Author Topic: Way of Kings Cover Art  (Read 17694 times)

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Way of Kings Cover Art
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2010, 06:28:14 PM »
I've never read it, but I think the cover looks awesome.  Maybe I just don't spend enough time in the fantasy section...
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2010, 08:34:23 PM »
Most of the posts on Tor.com are from people who haven't read the book, and most seem to like it. However, some do say what you said, Shivertongue.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2010, 06:32:22 AM »
Most of the posts on Tor.com are from people who haven't read the book, and most seem to like it. However, some do say what you said, Shivertongue.

Yeah, I've been paging through those comments and saw them. I seem to be in the minority on this, though, and will have to resign myself to being one of those who is far from impressed with the cover. Won't be the first time, and I doubt it will be the last.

And even if I had never heard of Brandon Sanderson, I'm willing to bet I'd still pick up the book, although I would likely wait for the paperback to come out in that situation (I'm planning to buy the hardcover, 'cause this looks like a series I want in hardcover). The series title 'Stormlight Archive' is intriguing enough that I know this hypothetical me would stop for a closer look, and I always read the inside jacket no matter what the book is. The hypothetical me would find what's in there - assuming it contains what little I already know about the book - intriguing enough to want to read it.

Again, hough, the hypothetical me would wait for the paperback. I'm not the hypothetical me, and despite my dislike of the cover, I'm buying it in hardcover.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

mack

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2010, 09:09:03 PM »
Wow Mr. Sanderson. Great pick you and yours made to pick the best artist for a great cover. I find it hard to believe that people are so critical of it... the scope of the picture with the funnel storm clouds is great. I can't wait for the series and know that it will be great.

Once again I just want to say your a great author not only because I love the Wheel of Time but also for the other great books you have written. Your magic systems are amazing and creative. Hopefully you will continue to write great books for us your fans but most importantly for yourself.  :)

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2010, 09:29:35 PM »

=/ I personally don't like the cover at all. It looks too much like every other novel in the Fantasy section of book stores; the thing that made me not balk at reading Mistborn, Elantris, and Warbreaker were their unique covers. Fantasy books always have this cover that makes me feel like they're cranked out of a factory of lifeless writers and artists.

:[ Even with BS's name in giant letters, it doesnt feel like a BS book. Alas, I'm still going to have to buy it though, because I know the content is what really matters. It's just going to be hard to look at that cover. (Wow, I sound overly critical >< sorry!)

HE KNOWS ABOUT THE FACTORY! SEND OUT THE TERMINAL DRONES!!

You're right to focus on the content of the book rather than the cover. It's anything but generic, I think.

I however agree with you that generally I like awesome pictures, but this one is very very good.  It fits the story extremely well.  Though I wonder why this character is on the cover.  Many others would have been preferable in my opinion.

You know, funny you should mention it, but I didn't really associate the characters on the cover with anyone in the book (though I know who they may be meant to represent). Without discussing details (I think we can do that), if the man in armor is meant to be D___ , then I think the color of his armor is wrong, and his sword is not quite right either. Some of this may be up to interpretation, but I just considered the character on the cover to be representative of his "type". It's more an image designed to bring several of the more unique details of the world into one picture (the armor, the weapons, the Plains, the plants, the storms).

Funny enough, while on first glance I see how people consider this cover "generic" (ooh, guy in armor with a sword, that's new), I think people are missing out on the details in that cover that will only become apparent once they've read the text. They might appreciate Whelan's work more, then.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2010, 10:42:08 PM »
Whelan posted on Facebook that he goofed and made the cape the wrong color. So it is supposed to be Dalinar. But the current color works really well in the composition.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2010, 11:22:38 PM »
Whelan posted on Facebook that he goofed and made the cape the wrong color. So it is supposed to be Dalinar. But the current color works really well in the composition.

Everybody gets one I guess. Mistake that is.
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2010, 12:04:51 AM »
Funny enough, while on first glance I see how people consider this cover "generic" (ooh, guy in armor with a sword, that's new), I think people are missing out on the details in that cover that will only become apparent once they've read the text. They might appreciate Whelan's work more, then.

It's not a lack of appreciation for Whelan's work. The artistry is fantastic, and in some instances utterly gorgeous.

