Author Topic: French Book Names?  (Read 2506 times)

AllWrong

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
French Book Names?
« on: February 24, 2010, 09:43:16 AM »
So, I met this really hot woman on the bus.  I started talking to her, and it seems we have fantasy books in common.  I asked if she had ever heard of BS.  She hadn't.  She had heard of the WoT series, and was thinking of reading it.  I explained who he was in relation to those books.  Then told her about the Mistborn trilogy.

This morning, I gave her my copy of The Final Empire.  She said she would be going back home (to France) soon, so I told her to keep the book.  She wanted to know what the names of the books were in French, so she could pick up the rest of them.

Can anyone help me out with this?  Hot French woman needs the French names of BS books, and I want to provide them.  Maybe I can get in a couple of dates before she leaves the country.  Hehe.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
Re: French Book Names?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 10:23:57 AM »
I'm pretty sure the titles remain the same. There's no way to properly translate 'Mistborn' unless you did it as two separate words, brouillard and né, which don't make much sense when put together. The subtitle of the first MIGHT be seen as L'Empire Final, but again, I think the titles remain in the original written language. Don't quote me on that, as I don't know for certain how these things work.

Also, if you do get a date, sweet talk her with this:

"Tu as le joli visage d'un poisson rouge blessé."

Do quote me on that. Works every time. Serious.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

badwolf59

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 12:45:11 PM »
Hi,
The Mistborn trilogy doesn't exist in French, but the books are easy to find on commercial websites (like amazon.fr )

By the way, I love your French, Shivertongue ! ;)

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 02:32:18 AM »
...your face looks like a bleeding red fish?

Shivertongue

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 02:40:15 AM »
...your face looks like a bleeding red fish?

XD Not quite. "You have the lovely face of a wounded goldfish," is a more accurate translation. "Hurt goldfish" works too.

I was actually hoping he'd come back with a story of how he'd said that, and how he found out it wasn't something one would use to sweet-talk any woman. If he'd actually tried it, it would seriously have made my month.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

AllWrong

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 07:50:09 AM »
Yeah, that wouldn't have worked.  The first thing I did was ask around for someone that spoke French so they could tell me how to PRONOUNCE it.  Then, I asked what it meant.  When they laughed and walked away without answering, I figured it wasn't something I wanted to say.

Thanks. :D

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 02:46:30 AM »
You are a mean man, Shivertongue. ;)

I couldn't find the french titles easily. May still be worthcoming, or may just be "Mistborn".

gapan

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 04:37:34 PM »
The french title will be "l'Empire Ultime" for the first book and Fils-des-brumes for the serie.
You can find a news about it here :
http://www.orbitbooks.fr/video/laempire-ultime-en-video

The first tome will be released the 17 March in France.
But if she can read english, I advise her to buy the english book (Probably less expensive and she won't have to wait for the book 2 and 3).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 04:39:18 PM by gapan »

Shivertongue

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 12:43:13 AM »
The french title will be "l'Empire Ultime" for the first book and Fils-des-brumes for the serie.

Sons of Fog: Ultimate Empire?

(direct translation; the wording will likely be seen as pretty much the same as the English version to native French-speakers. If I remember correctly, 'final' and 'ultime' could be considered synonyms, and 'brumes' can mean either mist or fog, depending on the contexts. Keep in mind, though, it's been about six years since I spoke French on a regular basis...)

I suppose that works...

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 10:28:21 AM »
Yeah, ultimate in the sense of final.

AllWrong

• Level 3
    • View Profile