Author Topic: 2011  (Read 5593 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: 2011
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 05:18:53 AM »

Eragon was a hard book to read, in my opinion. Not comprehension-wise, but because of its wordiness. It read about how my first novel did--poorly.

I am still stuck on the story though.  It's kind of sad to say.  I mean as poorly as he writes he puts together a nice story.  =/

lol

When you think awbout average drafts though you also have to think that there comes a point where if you keep revising it you end up screwing it up by over fixing it.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

libraloco

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 01:38:14 PM »

Eragon was a hard book to read, in my opinion. Not comprehension-wise, but because of its wordiness. It read about how my first novel did--poorly.

I am still stuck on the story though. It's kind of sad to say. I mean as poorly as he writes he puts together a nice story. =/

lol

When you think awbout average drafts though you also have to think that there comes a point where if you keep revising it you end up screwing it up by over fixing it.

Yeah. I'll keep reading them to find out what happens, but there are some sections that are just too...much. And I agree--there does come a point where you end up just mutilating your work instead of fixing it.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 03:45:48 PM »

I'm determined to believe some authors throw a bunch of cut up words at a page, glue them down and publish it without any revision what so ever. (i.e. Paolini.) xD

I agree.  I found the story kind of entertaining, but I could not stand the prose.  I was interested in the language-based magic system; I kind of liked the feel of it.  Then I read the first Earthsea book, which had a superficially similar language system, but which was actually well-written and threw my hands up as far as finding anything really new to like in Eragon.
Nature hates being reified.

libraloco

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 01:02:54 AM »
Hey, I know this is a little random--especially to post on this thread--but what is The Silence Divine? I've heard it mentioned a couple of times here and there, but nothing specific. Is it a new book that Brandon intends to write/publish after he finishes The Wheel of Time?

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 01:09:40 AM »
Silence Divine is a book he has outlined (I think it's at that point).  It's a shard world, and from what I understand of the plot, the magic system is... well, it's based around sickness.  The way it was explained to me once was you get a cold, but at the same time you would be able to breath fire.  Or else you get an ear infection and you'll also be able to fly.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

libraloco

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 02:35:45 AM »
Shards...is there a name for the one in Elantris, like the Mistborn trilogy's Ruin and Preservation and Warbreaker's Endowment? From what I can tell it has no name at this point, but I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here on the forums or not.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 02:37:35 AM by libraloco »

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2010, 02:45:06 AM »
Yes, those are shards.  The point behind them... well, go check out the shard thread.  It's too hard to summarize.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

libraloco

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2010, 03:37:55 AM »
Ha. Which one? Is it the "**SPOILERS** Shards of Adonalsium" one?

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2010, 04:30:45 AM »
Though, there is no name for any Shard other than Ruin, Preservation, or Endowment.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2010, 05:14:55 AM »
Though, there is no name for any Shard other than Ruin, Preservation, or Endowment.

At least none that we, the general readers, have been told.  I'm sure Brandon has them all named =P
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2010, 05:24:07 AM »
Well, I should hope so. ;)
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

libraloco

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2010, 05:40:06 AM »
I think that what he's doing is so cool--with the worlds that could be their own, but are connected by the fact that they have Shards. I can't wait to see what he does with this.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2010, 06:13:57 AM »
There are three confirmed shards and their names.  He told the fans that stuck around at one of the signings about the shard that will be in WoK.  And since I'm not sure if it is okay or not to share, I won't say what the shard is, or what attribute is attached to it, but I feel safe in saying that Brandon said it is the most dangerous shard we will meet.  (Or at the very least have met so far.  We are of two minds about which it is.)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 08:22:52 AM by firstRainbowRose »

Raphael

• Level 3
  • I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2010, 11:04:38 PM »
There are three confirmed shards and their names.  He told the fans that stuck around at one of the signings about the shard that will be in WoK.  And since I'm not sure if it is okay or not to share, I won't say what the shard is, or what attribute is attached to it, but I feel safe in saying that Brandon said it is the most dangerous shard we will meet.  (Or at the very least have met so far.  We are of two minds about which it is.)

Well, if Brandon shared it with you, you should be able to share it with us. ;)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2010, 01:43:32 AM »

LOL.  It should be pretty easy to tell once you can read it what the Shard is.  The others were.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 02:27:55 AM by Miyabi »
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。