Author Topic: Way of Kings Cover Art  (Read 17643 times)

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 0
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
Re: Way of Kings Cover Art
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 05:31:34 PM »
honestly, i think the cover is uninspiring and plain. Now, maybe the whole wrap around thing is better, i dunno, haven't seen it, but just the front cover is boring, there isn't enough to it to make it unique.

not that it matters, though, i always take the book covers off of my books as soon as i own them. i HATE bookcovers, and i generally get hardback books.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 05:52:45 PM »
When I first saw the cover I had to get over myself freaking at the fact that this was the cover of Way of Kings before I could really SEE it.  At first glance it looks like "just another epic fantasy cover" but it's really growing on me I enjoy it a lot.  Can't wait to read it and stare at it once I buy it.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 08:34:51 PM »
What do you guys think about the size of Brandon's name in that layout? I know Marketing 101 says it's his name that sells more than the title or the cover, but does it need to be THAT huge? Would it not work just as well at 80% of that size, allowing the title to rise and cease obscuring the sword and flag so much?

The wraparound is going to make a beautiful poster someday, I bet.

I agree with you, Ink.  I think the size of the name is overkill.    The sky/storm is a big feature of the art, yet it won't be seen at all, front or back (the back will be obscured by random bits of praise of brandon's work).  So, with the name left this way, we are left with a painting of a dude...holding a sword.  They may as well just do a solid monochrome cover with Brandon's name on it a little bigger (yes, i'm exaggerating).  And really, imagine how this will be in mass market paperback: absurdly cramped, and even more obscured.

The painting/art itself is fine--not awe-inspiring, but fine.  Yeah it will make a good poster without all of the typography on it, but how does that help the novel sell?  Right now, the cover says, "I'm a traditional epic fantasy."  The stationary man holding a sword says, "There isn't much movement in this novel," or "The pacing of this novel is typical epic fantasy: slow. "  I'm not speaking of the quality of the art (it's pretty, and far better than most can do, and eons better than D.K. Sweet), but of the feelings the cover may tend to evoke in the casual fantasy reader.  I understand that people are excited that this is a Whelan cover (and it IS a big deal in several important regards), but I personally don't feel this cover is striking enough.  I also (having read the novel) don't think it adds to the total quality of the presentation of Brandon's excellent work.  I think WAY OF KINGS deserves higher quality art and cover design.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 08:42:03 PM »

Yes Ink, I think shrinking it a bit to get at least the whole sword on there would be good.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 08:45:18 PM »
Atleast the art is better than the art on Baen Books. There covers are terrible. Makes the books look B grade.

When will there be a blurb or something giving an idea of what the book is about?

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 08:51:34 PM »
Atleast the art is better than the art on Baen Books. There covers are terrible. Makes the books look B grade.

When will there be a blurb or something giving an idea of what the book is about?

Baen goes for that kind of look.  It works well for them.

As for what Way of Kings is about?  Brandon has been talking about that for a while.  I'm pretty sure people have been linking all over the place here.  Someone help this guy out, as that would take my time away from my spreadsheets at work.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2010, 08:55:03 PM »

Here's a little.  NOTE:  Merrin's name has been changed to (not sure if I'm allowed to say, Peter?)

Here's some more info.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2010, 09:36:13 PM »
I'd like to throw my two cents in and say I agree that EUOL's name could stand to be smaller.  However, I freaking love the cover.  I mean, yes, it does look like a classic high fantasy novel, but at the same time it just. . . um, yeah.  It's awesome.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2010, 10:01:41 PM »
Yeah, Merin's name changed to Kaladin. The new marketing copy is up over at http://www.facebook.com/TheStormlightArchive

Oh, never mind, no it's not. It's here: http://us.macmillan.com/thewayofkings
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 10:03:48 PM by Peter Ahlstrom »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Pogi Dave

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2010, 10:57:15 PM »
I didn't even notice how big his name was until I read firstRainbowRoses post.

It has to be big....your eyes are immediate drawn to the figure below the Title....excellent cover.

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2010, 12:05:04 AM »
I do have to agree with all of youthat the name could be made a tad bit smaller but overall I think the cover is amazing even if the "Shardblade" is covered slightly.

Liam

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2010, 02:12:38 AM »
Quote from: Eerongal link=topic=7469.msg164643#msg164643
date=1267633894
not that it matters, though, i always take the book covers off of my books as soon as i own them. i HATE bookcovers, and i generally get hardback books.
I aways take the covers off.  I think the books look more sophisticated with a plain cover with the name and author on the spine.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2010, 03:58:22 AM »
I do feel like there's some awesome action moments that might have made a better cover. It's not a slow-paced book by any means.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 04:06:18 AM by Inkthinker »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2010, 04:20:30 AM »
I hope some foreign covers have a bridge crew on them.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2010, 04:24:39 AM »
I hope some foreign covers have a bridge crew on them.

That would be really cool.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。