Author Topic: Sci-Fi authors  (Read 7007 times)

Silk

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
Re: Sci-Fi authors
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 03:01:49 AM »
I've read one of Doctorow's shorts (it was published on Tor.com a while back) but never any of his long stuff. I did enjoy the short story, which I think was called Panopticon. Doctorow has serialized his novel Makers on Tor.com, by the way; it should be free to read.

Hmm... There's also Charlie Stross and John Scalzi. I haven't actually READ these people, by the way,  they're all in the TBR pile.  *

* it is, sadly, only a metaphorical pile.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 07:33:06 PM »
I like the big names of classic Sci-Fi... Heinlein (and i love Stranger and i was born in 1991, it transcends generations... Troopers can't compare with it or Time Enough for Love or The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and all four are Hugo Winners) Larry Niven (wrote Mote in God's Eye and Ringworld), Frank Herbert (Dune), Issac Asimov (Foundation and I-robot), Harlan Ellison (I've only read his short stories but they were superb), the list goes on but you can find all of them pretty easily
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

daranthered

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2010, 01:02:24 AM »
I'm a fairly Old School reader of SF.  As such, one of my favorites is Lester del Ray.  Contemporary with Heinlein, Asimov, Harlan Ellison and the like.  But his work isn't as well known.  his work is full of rocket ships and mysterious planets and generally just great.
dulce et decorum est

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 03:26:29 PM »
Harry Harrison is great if you're into science fiction/satire.  The Adventures of the Stainless Steel Rat was/is awesome.
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 06:21:54 PM »
Harry Harrison is great if you're into science fiction/satire.  The Adventures of the Stainless Steel Rat was/is awesome.

I haven't read those in years. I loved them when I was in high school. They're hilarious.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 07:22:17 PM »
I also loved the Stainless Steel Rat books and haven't read them recently.

They inspired me to learn Esperanto.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2010, 01:38:32 AM »
Ben Bova, Larry Niven, Robert Heinlein and Robert Forward.   These are probably the best over the last 40 years, though Alan Steele is coming along nicely.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 04:58:35 PM »
Wow, I remember Harrisons rat series now! I read them in high school as well. Like, geez, 25 years ago?

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 05:01:46 PM »
Been about 15 years for me since I picked Harrison up.  Some of my fondest book memories come from Slippery Jim DeGriz.  The Stainless Steel Rat rocked.  :)
~T.S. Eliot

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 05:39:06 PM »
Daniel Suarez and Scott Sigler are two really good, relatively new (more so for suarez) sci-fi authors.

Both mostly deal with modern-day sort of sci-fi, and sigler's are more sci-fi/horror, but they're both really good.

I recommend for suarez reading Daemon, and its sequel freedom (these are his only books at the moment, but i LOVED 'em). These books are interesting, it's about a famous genius game programmer who left behind a large series of Daemons (computer scripts set to run when certain events happen), which at first start murdering people, but becomes something much, much larger.

Sigler has more books under his belt, but I highly recommend starting with  Infected and Contagious (he's working on the third book, Pandemic). These are about an alien race infecting humans with a creature, basically using humans as the host to birth it, ultimately killing the individual. I won't reveal WHY they do this, but let you find out yourself.

The best part about Sigler's work, is he offers all his books for free in podcast form, available from his website, or via podiobooks.com. I found him recently and have been utterly DEVOURING his works.

Both of these authors are set in mostly current day (around the 20th/21st century, except for two of sigler's books, which are way in the future), and use believable, but fantastic, technology. I know sigler researches the science aspects of things he wants to have/do before he does them, to make sure he's accurate, even though he's embellishing the science. And Suarez worked in IT, so he has a good grasp on computers.

anywho, [/rant]
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2010, 08:40:35 PM »
I saw Harry Harrison at a panel at Comic-Con a couple years ago. He talked about how he never saw a dime in royalties from Soylent Green because of Hollywood accounting. He also said that the Stainless Steel Rat has been optioned so many times and so long that the first guy he wanted to play Jim was Steve McQueen.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2010, 10:12:40 PM »
Well, they're saying MGM may be retiring James Bond.  Sounds like as good a time as any for a high-tech futuristic replacement. :)
~T.S. Eliot