Author Topic: Wheel of Time Question  (Read 4100 times)

Snipeye

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Wheel of Time Question
« on: February 14, 2010, 06:30:42 AM »
I'm sure this has probably been asked already, but what happens when Gateway meets Cuendillar (I think I spelled that right...)?

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel of Time Question
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 07:47:30 AM »
Cuendillar likely trumps gateway, so my guess would be either the gateway stops opening or it pushes the heartstone out of the way. In either case, the cuendillar remains undamaged and likely stronger from the attempt.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 10:23:23 AM »
Unless of course it's a decayed seal :)

Shivertongue

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 10:48:40 AM »
Well, obviously. This applies only to cuendillar that is not one of the weakening seals of the Dark One's prison.  :D
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 03:56:43 PM »
www.dragonmount.com

That is a good question. can you ask it there also? Lot more WoT nuts (I mean fans like me) there.

Omelethead

• Level 5
  • The Member Formerly Known as Gher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 07:14:46 PM »
RJ said that the opening gateway would push the cuendillar out of the way. What could be interesting is if they made a cuendillar doorframe, and inserted it in a gateway and then let the gateway try to close around it.

Snipeye

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 08:25:40 PM »
So what would happen if there was, say, a hollow rectangle made of cuendillar, and the gateway was opened inside of it?  The cuendillar cannot be moved, (or broken, cut, etc) so the gateway just stops opening?

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 06:29:02 AM »
RJ said that the opening gateway would push the cuendillar out of the way. What could be interesting is if they made a cuendillar doorframe, and inserted it in a gateway and then let the gateway try to close around it.

Wouldn't it just get pushed out?

Omelethead

• Level 5
  • The Member Formerly Known as Gher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 05:38:30 PM »

Wouldn't it just get pushed out?

Well, if you positioned it right, and possibly had a groove running around the outside of the cuendillar frame, that the gateway could get caught in, then you could have a gateway that never closes. Similar to tying a weave off, but with the added safety of not worrying about brushing the edges of the gateway.

It's kind of funny, this exact thing was discussed very recently at www.readandfindout.com (which I'll shamelessly plug for any WoT fans here.)

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 10:53:25 PM »
The questions that some authors have to answer.... it is impossible to create a flawless fantasy world since there is no such thing as magic. I saw one of Brandons book signings on google video. Someone asked him whether RJ wrote about some physics law that explains how drawing the one power from the true source does not drain the true source. Since in the real world physics would not allow what RJ is doing. He didn't get it.

dude... this is make believe.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 04:01:44 AM »
The questions that some authors have to answer.... it is impossible to create a flawless fantasy world since there is no such thing as magic. I saw one of Brandons book signings on google video. Someone asked him whether RJ wrote about some physics law that explains how drawing the one power from the true source does not drain the true source. Since in the real world physics would not allow what RJ is doing. He didn't get it.

dude... this is make believe.

This attitude always puzzles me.  As a physicist myself, I guess I am somewhat closer to the theories than many others, so I am much more aware of where the limits of our knowledge are.  Add a new element like the one power (or in the real world, particles or dimensions we didn't know about) and all bets are off.  For instance, General Relativity can violate global  conservation of energy.  Because we can't experiment with the situations needed to produce this effect, there is nothing wrong with General Relativity from this prediction; we just have to accept that our Law of Conservation of Energy may have limits.  Of course, when we get to the point where we can test the prediction, we will.  Taking something like that on faith is unscientific.
Nature hates being reified.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 05:09:07 AM »
Science is beastly just because of it's meaning, the search for knowledge. Which is why you have the natural sciences and the social sciences (and I enjoy both).
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Raphael

• Level 3
  • I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 06:38:43 AM »
I'm sure this has probably been asked already, but what happens when Gateway meets Cuendillar (I think I spelled that right...)?

It's believed that the True Power (from the DO) can destroy cuendillar. So, if the Gateway is made by the TP, then it will slice it. But, if it's made by the OP, then I predict it would either push it away, or, if it is large, contour to the shape of the cuendillar.

drackmire

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 11:05:42 AM »
Knowing what I know now, I would have finished reading through the WoT series. I stopped halfway through book 4 because RJ can drone on and on about nothing (probably why it took so long to get to where it is now), but seeing as how it's being completed by Brandon Sanderson, I may have a reason to finally finish the series. I should probably just read from the beginning again. Please tell me it gets better after book 4.
Currently Reading: Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson

Shivertongue

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 11:20:14 AM »
Knowing what I know now, I would have finished reading through the WoT series. I stopped halfway through book 4 because RJ can drone on and on about nothing (probably why it took so long to get to where it is now), but seeing as how it's being completed by Brandon Sanderson, I may have a reason to finally finish the series. I should probably just read from the beginning again. Please tell me it gets better after book 4.

There's much debate on that. I, personally, enjoyed every book except for the tenth, Crossroads of Twilight, and even then it wasn't completely bad. Most people will tell you nothing really happens in books 7-11, which I tend to disagree with for the most part. Winter's Heart, the ninth book (and possibly my favourite), had some very major things happen and significant advancement.

However, if you didn't enjoy the first four, you may not enjoy the ones that follow. Which will make The Gathering Storm and subsequent Sanderson WoT novels incredibly confusing.