7 (10.3%)
Warbreaker
17 (25%)
Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians
2 (2.9%)
Alcatraz Versus the Scrivener's Bones
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: Favourite book  (Read 13663 times)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: Favourite book
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2009, 06:21:55 AM »
Considering happyman is a physics grad student, I will happily defer to him :)
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

happyman

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2009, 04:52:57 PM »
Buffalo Feathers!!! Physics can explain any phenomna that occurs in the natural world...breathing, blood circulation, whatnot. The problem that arrises is that by using something overly complex to explain a basic principle is that it becomes cumbersome, thus the birth of the other sciences. Basic Biology and Chemistry are cake walk classes Physics kicked me around...it ended up alright, but it kicked me around.

Perhaps I should supply some context for my statements.  I have a Ph.D. in physics (earned it in August), and have also taken college level introductory biology and AP chemistry (plus there is a certain amount of overlap between statistical physics and inorganic chemistry).  While you may have found biology and chemistry classes easier than physics, in my opinion this does not relate to how complex the fields are for the purposes of this discussion.

First of all, physics is actually an older discipline, in terms of its scientific development, than biology.  This means that part of the reason physics is harder is because we have had time to get to the really hard problems, whereas biology is still scratching the surface.  Biology spent a long time flailing around to find even the basic principles and is only now really beginning to find the proper quantitative methods for getting the same kind of depth already available in physics.  If you try to solve truly comparable problems, in terms of predictive power, biology is much more difficult than physics at every step.  In your biology classes, you solved enormously simpler problems than you did in your physics classes, but this is not inherent to the disciplines but rather a side-effect of the way we teach them.

Part of the reason this lack of relative depth is not obvious is because biology is something we experience much more directly than we do physics.  It is part of our life, and we have well-developed intuition to deal with things like animals and other people.  Things just happen.  Thus the true complexity of the system is masked by the fact that we ourselves are correspondingly complex and know how to deal with it.  We don't realize that explanations and descriptions given in daily life hide a lot of complexity that would come out in a full quantitative treatment on par with the normal physics descriptions.

In addition, the world is fairly regular, even in biology.  However, the complexity in biology allows exceptions to "bubble up" that physics can't tolerate.  In physics, an electron is an electron and all electrons are absolutely identical (this can be stated mathematically and has noticeable effects on the world around us.  Like that it exists.)  In physics there are on the order of 32 fundamental particles, maybe a few more.  Their behavior is unintuitive and difficult to understand, but has been almost completely solved in real-world situations barring interactions (which is where biology comes from).

The number of species in biology on the other hand, is enormous.  I don't even know where to start.  Even within species, we get exceptions.  A cat, is not just a cat.  Many cats behave similarly, until you get the cat with a mental disorder.  The sheer richness of biology dwarfs that of physics.  The behavior is enormously subtle and cannot be predicted with anything like the precision physics has.  The biosphere is orders of magnitude more complex than anything mentioned in a physics textbook; this is glossed over in biology classes simply because you know what the biosphere is already and don't demand that your teacher make predictions for the biosphere that are as good as the predictions we have for the orbit of Mars.

This is being addressed, of course, by biologists or physics who dabble in biology, or whatever.  However, it is fairly simple to make an introductory course in biology and get handed only easy problems while *feeling* like the material is comparable to the hard problems presented in physics.  Hence the illusion.
Nature hates being reified.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2009, 05:38:25 PM »
Ahem, I apologize, Ph D in physics, not grad student :) How silly of me.

LinuxForAll

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2009, 05:51:55 PM »
* Spoilers contained below *

You know that it is funny that my favorite book by Brandon is also the same book that I am most frustrated with. This would be Hero of Ages. I really enjoyed the Mistborn trilogy and the Hero of Ages was a fantastic final installment of this series. There were plot twists that I did not see coming and the characters inner struggles really added to their development. I was completely fooled about Vin's earing being a hemalurgic spike. I usually am good about picking up these twists, but that was a wow moment for me. I picked up on Spook's spike right away and knew what was going on there, but Vin's spike fooled me. I really liked Sazed's internal struggles with faith and how he finally came to terms with it. I am not an overly religious person of even share the same religion as Brandon does, but faith and religion is a topic that is so prevalent in the real world that I always find it surpassing that it is commonly glossed over or even ignored in other Fantasy / Sci Fi books. Also I am not the type of person who get emotional when reading books or watching movies, but the ending touched me and yanked on my emotions so much that I had a hard time focusing on anything else for some time immediately after finishing the book.

** Warning Rant follows **

Ok enough  praising of the book. Now let me mention what frustrated me. I watched the development of  Vin's character starting as the frighten street thief and saw her grow and have to deal with conflicts and struggles. I normally don't get attached to characters as rule, but she had gone through so much in her life that I really wanted her to have a happy ending. When she died, it ripped my heart out and wanted to yell “How can you do that to her after everything she has been through!!”. Yes I understand the whole after live thing at the end and how Sazed mentioned in his note to Spook that both Vin and Elend were happy and at piece. But of all the characters, Vin was my favorite and killing her off frustrated me to no end.

