Author Topic: Lost Season 6 = Well of Ascension (Possible Spoilers)  (Read 7493 times)

jdowntown

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Lost Season 6 = Well of Ascension (Possible Spoilers)
« on: February 18, 2010, 07:08:27 PM »
While watching the new episodes of Lost, I have come to think the plot is a close parallel to The Well of Ascension
In summary:
1.  Both have 2 fighting semi-god like characters(Jacob and Smoke-man)(Leras and Ati)
2.  They both started out as regular humans (at least smokeman claimed he was)
3.  The bad one is stuck and wants to escape. (The island or the Well)
4.  The bad one though powerful needs help from humans to help him escape.
5.  The good one is incapacitated or killed.
6.  Though incapacitated or killed, the good one is still able to have limited communication to further his plans.
7.  The good one is/was seeking for a successor.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 03:13:32 PM by jdowntown »

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Season 6 = Well of Ascension
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 08:04:51 PM »
that is a big stretch...

as a side note. i like lost, but I can never watch the broadcast. I have never seen a show with commercials every 7 minutes. it kills the pacing. I have to DVR it and fast forward.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 12:22:13 AM »

Has lost become a fantasy type show?  Wow, it's changed a lot since the beginning. o.e  What the heck is smokeman?

オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Troubadour

• Level 4
  • Fantabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 12:26:42 AM »

Has lost become a fantasy type show?

I would actually love to see this happen.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 12:34:38 AM »
it was called the smoke monster. it is sort of sci-fi/fantasy/mystery/everyone has issues

Omelethead

• Level 5
  • The Member Formerly Known as Gher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 01:11:45 AM »
Yeah, I was definitely getting a strong Preservation/Ruin vibe from Lost.

Has lost become a fantasy type show?  Wow, it's changed a lot since the beginning. o.e  What the heck is smokeman?

Yeah. I recommend you get a hold of the previous seasons from Netflix or a local library or something. Great show. No way you'd know what is going on if you started now though ;D.

zarepath

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 02:24:12 AM »
Honestly, I've felt a lot of the same things--namely, that the Jacob/Man-in-black conflict is very much a Ruin/Preservation conflict, where Gods are at work, using people as chess pieces, and nobody knows that's what's going on until near the end.

I don't think it's any kind of stretch to say the conflict this season is a lot like that of Well of Ascension and Hero of Ages, where the concept of being a "candidate" or the "Hero of Ages" comes into question.  Is the Hero of Ages concept a big con made to just serve some God's end?  Are forces greater than us manipulating our decisions? 

It'd be a huge feather in Sanderson's cap if he could get Cuse and Lindelof to admit some sort of inspiration from the Mistborn series, but I've got a feeling that all three of 'em just happen to be playing with the same Man vs. Gods meta-story.  Good stories both, though, for sure.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 01:19:50 PM »
The developed the ending to lost 2-3 years ago.

Mellington the loony Gold Misting

• Level 5
  • Hoid's deranged yet cute stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 03:06:06 PM »

WoA was published 3 years ago.

Pogi Dave

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 04:59:36 PM »
I quit watching when the fat guy gained weight.

I would say its a good chance one or more of the writers could have been 'influenced' by the Mistborn trilogy. 

Maybe they owe Brandon some royalties?  But he would probably have a tough time proving it.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 05:55:44 PM »
I wondered about the fat guy for a while. If he was really on that island he would have lost 100 pounds with all that walking around and lack of fatty foods. Then he would have gotten fat again when he went home.

asking a guy that large to lose wait may be tough, plus I think he is likeable as a fat guy.

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 07:35:47 PM »
! !SPOILER WARNING! ! (i'd put it in the title for people who havent watched the new season that actually want to.)

UGH! Lost is a total rip off! They stole the story from Brandon! Boooo Lost! Yaaaaaay Brandon! :)

I can see similarities, but then again, the idea of gods fighting and using humans to get what they want is older then brandon's source. Religion discusses it, Greek gods, Roman gods. Nothing new per se. But definitely suspicious!

You also forgot one thing!

8. They both use bodies of water for "healing".

Now there is no proof that the well in Lost is a god, but when Jacob dies, it changes color and doesn't work as supposed to.
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

Pogi Dave

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 07:46:43 PM »
What will probably happen is the producers of Lost will claim the Mistborn movie stole from them.    I think Tor should have it's lawyers give them a call.

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/856/Mistborn-Movie-News

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 10:40:08 PM »

WoA was published 3 years ago.
And Hero of Ages was written in early 2006.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Cynewulf

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 02:02:03 PM »
Lost has always been a fantasy show. It has never been a "Robinson Crusoe" type drama. The basic elements coming to fruition now were all introduced by the first three episodes of the first season - the light versus dark game "game", the smoke monster, the walking dead, the whispering in the jungle etc. That was in 2004. I think it is a big stretch to try and claim that they based this on WoA. I have, however, no problems in seeing the similarities, and actually did see quite many of them in the course of earlier seasons. If Sanderson has been an influence on Cuse and Lindelof, I am sure they will acknowledge it, as they have acknowledged plenty of their other inspirations. I just do not think it is the case in a major way, as I believe them when they say that they have "always viewed Lost as a show with a beginning, middle and end". They claim they have known the ending all along, and I am prone to believe them. I think it is much more of a safe bet to say that Sanderson and Lost have touched upon some common themes. It is not as if Sanderson has the copyright on water with healing capabilities, water/nature symbolising the status of a more cosmic struggle, and gods manifesting in the form of black smoke.