The problem, going back to the details on the cover, is that most of us do not know these details. From an outsiders standpoint, there is nothing special about the cover, and whatever details these are are lost upon us. It comes across as 'guy in armour with a sword' because that's what it looks like.  If what makes it special is in the story itself, that's not good enough - there should be something on the cover to indicate that the story within is something special, something you haven't seen before.

You look at the cover and see stuff you recognize, and that excites you - you're able to connect the cover with what you have read/had read to you of the book. I'm unable to make that connection. These details are utterly lost upon me. On Writing Excuses they often talk about how writing is about making promises to the reader. The cover is the first promise made - one that, admittedly, the author has little to no control over in most cases - a promise of what kind of book you can expect if you read this. This cover, going with almost no foreknowledge of the story, tells me it's going to be generic epic fantasy. The author's name belies this a bit, as I know Brandon Sanderson writes anything but generic epic fantasy, but it doesn't wash away the notion.

I'd prefer it if the details from the story you people keep mentioning were made more obvious, so that while I still wouldn't know what they were about, I'd become intrigued enough to WANT to know what they're about. I know I'm repeating myself, but the statement still holds true: I don't know what the story inside is. The cover should give me some idea, but the idea it gives me is 'generic epic fantasy - little to nothing new here'.

In all honesty, based on this cover, I wouldn't be surprised to find elves in the book.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2010, 11:38:17 AM »

I like the cape, especially the heraldry.

I was thinking more that the armor looked too bronze or golden, and ornate, for Dalinar. Though the color is possibly more a factor of the lighting, when I look at it again, and the cape covers up much of the body so it's difficult to see how the armor really looks. The sword is also different from the text description in a couple significant ways.

It does such a great job of evoking the setting that it doesn't bother me a bit if it's not of a particular character.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 12:11:35 PM by Inkthinker »

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2010, 04:56:10 AM »
I think it looks pretty sweet.  I can see where the artwork could be considered pretty generic, but this is sort of the epitome of such covers, superseding other, similar pieces.  That sheer quality will probably be enough to make this stand out from a gaggle of similar covers, cuz its just so cool.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2010, 01:39:41 PM »

I however agree with you that generally I like awesome pictures, but this one is very very good.  It fits the story extremely well.  Though I wonder why this character is on the cover.  Many others would have been preferable in my opinion.

You know, funny you should mention it, but I didn't really associate the characters on the cover with anyone in the book (though I know who they may be meant to represent). Without discussing details (I think we can do that), if the man in armor is meant to be D___ , then I think the color of his armor is wrong, and his sword is not quite right either. Some of this may be up to interpretation, but I just considered the character on the cover to be representative of his "type". It's more an image designed to bring several of the more unique details of the world into one picture (the armor, the weapons, the Plains, the plants, the storms).

Nah, cause his cape is blue.  It looks like E______ to me.  Gold armor.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2010, 10:14:59 PM »
I could buy that. I don't recall the description of his blade, offhand.

But like I say, does it matter if the cover isn't of a particular person or moment in the text? I'd rather it be content that fits the material without nailing down anything than to have it try and nail down something and be wrong.

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2010, 10:31:16 PM »
I could buy that. I don't recall the description of his blade, offhand.

But like I say, does it matter if the cover isn't of a particular person or moment in the text? I'd rather it be content that fits the material without nailing down anything than to have it try and nail down something and be wrong.

Is there a reason we can't have both? From first glance it needs to be a cover that draws in the average fantasy section browser so that it gets picked up and looked at. It doesn't need to MEAN anything to them, but it does have to be interesting enough to keep their attention. But once the book has been read and enjoyed, looking back at the cover and BOOM, new understanding of the cover.

I really have NO CLUE what will be going on in this book and I like it that way. I haven't really gone looking for any information. So this cover, means very little to me, except for the storm itself. Once I read the book, i'll look back on it and hopefully go... wow, that's a greater cover then I thought.

I love the cover, that's how I'ma finish this rant. :D
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2010, 10:34:56 PM »

Nah, cause his cape is blue.  It looks like E______ to me.  Gold armor.

Clearly this means Eerongal, because i'm that awesome.

(also: i would be sad if an author ganked my name for their book :( Would make me less unique)
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2010, 08:13:14 PM »
How have you gotten on the reading list?   And how can I join?  August 17 is just not going to come soon enought for me!
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier