole "Alice becoming a businesswoman" which seemed wrong for the time period.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 05:27:36 PM »
Did anyone like the dance? Anyone?  I thought it was ghastly, but it wasn't enough to ruin the movie for me. The only thing that really bugged me about the end was the whole "Alice becoming a businesswoman" which seemed wrong for the time period.

Yeah, i didnt much care for it. Mostly because it was hyped up during the film, and felt weak when shown.

All in all, though, i was decently pleased with the film.

The only thing that really irked me about it was the fact that it was sort of a mash-up of alice in wonderland and through the looking glass, and not actually just alice in wonderland.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 07:16:40 AM »
What I didn't like about the ending was how epic it was.  Alice in wonderland has always seemed more silly to me, slightly mysterious, and hey, the creepiness worked brilliantly.  Wonderland can even be scary at times, but epic?  It just didn't seem to fit, her donning armor and slaying a dragon.  Also the absence of the momeraths was noted.
Also Johnny Depp's performance disappointed me.  I know he can't help it, but he just did the things he does when he plays a crazy role, I thought he did a far better job with willy wonka, but maybe my expecatations are just to high of him now.

All in all, I LOVED the movie though.  I thought it was great, and the Chesire (sp?) Cat was absolutely marvelous!  he really made the show for me.  Favorite character definately, with the red Queen in second, and Anne Hathaway as the white Queen in third (the potion making scene was priceless!).  Also liked absolum the caterpillar.  I also thought the whole story (aside from the ending) was really quite well imagined: the conflict between the sisters was well imagined, and where all the characters fit in was kind of cool. 
I give it a thumbs up anyways.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

DeathBite

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 09:11:40 AM »
This movie was seriously over exaggerated my side. The previews starting coming like 2 months before hand, and I didn't even get a chance to see it on the big screen when it did come out though I agonized over this as everyone told me it was amazing.

Now I just watched it last week, and I wanted to cry! That ending was hideous. The rest of the film was decent, it had the usual crazy colours and amazing things associated with Burton that we all love, but the ending... It was too rushed for one thing, a bit like "No i can't stay in paradise, I have to go back to the real world and start a buisness." Her actions when she got back, didn't really reflect any resolutions she may have made while in 'Underland'.

I also disliked Mia Wasikowska's acting.  :|
My peace is gone,
My heart is heavy,
I will find it never
and never more.     - Goethe

MaeLavanya

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Adonalsium.net
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 11:10:06 AM »
I am a huge Burton fan, but I didn't like Alice in Wonderland that much - I liked it, but I usually like Burton movies way better. I have to say it wasn't really the ending that bothered me, but the entire movie :p.

I thought Johnny Depp was actually very weak in his role  I've never said that before :(. Maybe it's because the Mad Hatter... Didn't really add to the movie.  To me it doesn't feel like he should've had such a big role in it.
I also thought that at many points the movie was slow and that there were quite a couple of redundant scenes (for instant, where the Red Queen is talking with Stayne and the Rabbit is stealing back the scroll - it took way too long in my opinion, and it didn't seem as important for it to be so long).
Also, I found that the Jabberwocky was a bit too easily slayed >_>

There were parts I really liked as well. I loved the CGI. It was brilliant - especially all the animals. I loved the Red Queen (I just can't not love HBC). And even though I thought the White Queen was... awkward and I don't like Anne Hathaway and I liked her even less in this role, I thought she as the Queen fitted very well in the movie.
I adored the music. And the directing, of course. I loved the darkness of the world, too. I loved Mia Wasikowska as Alice.
I loved Tweedledee and Tweedledum, though I do think it was a bit disturbing that they had the face Matt Lucas (Little Britain) as I find him rather freaky.

::)
You know you want to join us at Adonalsium.net!

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 06:06:22 AM »
I  also thought Depp didn't live up to expectations.  He was a little zany and a little crazy, but we've already seen him do that.  This is the MAD Hatter, and I assumed he was going to pull out all of the stops.  But I don't think he did.  I think he could have taken the character a lot farther.  Also, it seemd like Burton made too much a big deal out of the character just because Depp was playing him.

The ending was... bad.  He tried to make it all epic, but Alice in Wonderland isn't really that type of story.

That said, my earlier comments still stand.  I really did love this movie, a lot.  It was not without these criticisms however.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier