Author Topic: Chaos Theories  (Read 5244 times)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Chaos Theories
« on: February 17, 2010, 12:11:15 PM »
The first installment of my new series of articles is now on the front page of TWG (thanks Nessa!). Discuss!

Meanwhile, I should probably work on the next installment.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Chaos Theories
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 11:32:01 PM »
Yes sorry it took so long for me to post. I didn't see it there among all that other spam. Email me next time and I'll get it up faster.

http://www.timewastersguide.com/article/1695/Chaos-Theories
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 11:35:59 PM »
Sure thing. I just really didn't know the protocol on it all. SE just wanted more articles on the front page, so I thought submitting it through there was the way to go. Do you want me to just directly email the article, or use the Submit form on the site and email you?

Needless to say, I should get to work on my next one.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 11:49:30 PM »
Submit then email me, because I don't always check the queue.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 11:55:06 PM »
What's the skinny on these articles?  Who can write them?  Do they go through a screening process?  What's fair game?
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 12:45:53 AM »
What's the skinny on these articles?  Who can write them?  Do they go through a screening process?  What's fair game?

Anyone can, ostensibly. They do go through a screening process; Nessa or another administrator approves them.

As for what is fair game, well, SaintEhlers said anything that would be of interest to the TWG community would be good. He said:

I'm variable on content focus. If it's of interest to sf/f nerds, then it's of interest to the site.

as for content, we do have our roots in down-home mormonism. I think that we should stay PG-13 rated.

So that's pretty general.

I just decided to make a column because occasionally people 'round here find my ranting interesting.

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 12:54:35 AM »
Congrats on getting your first column up. I think you sent it to me a while back, but I'll have to go read it again. After my essay is due. :P

Maybe I'll do something like that sometime, if I ever think of anything to say ::)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 01:09:52 AM »
Congrats on getting your first column up. I think you sent it to me a while back, but I'll have to go read it again. After my essay is due. :P

I sent it to you? Hmmm... yeah, I suppose I did :) I got confused, since its been posted up on my blog for a while now.

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 04:05:09 AM »
You did. You asked me to read it over. :P

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 06:06:33 AM »
The next installment of Chaos Theories involves sharks with laser eyes.

If that doesn't get you excited, I don't know what will.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 11:41:30 AM »
Actual sharks with laser eyes.

I really like the article, and I'm glad I hit the front page today. :) Keep 'em coming.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 12:01:17 PM »
I'm sorry, but thinking people and life in general are logical is against my religion. Confusion is the natural state of the universe, and the source from which my ideas spring forth. Logic just muddies things up, and is an open invitation to Greyface to attempt to rob me of blessed discord.

Besides, once you introduce math to a concept, I will instantly fail to understand it. If I allow this idea of yours to take root, I'll never be able to write again. :P

Nice work, but I look forward more to the comfortable wackyness of laser-eyed sharks. Fnord!
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 04:59:52 PM »
My original plan for this next one had a lot more physics in it. Instead of that, you get laser-eyed sharks.

And yes, actual laser eyed sharks. They are also sentient.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 05:06:19 PM by Chaos2651 »

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 11:37:58 PM »
I rather enjoyed that article. Makes complete and utter sense to me. I get similar reactions, as I'm an English major, Geology minor (well, partial geology minor). One arts, one sciences. My choice makes sense to me, but when I say what my major is to the Geology people, they can't figure it out. English? But this is the sciences....

Also, oddly enough, I understand myself a little better after reading that. Understanding people's reasoning is something that interests me. I've been told I'm extremely logical and analytical, and that whole paragraph about emotional logic struck me as being right. If I don't understand why a person would do something, I think it out logically until I do understand. And you're right. Characters should be written the same way. They're people in a story. Write them as if they are people.

And lastly, this:
The method of writing isn't "logical", they'd argue. Imagination isn't logical. Ideas come from this strange place which no one can really explain.

It bugs me when people say this, because most of the time they're talking about fantasy and how the author who wrote a certain piece of work doesn't have to make sense in their writing. It's fantasy, and fiction, and the writer can write it however they want to....I disagree with that, but agree with your statement later in that paragraph. The combination of the ideas needs to be logical, even if the ideas themselves are not. The plot needs to make sense. It doesn't matter if it's fantasy or a paper for an English class--logic is crucial.

Oh, and laser-eyed sharks sound awesome...Looking forward to that. Do they have anything to do with Shiro? :P
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 01:01:22 AM »
I do think that one of the critical issues for distinguishing "magic" from advanced science that is just beyond our understanding is in the effect.  The specific effect of the "magic" needs to cause a localized disruption in or violation of Newtonian Physics.

If the "magic" makes you sprout wings that are physically consistent with making a 4kilo human fly, complete with additional musculature, adp/atp resources brain centers, spinal channels and instinct, fine.  But if it takes extended periods of metamorphosis due to genetic tampering it's not magic.  If it's instantaneous metamorphosis with no biologically sound causal agent it is magic.  (e.g. Lumleys vampires and Resident Evil's zombies just aren't magical)

Not feeling the laser eyed sharks.  I like my bio lasers packaged in beautiful, heavily muscled genetically compatible humanoids from planets named for elemental gases. :P
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.