** End of Rant **

Even with Vin dying (grrrrrr) I really enjoyed the book and would recommend it and the series to others.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2009, 05:25:58 AM »
Yeah i just remembered what my uncle (who graduated 1st in his class at Rice for his Phd in astro physics needless to say as Suma Kumlaudi) told me about our debate earlier. First he laughed, then he explained that no science was more important or more difficult than any other though some are progressing faster than others.

And why are there so little votes for FE
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2009, 10:10:11 AM »
Yeah i just remembered what my uncle (who graduated 1st in his class at Rice for his Phd in astro physics needless to say as Suma Kumlaudi) told me about our debate earlier. First he laughed, then he explained that no science was more important or more difficult than any other though some are progressing faster than others.

And why are there so little votes for FE

It's kinda hard for a book that's establishing a universe to really go all-out and wow us because there's a tendency to overwhelm us with new information. Mistborn did pretty well on that front. :)

Skywalkered

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2009, 11:30:56 AM »
Yeah all I meant by saying that BioChroma was more complex was that it was more complex to me. I understand the whole "What comes up must come down" (steel and iron, obviously. Although that saying doesn't quite apply, but you know what I mean) really well because, well, it's kinda apart of life. Plus, think about it a little. Tin increases your senses, pewter increases your body's abilites, brass and Zinc roit and soothe your emotions, Copper and broze reveal and hide sources of other allomancy. Just doesn't seem hard to grasp to me. Biology kicks my butt however which is probably a reason why I think BioChroma is complex. I completely disregarded Aeon Dor by mistake though, and now remember how flipping hard it was for me to grasp. I'll give you that one lol, but in all seriousness, Allomancy WAS easy to understand. BioChroma takes a bit more, esspecially when considering the sheer possibilites of it (plus it's complications with actual use and mastery of commands) which was showcased somewhat at the end of the book by Susebron getting a tongue.
I didn't mean to start an off topic discussion lol. Just stating my opinion and all.  ;)
Life can be a fairy tale. My life is an Autobiography on the worst seller list.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2009, 06:05:40 PM »
I'm going to go off on a limb here and say most original was WoA and most skillfully written Elantris...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2009, 07:22:34 PM »
I'm going to go off on a limb here and say most original was WoA and most skillfully written Elantris...

I'd say most skillfully written was Warbreaker.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2009, 08:30:40 PM »
I'd say most skillfully written was Warbreaker.

I would agree...As for original--Mistborn. Not sure which one, because I thought the whole trilogy was very original, but it's one of those three.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2009, 09:39:14 PM »
Yeah all I meant by saying that BioChroma was more complex was that it was more complex to me. I understand the whole "What comes up must come down" (steel and iron, obviously. Although that saying doesn't quite apply, but you know what I mean) really well because, well, it's kinda apart of life. Plus, think about it a little. Tin increases your senses, pewter increases your body's abilites, brass and Zinc roit and soothe your emotions, Copper and broze reveal and hide sources of other allomancy. Just doesn't seem hard to grasp to me. Biology kicks my butt however which is probably a reason why I think BioChroma is complex. I completely disregarded Aeon Dor by mistake though, and now remember how flipping hard it was for me to grasp. I'll give you that one lol, but in all seriousness, Allomancy WAS easy to understand. BioChroma takes a bit more, esspecially when considering the sheer possibilites of it (plus it's complications with actual use and mastery of commands) which was showcased somewhat at the end of the book by Susebron getting a tongue.
I didn't mean to start an off topic discussion lol. Just stating my opinion and all.  ;)

For the record, I agree with you, and I think you've stated my argument much more concisely than did!
Nature hates being reified.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2009, 04:13:00 AM »
I think WoA is the most original because it answers a question ignored by storytellers... and then? Yeah big baddy went by by but everyone else is still around what happens to them?

FireArt

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2009, 02:23:15 AM »
I have to say I really enjoyed the scientific debate a few posts back! It was most entertaining. ;D

This is a hard one for me. I started reading Sanderson's books when I found out he was finishing Jordon's books so I could get a feel for his writing style. I finished Elantris the first day and headed straight to the book store and bought all thee Mistborn books and had those done in the next four days. As you can guess, I loved them and bought Warbreaker as soon as it was out.

I think I would have to say that Warbreaker was the most entertaining on an overall level simpliy because it had a little bit of everyting in it; romance, action, magic, suspence, plot twists and especially humor. Lightsong was my absolute favorite character out of all the books simply because I just couldn't stop laughing at him. (He kinda reminds me of my husband, but I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad ting ;) )
I loved the dialogue between the characters in this book as well. Plus, he left plenty of room at the end for more, which is always good.

However, that being said, HOA was definitely epic and had me in tears at the end, so it is a very close second. Since I have read all of his books at least twice (some three times) in the last few months, I'd say they are all definitely very worthy books in my opinion.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2009, 03:31:30 AM »
I think The Final Empire is still my favorite. That book gets a great deal of mileage out of the heist motif, and a great deal of tension out of the fact that the characters are in over their heads pretty much from page one, and it's unclear how they could possibly succeed right up until they do. All of their victories are sweeter for how hard they were won.

Warbreaker is fun, and I do appreciate its lighter tone, but TFE is vividly burned into my memory.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
    • View Profile
What's your favorite Brandon Sanderson book?
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2010, 11:03:33 PM »
Which Brandon Sanderson book is your favorite?  Personally mine is The Well of Ascension (but I've only read the Msitborn Trilogy so far).