Author Topic: Mistborn Book 1 ebook  (Read 3397 times)

vbfischer242

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Mistborn Book 1 ebook
« on: February 03, 2010, 04:39:57 PM »
I have a Sony eReader and was looking for the Mistborn books in their Reader store. I noticed they had books 2 and 3 available, but don't seem to have book 1 (The Final Empire?).

Anyone know if this is available and I'm just missing it?

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn Book 1 ebook
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 08:52:41 PM »
Final Empire is the first book, other than that i like the feel of a book so i don't have an e-reader.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

adrock25

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 09:37:52 PM »
Strange that it's not up on Sony's store.  You can buy the ePub on Kobo or B&N and load it to your Sony Reader if you'd like

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Mistborn-The-Final-Empire/book-52OOG5eleUKO4gf-IZu5cQ/page1.html

vbfischer242

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 09:59:10 PM »
Adrock, thanks a lot. That's perfect. I had found Fictionwise that had it, but not in epub version. I wasn't sure about B&N as I'd heard that even though its ePub, the DRM was different.

Gunman, A lot of people prefer the feel of a book and I respect that. A while ago, I was not interested in getting an ereader. Went on vacation a few months back, and I packed a bunch of books I was going to read, many of them hardbacks. My wife looked at that and asked if I was seriously going to pack that much. It was awkward at first, getting used to the ereader, but now its nice. I like to read a lunch time, and if I finish one book, I may not know what I want to read next.. Now, I have it loaded up with books "in my queue". Also, and was the biggest reason I got it, is I am a software dev, and have a lot of books I bought as PDFs. I can keep them all on my reader and don't have to be tied to the computer to read them.

Strange that it's not up on Sony's store.  You can buy the ePub on Kobo or B&N and load it to your Sony Reader if you'd like

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Mistborn-The-Final-Empire/book-52OOG5eleUKO4gf-IZu5cQ/page1.html

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 10:04:18 PM »
My father has the kindle 2 and i appropriate it on road trips.

P.S. it's Kaz, the current name is a bad pun for upcoming Valentines
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

vbfischer242

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 10:16:45 PM »
P.S. it's Kaz, the current name is a bad pun for upcoming Valentines

Nice to meet you Kaz! Bryce here.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 10:45:55 PM »
Ah! I have been looking all week for a place that had all of Brandon's books in epub. Kobobooks it is. (Other stores are mysteriously missing one book or another.)

Though of course NONE of the stores have Elantris, something I asked Tor to look into.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 04:20:12 AM »
How the heck is it that EVERY store which sells ebooks doesn't have the full set? It's not like they have to buy stock... it's like shooting themselves in the foot.

For that matter, is anyone selling them as a bundle? Like, if each one is $10, get all three at once for $25?

Seems obvious, but I don't buy ebooks 'cause I haven't found a reader I like (aside from DS using DSLibris, but that's a bit of a patchwork solution), so I haven't been shopping around for them and seen what the stores are like.

This is very confusing to me... why would they only have some books by an author and not others? Especially books that are part of a series?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 07:19:25 AM »
Because ebook stores are, as a rule, for some reason, poorly organized?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 09:38:32 AM »

Someone needs to make an eBook store and when they decide to carry an author buy all their books instead of just a few.

(I do that when I start listening to a new band.  I buy all their CDs so I have all their music.  BUT that's just a me thing.)
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 03:30:24 PM »

Someone needs to make an eBook store and when they decide to carry an author buy all their books instead of just a few.

(I do that when I start listening to a new band.  I buy all their CDs so I have all their music.  BUT that's just a me thing.)

I dunno if I'd go that far.  I can see not wanting to include some of the unpopular stories that even the best authors sometimes churn out.  But in my opinion they should certainly keep single storylines complete.  You'd think that the economics of  ebooks would get rid of stupidity like not having MB1 in stock.
Nature hates being reified.

vbfischer242

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 05:07:24 PM »
[sic] I can see not wanting to include some of the unpopular stories that even the best authors sometimes churn out.  But in my opinion they should certainly keep single storylines complete.  You'd think that the economics of  ebooks would get rid of stupidity like not having MB1 in stock.

Well, its not like a brick and mortar store where shelf space is limited.. Really, the only cost would be storage and bandwidth. Inventory isn't really an issue.

Given that, I'm not sure what kind of licensing an ebookstore has with a publisher to offer their books. Do they have to pay to  have access to certain titles? I wouldn't think so, but I admit I'm ignorant on this topic, so could be completely wrong...

Those books may not even be available from the publisher (although, apparently the Mistborn series is available, but for some reason the Sony store doesn't offer it).

Unlike the digital music industry, which has had many years now to mature some, the eBook business is somewhat new and still growing. You have different DRM methods for different stores, usually locking you into their devices. Even among epub providers, they sometimes don't work (B&N, for example, doesn't appear to work with the Sony Reader). Hopefully, in the future, we'll see if there's some kind of standardization on format and DRM methods...

So much simpler when I preferred paperbacks.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 02:32:49 AM »
I thought licensing fees might have something to do with it, but that doesn't offset the bizarre practice of selling some books in a series and not others. I mean, I'm not much of a businessman, but even I know that ain't right.

RL stores may be forgiven; they have to buy stock and put it on shelves, and if someone else beats you to the book you want, well then that's just the way the poop plops. Hell, I'd say part of the reason that online retailers thrive is that consumers don't have to worry about finding a new series on the shelf, but only being able to buy books 1 and 3 because 2 is out of stock. Happens much less often to Amazon than it does to your local Borders. Or at least it used to do.

As for something not being available as an e-book... really, what the hell? This ain't the turn of the 20th century where we etch plates and set type blocks, dammit! Is there any author today who doesn't type? Even if there were, it has to be transcribed for publishing. I know there's probably some conversion required between a raw manuscript in .doc format and a distributable  .epub or .pdf or whatever, formatting to tweak and errors to watch out for, but shouldn't some of that be done simultaneously with the same work that's required to make the manuscript print-ready?

When Stackpole says publishers are stuck in the last century, he ain't kiddin'.

Nick_Narcotic

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 02:09:24 PM »
I downloaded The Final Empire to my E-Reader, cant remember from where though... Amazon maybe?

drackmire

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 09:44:50 AM »
I know for a fact that amazon.com has all three of the Mistborn books available for the kindle. My kindle should be arriving any day now and the first three I am going to put on there are the Mistborn trilogy. Shamefully, I have only just now found out about Brandon Sanderson. I am reading Warbreaker now and so far I am breezing through it, I'll probably end up getting that for my kindle as well.

As far as other locations to get the books, I'm not sure. I don't know for sure, but you might be able to get the amazon.com ebooks and port them other readers.
Currently Reading: Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson